Tutorials.renoise.com

Effect Commands:

Instrument number, volume, and panning are not “effects”. Why are they listed under “effect commands”?

To me, it would be a lot easier to find if there was a “quick reference” section with “basic commands for the pattern editor”.

Instrument number is not listed under effect commands, it only occurs in the image to indicate which column is what.

The reason i mention all columns is because the panning and volume column can be hidden and to prevent the confusion i show all column combinations available, this includes referencing to their purpose as well.

Panning and volume values may not be effects, yet these columns have effect values that are not related to panning or volume, so this seemed the best place to mention them.

What would you classify as “basic pattern effect commands”?
The usual effect commands that come from prehistoric trackers? This would then be 00xx to 0fxx.

All is mentioned in the same page without too much extended describing each function.
The page serves as a good quick reference and all columns are devided underneath their respective headers.

I changed the page title to “Pattern Effect Commands” to make it more clear that the discussed commands are solely used in the pattern editor and that there won’t be any ideas given that commands could be emitted inside effects themselves (like DSP / VST)

I’m sorry but panning is an effect. It’s a spacial effect, albeit a very simple one.

Could almost argue that volume is an effect in the same way, although even more abstracted. (Distance from source?)

If it’s not an effect, with the respective parameter, why does it have a value? Think about it.

Pattern Effect Commands sounds much better and I think it would help many more people get the info they are looking for. :) Excellent wording change. It’s a simple wording change, but it should be just enough to help those that aren’t familiar with tracker programs. Excellent. :)

" I’m sorry but panning is an effect. It’s a spacial effect, albeit a very simple one.

Could almost argue that volume is an effect in the same way, although even more abstracted. (Distance from source?)

If it’s not an effect, with the respective parameter, why does it have a value? Think about it."

If you’re going by tracker standards, then yes, it “might” be considered an effect simply because it resides in the same column that can be used for actual effects, but anywhere outside tracker programs, panning is not an effect, it’s a mixer setting, just like volume.

There was someone on this board a while back that wanted to know how others felt about the way their song was “arranged”. I took the person’s post as meaning the dictionary-style definition of arranged, a term used in music theory: Arrangement–“Most commonly, this is a matter of providing instrumentation for the songwriter or composer’s basic melody and harmony.” and I responded accordingly. This person then accused me of not reading his post because he was using the “tracker” definition of the word “arranged”. He wanted to know if the way he had his patterns layed out was too repetitive.

This feeling about volume and panning is really no different. We need to remember that not everyone trying to use Renoise is going to view music through the perspective of using tracker programs.