Time Signature?

real 4:4?.xrns (177.0 KB)

sounds like a house beat to me, lol

Buuuut, I know what you’re sayin’ :slight_smile:

that’s the great thing about music… and renoise’s approach to rhythm and time sigs… It can be whatever you want it to be

Yeah the hihat has uneven distances and there’s no way you can change this. Anyway, nice house beat! :wink:

thanks!

there’s always the delay column, too… but yeah, it’s definitely more convenient to work in certain LPBs depending on what yr going for :+1:

That’s right. Maybe I also should try out something with weird LPB and pattern lengths. But my music is straight and electronic, just like my setting. My template is 16 LPB and a pattern length of 256 lines. With this “real 4/4” setting you can also make “crooked beats” like yours if you want to, but at the same time it stays “real 4/4”. :upside_down_face:

Thanks for explanation guys, really helped! I’m gonna keep reading about it and may your comments help people 13 years from now as well! haha

2 Likes

This is “real 4/4” it is just subdivided atypically. Also you can make as you say real 4/4 with 18 lpb all you need do is access the delay lines.

What do you mean? As long as there’s no option of exactly the same distances of 4 instruments within one beat it’s not what I was calling “real 4/4”, and as long as your LPB setting isn’t divisible by 4 this is the case.

It would just be every nine lines dude.You don’t even need the delay lines for that.You would only need them for higher resolution rolls and such.

If u wanted straight sixteenths u would do 01,04 delay 80, 09, 013 delay 80

I don’t know what you’re talkin’ about. There’s absolutely no way with 18 LPB to get a straight 4/4 beat with instruments having exactly the same distances to each other. It’s mathematics, and mathematics is always right.

think @ToybOx is saying that if you want straight 16th notes with an lpb of 18 you would place your notes on:

line 00, no delay
line 04, delay 80
line 09, no delay
line 013, delay 80

the delay values on the second and fourth lines splitting the difference between that line and the next and placing your notes as temporally equidistant. like so: real 4_4.xrns (177.0 KB)

you can def do straight 4/4 with LPB 18, but it’s a touch less convenient

the math checks out :upside_down_face:

ok set your lpb to 18. put a hit on lines 00 then on line 03 with a delay of 80 then one on 9 then on line 13 with a delay of 80. What you will hear is four equal divisions of a single beat with 18 lpb. Try it.

That’s what I thought, but with this method you’re just turning 18 LPB into something else by delay.
So actually this method makes no sense. :wink:

No your not,your just temporarily doubling the resolution. Your not getting it.

Of course, but temporarily doubling the resolution also means in this sense to temporarily change the LPB. But I see what it brings to you. You can make a straight beat by delay, but all the other tracks are not affected, right?! Anyway, it still doesn’t make any sense in my eyes. :slightly_smiling_face:

feels like we’re literally splitting hairs in this thread, lol

makes perfect sense to me. I use delay values often to create rhythmic subdivisions that fall across the line “grid.” not saying I want to work in 18 LPB as a matter of course, just saying that the software is plenty flexible to accommodate even rigid interpretations of straight 4/4 (or any other divisive meter, for that matter) using non-standard LPBs

Its completely logical,its simply just another tracker technique.

Your getting way too hung up about lpb. 4/4 just means 4 beats per bar.It doesn’t matter the lpb its subdivided into, so long as there is 4 beats per bar.

1 Like

Well yes, that’s why I said “in my eyes”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely right! :+1:
I never denied that, I just called 4 instruments having the same distance to each other within one beat “real 4/4”. It was meant to be part of the explanation of how to get to the pattern length if you want to have 4/4. It’s the easiest way to understand. But I also learned something, because I forgot about the delay technique. Personally I just don’t need it. You can get the same result with other “techniques”. zensphere is right, that’s great about Renoise or trackers in general.

That’s what you said. I’m trying to help you understand

Indeed, that’s what I said and what I’m still thinking. I don’t say it doesn’t make no sense in general. Personally I think 16 LPB or more and a pattern length of 256 or more would be the better way getting the same result. But as always everyone has their own method. Ah, and not to mention that “makes no sense” was also related to “18 LPB” and a straight beat without adding delay (which is not possible mathematically). But I have to admit that I was wrong, you can have a straight beat with 18 LPB if you’re using delay, so in a way it does make sense. Just not for me personally, I clearly prefer another way. I remember that I used this method myself on Protracker back then, but as I said, I forgot about it. I’m not sure but I think it was a little bit different on Protracker, not exactly the same thing, but with a similar result. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.