Ubuntu 8.10

advisory

quoting from here:

so, if you have a dual-core processor or something like that, do not upgrade UbuntuStudio or Ubuntu with kernel realtime to Ubuntu 8.10!

I have discovered this only after doing that… and I grant you that the result is far worse than having only one core working.

Anyone found a non-uber-733t way to get an Emu1616m PCMCIA card working in Ubuntu yet?

All the info I ever got on the subject seemed to be hearsay and legend. No solid info anywhere…

I would dearly love to be able to do everything I do in XP, in Ubuntu.

Thanks Suva. I didn’t know this, since on 8.04 all I had to do was to install the RT-kernel and then Renoise just ran fine using ALSA with realtime priority. I’ll edit the limits.conf and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure I got you right. Is an upgrade meant as installing 8.10 on 8.04? Or doesn’t it matter if I’ve installed Ubuntu Studio 8.10 right from scratch? Because that’s what I did.

After having removed my Kubuntu Hardy, I can’t remove Interpid that easily again, since I’m on a notebook and it takes some time to get even the basics working right (keyboard with dead keys, touchpad with draglock, network). But I really like it and I’m optimistic that there will be a solution for the dual core processors.

it’s the same: the realtime kernel which is distributed with Ubuntu 8.10 does not support multicores: check if Renoise recognizes your two processors when using the RT kernel; on my PC is does not, and this would be true even if I installed from scratch.

quoting Ubuntustudio main page:

this one-release-every-6-months is turning Ubuntu into a mess…

Thank you It-Alien, always a great help!
Though the dev states that my current Ubuntu Studio doesn’t have any default RT-kernel, I’ll try it with the downloaded RT-Kernel another time to see how many CPU Renoise detects.

I didn’t know about the 6-months-period but for this time I think it’s a good idea to keep my system untouched once everything is working.

Actually the problem is in upstream -rt patch development. For some strange reason there is no patch released for 2.6.27 yet. :(

I don’t think you can use sound devices through ndiswrapper. I think ndiswrapper is only mapped to network subsystem.

Does this mean that my soundcard is unsupported in linux (M-Audio firewire audiophile) ?

Firewire cards are supported by other driver. Google for freebob or ffado.

My card is listed under ‘devices with a DM1000 but no BeBoB firmware’.
I wonder what that means, since there’s no mention of DM1000 elsewhere?

Also, ‘This device should work with freebob if the firmware is downloaded first. Not tested yet’.
I guess that’s good news…

I was planning to buy and Edirol UA-101 to use it with linux, but now I am not sure. Have you been able to make it work? I am a bit lost, what other similar usb interfaces are there that work well?

javi,

It’s a fantastic little machine, but sadly it doesn’t work well as a sound card in Linux. It seems impossible to adjust the buffer and other internal settings, so there are lots of pops and glitches. I still have it set up, but just as a mixer – I use a cheap PCI sound card instead. However, since I do dual boot, it’s quite handy in XP.

I doubt any other USB interface will work any better, since they all use the same USB-audio driver in ALSA (as far as I know).

Don’t make false assumptions. 99% of USB sound cards work just fine, out of the box. Some pro cards on the other hand prefer some proprietary methods over standard methods to access some parameters and as ALSA driver isn’t thought about those ones, they are inaccessible and on some cards it may render the card totally useless. Some of those cards still work, but only in standards compliant mode which leaves you without access to some of the advanced features like internal routing and effects or whatever the card provides. On most cases the stuff is accessible through your mixer software though.

I have several different USB cards, most of them work in full capabilities. M-Audio fasttrack pro on the other hand is limited to 44100/16 while it can do 96000/24. There is patch available to fix the issue though, but it’s not merged to upstream yet.

If you are interested getting your cards to work, send an emails to both ALSA team with questions how you can help and Edirol to give more details to ALSA developers or something similar. :)

You’re right, that was a false assumption of mine. I’ve had lots of different problems with Linux due mostly to my motherboard, so who knows.

In fact I did just that several weeks ago, but I never heard back!