Virtual Midi Control Surface

Hey Peeps!

I’m looking for a virtual midi control surface. (Think TouchOSC for PC). I’d like to assign GUI widgets to Midi instructions so I can control Renoise via a custom control panel.

I came across this, which looks very promising:
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_RemoteControl/

However, for the life of me, I can’t get it working :( I am completely unfamiliar about how this works - there appears as though Renoise only ‘links’ with midi ‘devices’, and I don’t see midi loopback devices as a real solution.

So the question is, how does Bluecat’s program actually work?

Is there an out-of-the-box solution that can allow you you build interfaces to control Renoise?

Regards,
Mick :)

PS. About to check out Usine which I googled in the middle of typing out this post. ;) Looks very cool.

Well, I suppose Duplex kind of does this, but you would have to do some scripting to build your own devices, and the current Duplex GUI controls probably aren’t as flexible as what you want. Sorry, that’s probably not too helpful!

Not so fast… Duplex was designed to work with layout files to customize your GUI, so one can write own control layouts for Duplex, but getting started might cost a bit of time, though the structure and stuff is explained in Duplex. (At least it was the last time i checked)

Yeah, that’s what I meant. The current included GUIs aren’t great for his purposes but he could definitely write his own.

Hey, we really don’t know so much about MickRip’s intentions, second-guessing them isn’t really optimal.
At least, here’s how the Blue Cat Remote-control describe itself:
[left]

[/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left]So, using Duplex you can’t actually edit the response curve, but at least, since any recent beta version, any slider, knob etc. in a Duplex MIDI-control-surface will generate natively mappable MIDI messages. So, if you want to, you can basically bypass the whole application aspect of Duplex and just create the virtual control surface of your dreams using a plain XML file. For a good example, see something like the “Mackie control surface” ?[/left][left] [/left]