Tool development: Arturia KeyLab mkII 49/61 (MCU MIDI messages)

Following the ration for this MIDI controller, Arturia released a new firmware with the launch of the KeyLab 88 MKII. This new firmware adds another DAW mode that allows to control only the transport buttons (it is possible that someone read this forum). The rest of the buttons that are up are orphaned again. For Renoise it is still necessary to build a specific tool to control everything, the top 8 buttons as well as the transport buttons and the entire central panel of the controller.

However, I must say that I am delighted with this Arturia Midi controler (KeyLab 49 mkII).

By the way, the KeyLab 88 MkII costs almost ā‚¬ 900, for me, an excessive price, even if the keys have changed.

Just I say that if someone is interested in acquiring a keyboard KeyLab 49 mkII of these (even if itā€™s second-hand, how I did), you can use it with Renoise and the tool Iā€™m finishing. The second-hand market is sometimes a great opportunity.

1 Like

The Arturia KeyLab mkII tool is almost finished. This is the final aspect:
arturia_keylab_mkii

If someone has a physical KeyLab mkII of Arturia and wants to use this super-tool with Renoise, let me know and I will upload it to the Renoise web tools server.

4 Likes

@Raul please do upload it, Iā€™d be really interested in using it!

Ok, letā€™s see if this week I have time and I upload the first version finished. You will see that having this is a luxury!

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have time to create a user guide. You will have to do tests yourself. When you try it, if you have any questions, you can ask in the thread where the tool will be published.

2 Likes

@Raul if you have the code somewhere public I could have a go at the user guide (can put it in a pull request on GitHub, for example)

1 Like

I donā€™t know if I have explained myself well.

There will not be a user guide (I donā€™t have time for that, it costs a lot of work and is very little appreciated by people). I only intend to share the XRNX tool. You just have to install it and thatā€™s it. I may put some basic ā€œhow to get startedā€ instructions next to the tool link. It will be available in the tools section of the renoise.com website.

I will share it because I know it is very frustrating what Arturia has done with this MIDI controller keyboard, leaving many of its extra buttons dead, which are not compatible with the standard MIDI input.

Raul, i think @rudenoise tried to ask if itā€™s okay with you from him to help you by making ā€œmanualā€ by looking thru your code

• correct me if iā€™m wrong

@Raul @dspasic thatā€™s right! I really appreciate the project, was looking for a way to show gratitude and help out

Thanks for the hard work, either way!

2 Likes

Oh! Of course! Maybe I have misunderstood. Sorry!

Feel free to create a manual yourself in English if you consider it appropriate. It could be linked in the publication thread of the tool. You can take the LUA code from the tool and do whatever you want with it, as long as you respect the authorship.

To make a user manual, I do not think that you will see the internal LUA code (it is somewhat complex). Yes you can describe the things that can be done using the tool from Arturiaā€™s MIDI keyboard.

As soon as I publish the tool I will comment here too.

1 Like

Raul this tool is rather nice looking, i just might buy some controller from arturia :stuck_out_tongue:
Really it looks so tempting!

This situation is a bit strange.

1. Renoise costs less than ā‚¬ 100. It is a tremendously cheap software for everything you can do.
  2. The Arturia KeyLab MKii keyboard with only 46 keys costs more than ā‚¬ 400 new (I bought it second-hand at half the price).
  3. As the firmware of this keyboard comes, the extra control buttons for DAW are useless for Renoise and many other DAWs, because these buttons are not mappable with the standard MIDI input. Then you are buying an expensive and ā€œtrimmedā€ keyboard, very well thought out so that you can continue to buy Arturia software and continue depending on this brand. Half of the price you pay is for the additional software that comes with the keyboard.

So, people who buy and use Renoise donā€™t spend so much money on expensive hardware.

Seeing all this context, it is necessary to create a specific tool so that this keyboard can be used with Renoise, it is painful. And this is not Renoiseā€™s fault. The company responsible for this ruling is Arturia.

However, thanks to this tool, you will have one of the best MIDI controllers for Renoise today. I would recommend buying second hand. Surely many users are not happy with Arturia for these details, and they will sell their second-hand product.

On the other side is the 88-key KeyLab Mk2. A price exaggeration for a keyboard that is basically a DAW controller, with connection extras that nobody will use. Not even Arturiaā€™s advertising boasts such extra rear connections. Itā€™s a bit of a joke that in all the ads just hang a USB cable from behind.

Manufacturers are doing the impossible to get money with extras out of place, confusing this with ā€œthe evolutionā€ of the hardware.

So yes, it is a somewhat strange situation.

Finally, the first version of the ā€œArturia KeyLab mkIIā€ tool has been published here:

Please, if you find any problem with the handling of the tool or any suggestions, comment in that linkā€¦

Ejoy it!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.