Track Column Recording Behavior -- is this possible?

My question concerns how new columns inside a single track are generated when recording. I know that by default Renoise will generate a new column whenever multiple notes are played at the same time (unless Mono is enabled), so that a chord is formed, or legato playback (new note on with old note still held), etc.

But let’s say I’m using a Renoise Instrument, and it’s a drum kit – multiple samples in the instruments, and I’ve hit the “drum kit” button in the keymap tab so that each sample gets its own key.

Now let’s say I want to record me doing a take wherein I play the kick, the snare and a hi-hat, all being played on my MIDI keyboard (but it could be from my computer keyboard, too).

Here’s the crux of it – What if I want the Kick sample to always get recodred into track column 1, the Snare sample to always get recorded into track column 2, and the hi hat sample to always get recorded into column 3.

This way I can play all three samples, have renoise record them, but afterward have a very organized three-column track with each sample playing in its own column.

Is there any method to do this? I realize that I can do three, separate recording takes (kick, then snare, then hat…) and create a new column to record into each time, which gives me exactly the results I want, but it requires three separate recordings to do it. Is there anyway to control (perhaps with a tool, if it’s not possible with the native config?) how the incoming drum kit notes from the Renoise instrument get placed into the track, such that this organization occurs when recording all three parts at once?

thanks!

-M

I don’t think there’s anything native for this. There are a couple of tools for note sorting, one of which places all unique notes in their own column. I’m pretty certain this is a case where you’ll have to use a tool to adjust things after recording.

There are a couple of tools for note sorting, one of which places all unique notes in their own column.

That’s precisely what I’m looking for, I’ll have to go scan the tools to see if I can find it, but if anybody knows which it is, lemme know!

Try VoiceRunner (https://www.renoise.com/tools/voicerunner) sorting low-to-high, method unique.

I made a tool specifically for this problem, but my solution was to sort each drum sample into a different track (and then optionally group all those tracks together): https://www.renoise.com/tools/split-into-separate-tracks

I made a tool specifically for this problem, but my solution was to sort each drum sample into a different track (and then optionally group all those tracks together): https://www.renoise.com/tools/split-into-separate-tracks

Cool, I’ll check it out, thanks! And FWIW, the Voicerunner tool is working pretty well for this, too, though it sorts by columns rather than into new tracks. Both approaches could have their uses!

Is there any method to do this? …

Yes!I have been creating a tool that, among other things, does exactly that. It is possible to assign different instruments to be recorded on separate tracks at the same time, or different instruments to be recorded on the same track using the same note or not. Combinations of this style. For percussion kits it is tremendously useful. You can map the tool using MIDI Input, so you can play all the instruments in their corresponding tracks, whether you want to use the same track or separate tracks. Everything will be recorded where it corresponds and you will not have to jump between instruments.

Yes!I have been creating a tool that, among other things, does exactly that. It is possible to assign different instruments to be recorded on separate tracks at the same time, or different instruments to be recorded on the same track using the same note or not. Combinations of this style. For percussion kits it is tremendously useful. You can map the tool using MIDI Input, so you can play all the instruments in their corresponding tracks, whether you want to use the same track or separate tracks. Everything will be recorded where it corresponds and you will not have to jump between instruments.

Great, let me know when you have it posted to the site!

-M