Time Stretch And Distortion

Hello everybody,

It’s been many years that i have been using renoise, this software has been making great progress, but there are 2 features I would love to see, and since i finally made the move to purchase it, maybe i can make my wishes 2012 :)

First would be a time stretch effect, I know that we can do it using the pattern command, i’ve been doing it for years, but it would be really cool to have this little plug that would help to choose different type of “stretching” (lol)something like how many times you want the sample to repeat (0901 0902) or (0901 0901 0902 0902) coupled with a SYNC option, so whatever the sample you’re playing it could automatically sync with the length of your pattern, meaning your sample start and end at the same time of your “selected pattern” 64/128/256 or the entire track why not, there is a lot of possibilities and I don’t expect this effect to be perfect at his first release, but I hope you get my point? :) maybe something similar to that Randomize Note plug.

The second effect I would like to see improvements, is the distortion, I don’t know for others but I like noise and brutality, I simply can’t make it with the native distortion. I can’t get the same strength and power as when i use plugs such as fuzzbox quadrafuzz or ohmicide. Of course, i could just keep using those plugs but my dream is one effect away to be completed and it’s to use renoise without third party software.

What do you guys think about it? Maybe I missed something?

Excuse me for my lack of technical words, I never really took the time to understand the technology rather i just use my ears.

Cheers

1. I totally agree with you here. Octamed (for the Amiga) had this as a built-in function 17 years ago, so it should be doable.
  2. A tip: use the amp sim and chain several distortion dsps in a row, each one on low settings. Use filters and eqs that boost the bass before and in between the distortion dsps, but don’t take any bass out before the end of the chain. Subtle flanges and choruses can make the sound come alive and sweep through frequencies of distortion, which is cool for many sounds. The end result is something a lot more powerful than one distortion dsp cranked way up. Experiment. If you get a cool sounding chain up and running you can save it and use it for later projects.

I think Suva’s rubberband implementation solves the timestretching issue: http://tools.renoise.com/tools/rubberband-timestretchpitch-shift

This, + bump this thread for my requested timestretching-tool, exploiting the offset command:

& you can always stack multiple native devices to achieve a rawer sound.

Thanks for your advices Sam, just one question, what do you call the “amp sim”?

^ Cabinet Simulator :)

@Sam: thanks for that advice, useful tips, will try them out.

The rubberband is good but it changes the sample, the point was to use different time stretch without altering the sample itself so it has to be in the pattern command, my method was to save a xnrs with different type of time stretch already written so i can just copy paste, though it is still very limited (as soon as you change the length of the pattern it becomes useless) compare to what could give you a new dsp.

By amp sim I meant the Cabinet Simulator. The normal set up for a guitar is to have the effect pedals first, then the amp, but there is no reason why you shouldn’t add more stuff after the the amp (or Cabinet Simulator) if that sounds good.

EDIT: this isn’t guitar playing, after all.

1. Yesssss! +1

2. A lot of the reason that the distortion sounds hollow in my opinion is that they work on l/r rather than mid/side, try using a l/r2mid/side wrapper dsp before and after the distortion or try adding an exciter after the distortion. Also, yes, the cabinet simulator is usually nicer than the distortion dsp.
    Many distortion DSPs distort low/mid/high seperately and work on mid/side and you can set this up by purely using native effects but on simple effects such as saturation and distortion why bother? There are plenty of VSTs, AUs and LADSPAs available for free. Besides distortion usually has no identifiable characteristics so you won’t be able to tell what distortion is used just by listening anyways.

Rubberband is fine, but I want abletonstyle time stretch and automatic adaptation to the project tempo.