Volume Column Values From 81 To 8f Should "AutoClip" to 80

so… maybe they should “snap back” to 80 or something?

Well, why should it? Volume is defined as 00 -> 80, where 80 clips to 7f (MIDI range) so it just would cause confusion if invalid values would do something…

You mean 80 “actually means 7F” ? Hmm, good to know… but it also makes me sad that it’s impossible to do something at exact half volume then… is that because of MIDI? 127 values never made sense except from a C64 point of view… KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!

Ahum. Anyway. I meant the displayed values. As in “make it impossible to enter 84” (and everything else that doesn’t do anything). So when you have A4 and you change the first digit to an 8, make it “snap to” 80. that’s what I meant. (Mainly to dot a section with downward volume slides with “full volume” hits easily, without it looking like shit as a result :D)

Does that apply to sample based instruments, too?

what if someone is accustomed to edit an existing value by changing the less significant digit first?

if he wants to edit an 80, then with this hack implemented, he must edit the 8 before. after all, if 81…8f do nothing, why on Earth should anyone write them?

then he can just get used to do it the other way around? that is at least possible… and isn’t really any more hassle… while it IS more “hassle” to have to change two digits instead of one… huh since when are kinda random habits by imaginary people even a factor LOL?

I already said that.

AF
AF
AF
AF
AF
AF

say you wanna dot that with 80’s:

AF
AF
AF
AF

That happens to me ALL the time… while I don’t see why anybody would write the digits right to left? I mean, do you even know one person? In your words, why on Earth would anyone do that?

Just because it’s your preference doesn’t make it a universally better option.

Automatically and silently adjusting values in other fields based on particular values the user enters in one field is generally considered bad UI design due to the potential for user confusion, and is made much worse in this case due to the additional inconsistency (it only happens if you enter an 8, but not any other number). The problem here is not that the values don’t magically change, but that entering two-digit values is a pain. It would be better to consider how this could be improved, rather than adding layers of hacks for particular situations.

EDIT: To add some suggestions on how Johann’s problem could be addressed without introducing hacks or UI inconsistency:

1. It should be easier to enter a two-digit value into a volume/effect column without using the arrow keys. Maybe if you hold down SHIFT and enter two (or more) digits, they would all be entered in the current column with the edit step applied after releasing SHIFT (like the current chord mode).

2. There could be a shortcut to enter the “last entered” numeric value in another row, for example by using the . (PERIOD) or , (COMMA) keys while in the volume or effect column.