Trigger Sub-Samples By Key In Instrument

hey there.

i sometimes have a long sample in an instrument and i save ranges (sub-samples) from it into other sample slots in the instrument and assign the sub-samples to instrument keys. keeps all sub-samples nice and organised and handy to trigger in the track editor.

what i’d like to be able to do is assign ranges (between offsets) of the long (master) sample to keys in the instrument. that way only the one long sample needs to be stored in the xrni and i can trigger whatever sub-samples i want as desired.

i think this would be a brilliant addition to renoise.

someone in renoise irc mentioned to me that they think you can do this in NI Kontact, but i think it would be a great improvement to have this native in a sample based daw like renoise.

thanks,

• anko

any settings (looping, for example) you would want to apply to a individual ‘snippet’, would necessarily have to be applied to the full sample, and would thus be applied to all individual snippets. seeing that it has been suggested to expand the possibilities of sample-based instruments by adding the ability to make adjustments to individual samples (envelope-per-sample etc.), which would only extend the range of my argument here.

for this reason it would be better, IMO, to just use the function ‘copy selection into new sample’, as you say you are already doing. i don’t really see the problem with this? if i am missing your point, please explain.

for those cases where sub-samples do not have individual adjustments or loops, and there are a lot of sub-samples, would be more efficient, reduce size of song data, increase saving speed etc…

The Sample Slicer tool for 2.6 by It-Alien handles the case of non-overlapping, uniformly-sized sub-samples pretty well, sans the RAM-saving benefits (if you wanted to keep the original sample uncut).

anyone interested in what i was trying to get at here, go to this topic instead:

it incorporates the idea i was having here as well and is much more descriptive.

“Offsets could be automated to match actual transients rather than even spacing”

Now that, I like. Go this :)