Very low FPS on a 2018 MB pro.

May I have $200? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Jeeez, really?? Apple piss me off as well, but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to ditch it just like that.

I reckon charge more for the product and people will pay it, because a) it’s already worth way more than it is, b) people have invested into it as their tool of choice.

1 Like

If keeping Apple’s “whims” implies ignoring Renoise’s own evolution, I think it is fully justified to leave the support parked towards Apple. Even the developer may be in the position of wanting to maintain the development for this platform and then return Apple to change everything, dizzy again. I would say the same for any other software company if it behaved the same.

This makes the software more expensive, because resources are required for maintenance. A luxury that seems that the Renoise team cannot afford. Years go by and people wonder why Renoise doesn’t have any more updates. Check out all this. Apparently, there is no time to keep everything.

From my point of view, a version of Renoise for Windows and Linux and only 64-bit would be sufficient. And focus the few resources on maintaining that. If Apple later decides to be stable and not get so dizzy, it might even be reasonable to support this platform again (but only 64bit).

What cannot be is that a single platform (Apple) even affects the rest (Windows or Linux) by its decisions. Currently, if Apple were not, we would probably already have a new version of Renoise, and with many more features demanded by users. A better software, with less bugs.

I know it “is attractive” to sell a product that is cross-platform, “for Apple, Windows, Linux” (so it seems a bigger, more important software). But if one of them prevents you from improving the rest by wanting to launch a joint package, it is a dilemma that will have to be addressed sometime. You have to value very well in what to invest time.

1 Like

i would gladly donate 20-30$ for that purpose, if someone else is willing to do the same for the sake of renoise evolution. Or just set-up dual boot with some lightweight linux for renoise… or install win on mbpro, it looks awesome tho :stuck_out_tongue:

buy parallels (works so smooth with windows on it and it’s straightforward, nothing alike virtualbox :stuck_out_tongue: ), if you want to invest, you will lose nothing, yet developers will have some room for developing renoise… there are solutions…
parallels works awesome on my mbpro, no need to stall whole development of daw just because you have mac and don’t feel like changing. I get you you paid for it, but people who do not invest much in music/ (or don’t live off of it) don’t plan to invest in mac after all since price is (you have to admit) huge.
it’s supported on linux ffs, you can get your “own production” suite on laptop for like 300$ all together (headphones, laptop, renoise licence), and for example ableton is 700$?
I appreciate that renoise is so affordable… it’s amazing how i can relief off from using pirated stuff. I don’t live off music i couldn’t invest like 700$ for DAW…

1 Like

The money question was joking/hypothetical :smiley: Thank you for your offer, though!

I just got this Mac for my 40th birthday, and all of the software I’ve invested money in over the years runs perfectly on it. Every single piece, and I do a lot, from music to graphic design, to animation to video, and document work. That’s my issue with not having Renoise updated for OS X. It runs perfect on my Mac. If the issue is with screen resolution, is that the only issue? I truly don’t know, because I have no issues. Runs like a dream. Ran beautifully on my old 2012 Mac Mini as well. No issues at all. I don’t have a high-resolution monitor, because I don’t need it for what I do. Everything looks great on the screen I have.

Why do I (and others) have to give up on something that I (we) thoroughly enjoy? My perfect little computer (perfect for me), and then lose the most important piece of software that I paid for? I’d rather pay for another upgrade to Renoise version X.x for OS X. I don’t want to buy a new computer. I see that Parallels is an option and would consider it, but I do not want to use Windows at all.

Renoise is awesome to me, and losing it in the conditions I’m used to using it in would be a real bummer. Please keep in mind I am not arguing against your point, I’m just stating that I don’t want to change. I like what I have. I am very compatible with change, I just don’t want to.

2 Likes

So it’s all Apple’s fault. Easy to say when you’re on the side of the fence. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry but if the decision of maintaining a bespoke UI library has led the Renoise team down a developer cul-de-sac, then surely it might be a time to choose a more future proof UI general library (JUCE, Qt… I dunno)? Given the scale of implementing that task I can understand the pain, but it’s a real, real shame. RNS team probably have the stats on downloads for each platform to warrant a statement like that.

Also why do threads like Bitwig for $299 even get traction on Renoise forums? Is there a hint for mac users?

Don’t confuse me for a Apple fanboi, I only use their tools and have done for my entire career (graphics, music development), and they’ve served me well (on the whole). They can keep their smugness and air that they are better, they’re not. But the investment in a platform is far, far more than a brand, and I have not the headspace to consider switching right now.

@dspasic Parallels is £79. I would rather throw that money to Taktik and his team, but I get your point. Not quite so straightforward for my workflow, and other software.

1 Like

It is not about blaming anyone, but on seeing the viability or not. Many months ago many users are reporting serious problems with OSX. If this operating system did not give problems, nobody would be talking about this now. Even the developers themselves are wasting their time on something that previously worked and now broke. We can continue supporting this kind of companies that only think about filling their pockets, without thinking about the consumer or other companies that live on the software.

There is nothing worse than a company that does not listen to its customers.

2 Likes

I quite agree

1 Like

Here, please give those people these links:
http://dosdude1.com/mojave/
http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Also, as I wrote since years, a Hackintosh is the much better Mac. It also is way more reliable and performs better. And you save a lot of money.

Ups, I misread your post, it was vice versa. The above links though are good for running more recent macos versions on older machines.

@Neuro_No_Neuro I’m really digging your work btw. Very tight composition, it’s not an easy style to master either. Renoise proves to be well suited at creating this microscopic sound, it can be very precise. I’m reminded of a release by Kirstuit Salu (Jimmy Edgar) called My, Mines, I on Merck records back in early 2000s. Check it out if you haven’t already.

Side note - I too have had experience with neurological conditions and surgery with members of my family, and I’m constantly reminded of the stoicism and selflessness displayed by them. It must be a very personal journey. Channeling it into your work must be very therapeutic and a way of deriving some meaning from your experiences?

Thanks, @boonier! Never heard of Kirstuit Salu, but I just looked it up and holy cow it’s great! I’ve got more work to do. I want to get to that “dry” level where it’s very well-panned and samples are timed well length-wise. My recent influences for this music was a combo of Ryoji Ikeda and Hirota i - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6hohHe6NJs&t=7s

I suppose you’re right, with the channeling and all - music’s one of the ways I do that. I find it’s a good way to create a persona as an artist. Moreso, there’s a ton of interesting visuals and other experiences after the third time they popped my lid. Lots of fodder for various outlets. Thanks for asking, btw!

So, I went through a bunch of your posts, but was unable to find links to your works. Would you mind posting some, if you’ve got any online? I’d like to hear some!

Hey sorry for the delay! @Neuro_No_Neuro

You can find a find random hotchpotch of stuff I’ve released and made over the years, scattered across the net.

Here’s a recent track of mine that came out recently on this comp:

Mine’s trk 3, Bumble - Rootsix (one of my house-y, deep techno aliases) :slight_smile: I composed this in Renoise, and finalised the mix in Reaper. More to come out on this great label in the future.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rootsix/tracks has a random bunch of tracks.

Old 12" release from '08 https://bleep.com/release/3359-rootsix-dragondrop-ep

I’m sitting on a huge pile of material for my different aliases too, that I’m trying to sort though, but as ever getting my sh*t together to finish it and stop creating new stuff is the perennial issue! But it will see the light of day.

Getting back on topic, I really do hope that Mac support doesn’t get canned, as I find Renoise really integral to my work/creative flow. I hope the powers that be hear my plea!

Bumble is excellent, has a beautiful overall sound. I love the warmth. Also, I enjoy that the bassline never goes into screaming territory. As much as I love that, this one just drives on cruise control. It’s an art that I’ve never mastered, and hopefully one day I can :smiley:

Blit de tune also has that quality - very nice, easy, smooth. Love it! Same with Deepfroid Bough - just nice and easy, heavy, but not forcing anyone to spasm. Even the Dragondrop EP. Man. What are you doing hanging around here on the forum? For some of the ambient stuff, have you looked into Audiobulb, Line Imprint, etc.?

Nice work, seriously.

And hope we don’t lose the Mac support. Renoise has changed my life, especially on the OS X platform.

Thank you dude that means a lot. Yeah screaming acid lines are a bit 90s hehe

Pretty sure other artists I’ve released with are on this forum :wink:

Like many people here I started on trackers (Atari STE), but I went away for a good number of years to other more linear DAWs and outboard gear, spent a good deal of time with Live but I found the whole idea everyone using it, and it’s ‘sound’ becoming so common it put me off. Plus to make use of it properly I’d need to buy Push… It’s an expensive tie in that I felt I could do without (with all the upgrades etc…). Bit like Apple haha!

I’d been eyeing Renoise in the background, so a few years ago I started using it more in earnest. Kinda gone full circle. It’s got a vibe about it that complements the outboard kit.

thanks again.

This is a very interesting video and IMHO should be watched by any Apple user or potential user:

Summary:

• T2 chip often is faulty
  • There is no way for 3rd party to fix it anymore
  • Apple will lie to you about the reasons why your Mac failed, kind of criminal
  • Apple will charge an insane amount for a new mainboard, even if you are in warranty, like 800$++

Conclusion:
Do not buy any new Apple hardware anymore. Instead buy PC or do Hackintosh.

1 Like

There will always be people just buying the big Brand no matter what.Sad but true.

1 Like

It is very true. It seems that people get used to everything, and large companies know it and exploit it to the fullest. The different “programmed obsolecence techniques” are increasingly known to people, but it doesn’t matter. Although people know that their favorite brand is “stealing” them in their noses, it doesn’t matter. It is the fashion brand. This would be fine if there are no alternatives. But there are. But it does not matter… But it does not matter… But it does not matter… But it does not matter…

This is typical of companies that, even knowing that their product has failures, and they know it very well, these companies know that they will also have hooked the consumer, selling that problematic product. Companies are interested that the customer pay two or three times for the “same product”. That a PC that can last 20 years that only lasts 3. That a mobile phone that can last 10 years that only lasts 2 years. Do whatever it takes for a customer to pay two or three times for the “same product.” It is a very good business. That is why there are currently multimillion dollar companies, they even do sociological studies on all this. It is not necessary to innovate quickly. But do good marketing campaigns. It’s very sad, but it really works that way.

There are also many very powerful advertising campaigns, and people bite the hook, again and again, again and again. The money that is spent appearing in the movies must also be amortized. People do what the vast majority of people do. Follow the fashion. Internet is a huge showcase about this.

1 Like

Personaly I don’t care about these people cause I know a lot of them who follow the fashion and they are not stupid,they are showoffs.Apple and other companies do what they do, make money and I do not blame them but I blame the government because they do nothing to protect us from fake ads and faulty hardware/software.

Well, personally I still think macos is by far the best multimedia OS with the most modern underlying structure, but once Apple started to even ruin their base software, it looks like I have to switch back to Windows and also go with shitty vendors like Adobe. Which I find hell, but at least always stays compatible.

But you are right, today people mostly will buy Apple hardware not even because macos, but because it has that appearance of being super hipster. If you have lot of money to spend, throw your devices away every 3 years or so, and save all your data in the cloud (and have no idea about performance etc), then it actually might be a good choice for you.

2 Likes