Using MIDI to Controll VST Instruments **Warning - Serious N00b!**

Hi,

This is going to sound really stupid but I haven’t got my head around v.3 of Renoise at all yet and one thing in particular is really bugging me.

I CANNOT get my MIDI controller to play a VST instrument without also playing a sample!!

I select the input device (MIDI controller) from the MIDI tab, select the VST instrument I want in the top right dropdown (next to “oct”) and I load the same VST instrument in the plugin tab.

If I use the on-screen keyboard on the plugin tab it just plays the VST instrument; great! But if I use the MIDI controller it plays a sample from the list of instruments, sometimes with the VST instrument as well!

I know I need to understand more about the difference between how Renoise handles MIDI input for samples and VST instruments but I just can seem to unpick this in v.3.

I know I need to RTFM on this, but which part?!?

I never had this problem with previous versions of Renoise, it all seemed quite intuitive and my MIDI controller would just play which ever instrument (sample or VST instrument) was selected in the instrument selection in the top-right of the edit screen. How can I get back to a situation like this??

Please help! Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks.

Have you:

• set your keyboard in “Preferences”->“MIDI” as one of the four options for a “master keyboard”? This will enable generic control of selected instruments by that device.

Maybe you also have:

• Chosen the keyboard for some instrument to be directly controlled. This will bypass normal controlling action. You can go to any instrument, in the “MIDI” tab next to “Plugin” and “Sampler” way on top - and there under “input device” choose “show routing overview” - if any instrument is controlled by your keyboard directly (in blank state which you will want, it won’t show a listing but just some text ala “no routings present”), select it, go to midi tab, and set its input device to “none”. This option (when set to a controller) is thought for permanently controlling a dedicated instrument by a certain controller or midi in port, not for normal sequencing operation. Also I sometimes use this in conjunction with the output track settings to play/jazz an instrument with my midi controller while I’m in another (send-) track editing the effects, but you have to revert settings to return to normal operation.

• and if an instrument has as well samples as a vsti plugin active, both will react on notes. this is kind of like a primitive bundled/layered instrument. seperate plugins and native samples to their own instruments to control them independently.

YES!!! Thank you!! You’ve solved it!

This is what I wasn’t doing:

• set your keyboard in “Preferences”->“MIDI” as one of the four options for a “master keyboard”? This will enable generic control of selected instruments by that device.

This is what I was doing when I didn’t need to:

• Chosen the keyboard for some instrument to be directly controlled. This will bypass normal controlling action. You can go to any instrument, in the “MIDI” tab next to “Plugin” and “Sampler” way on top - and there under “input device” choose “show routing overview” - if any instrument is controlled by your keyboard directly (in blank state which you will want, it won’t show a listing but just some text ala “no routings present”), select it, go to midi tab, and set its input device to “none”. This option (when set to a controller) is thought for permanently controlling a dedicated instrument by a certain controller or midi in port, not for normal sequencing operation. Also I sometimes use this in conjunction with the output track settings to play/jazz an instrument with my midi controller while I’m in another (send-) track editing the effects, but you have to revert settings to return to normal operation.

“clearing” the routing options removed all this mess.

This is what it sounded like was happening, but I knew wasn’t:

• and if an instrument has as well samples as a vsti plugin active, both will react on notes. this is kind of like a primitive bundled/layered instrument. seperate plugins and native samples to their own instruments to control them independently.

Thank you so much!! I hope this thread can help someone else confused by the extended MIDI routing options in v.3. Can I mark this somehow as “Solved”?

Back to learning and playing I go :slight_smile: