Vst Instruments Just Don`t Stay, Getting Mad

Hello Evrybody,

I am a an absolutely newbie with trackers and with renoise (though Ive played around with a lot of sequencers and other music-tools for composition). Ive looked on evry topic in the manual, faq, evry tutorial video etc. but just cant figure out how I can make a vst-instrument STAY on one track. Maybe Im just too stupid for a tracker…

What I want: the reason for trying out renoise is just one: the wonderful track-generators, especially the renoise phrase generator, what a wonderful tool ! Though I want to generate some tracks, maybe a complete song (at the moment I am not very used to go on further in renoise as I absolutely have too because it is too confusing for me). Then save the song, export/convert it too midi (have tried this, works wonderful) and make the rest of the working in a sequencer where I know what I have too do.

What I`ve done so far: renoise works, rpg works, the notes come too the track fine, I´ve found the vst-folder, choosed the instrument in the “instrument settings”, choosed it in the instrument-box in the right upper corner, it even plays for the first time but then…

Can make what I want it just dont stay ON the track. When I try too choose the next track, choose a new instrument in the settings/box evrything goes evrywhere, nothing stays on the track. Ive tried evry device in the midi properties, tried to assign it to a track in the vst instrument settings, even tried it with the renoise instrument, with general nothing works…

Now I am just exporting evry single track part, but it don`t make no sense because I have to HEAR them together before exporting.

Hope somebody understand my problem (and my english), I am really perplexed

Thank in advance for any advice

Richard

Hello Richard !

I think I can help you with your problem…

IF I have understood your problem right, you can only choose one VST-synth per sampleslot (The “box” up on your right side). When you want to choose another Sample or vst synth just go to the next sample slot…

Hope I helped you :)

pS here is a beginner tutourial that I think can help you

Hello Evrybody,

I am a an absolutely newbie with trackers and with renoise (though Ive played around with a lot of sequencers and other music-tools for composition). Ive looked on evry topic in the manual, faq, evry tutorial video etc. but just cant figure out how I can make a vst-instrument STAY on one track. Maybe Im just too stupid for a tracker…

What I want: the reason for trying out renoise is just one: the wonderful track-generators, especially the renoise phrase generator, what a wonderful tool ! Though I want to generate some tracks, maybe a complete song (at the moment I am not very used to go on further in renoise as I absolutely have too because it is too confusing for me). Then save the song, export/convert it too midi (have tried this, works wonderful) and make the rest of the working in a sequencer where I know what I have too do.

What I`ve done so far: renoise works, rpg works, the notes come too the track fine, I´ve found the vst-folder, choosed the instrument in the “instrument settings”, choosed it in the instrument-box in the right upper corner, it even plays for the first time but then…

Can make what I want it just dont stay ON the track. When I try too choose the next track, choose a new instrument in the settings/box evrything goes evrywhere, nothing stays on the track. Ive tried evry device in the midi properties, tried to assign it to a track in the vst instrument settings, even tried it with the renoise instrument, with general nothing works…

Now I am just exporting evry single track part, but it don`t make no sense because I have to HEAR them together before exporting.

Hope somebody understand my problem (and my english), I am really perplexed

Thank in advance for any advice

Richard
[/quote]

Hello RollingThunder DJ,

thank you for your reply, but thats not the problem. I am sorry that I am so bad in explaining, I will try again. The problem is I choose a new vst, a new sample slot, that works, but then the problem start, I will try too give you an example:

I choose track one, load a bass-vst in sample slot one, let rpg compose, evrything fine the notes are in track one, they sound with the bass-vst, evrything fine.

Then I go on with track two, piano-vst in sample slot two, rpg composes, the notes are in track two and then I try two play the song (the two track with bass and piano) and then then the confusion starts. The notes are there but played ALL by either bass or piano (for me not to understan what makes which vst play which notes) or whatever. More tracks, nothing goes anymore, I can compose as many tracks as I want but they are all played by just one instruments (I dont even now why the program chooses which instrument, nothing to do with sample track or chosen track or vst-instruments-settings, I just dont know why…)

Richard

edit: too late

but…

You have to change setting in rpg. I dont remember right now, look for something like “instrument number”

and relax

Hi Parasonic,

no, as I mentioned above, thats not the problem. Or can renoise only play the instrument in the one sample slot that is actually chosen ? Cant imagine that because evry sequencer I know can play different vst-instruments on different tracks at the same time. I think I just missed the right place to “nail” or “glue” ONE vst-instrument to ONE Track (vst-bass to track 1, vst piano to track 2 etc. and then play and HEAR them all at the same time). Or maybe there is another view to do this (in the mixer there is no such possibility I tried that out)?

Thanks for your patience,

Richard

Hi Pansonic,

Ive tried this out too but how do the instrument-number in rpg corresponds to the vst-instrument in Renoise ? I´ve just tried out different instrument-numbers in rpg but then in the result I did not hear nothing at all (though the notes are in the track). Maybe I should post some screens, dont know if this is possible.

Richard

Check this image, where it says Instrument is that number the same between your tracks?

If so you can change it with the Advanced Edit section.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Advanced_Edit#Modifying_Instruments

And do you mean Sample Slot or Instrument Slot. A lot easier to work with different Instruments.

(That top right area, the upper part are Instruments, the lower part are “Sample slots.”)

can you post a screenshot ?

it has to look like this

track 1 track 2

c-4 00 c-4 01 <----- that`s the instrument number!

so if you have c-4 00 on both, they play the same sample/vsti

edit: kazakore was faster :D

Ok

We must be sure that we are talking about the same thing. Now, http://www.renoise.com/download/tools/ - there is a screenshot of RPG, there is a area called “Instruments” with the green bar over the number 00. 00 controls 00 slot inside renoise, if you choose 01 bar, it lights green - now it controls 01 slot in renoise. You are aware of that - right?

Hi kazakore,

maybe its getting nearer, all the instrument numbers behind the first (note) number are 00 in all the tracks, I will try to figure out if this might solve the problem. I have too leave for the moment an be back in the evening (evening in germany) in about two hours, thank you all so far, this is a great forum, maybe I`ll try a little bit more with renoise if I can figure out this problem with your help :-)))

Thanks to you all

Richard

Hi Parasonic,

problem must be their in rpg, no I was not aware of this, do I have too change the instrument number (from 00 for example too 01) or light one of the slots 1 to 4 green ?

Thanks, sorry my child is just waiting, be back as soon as possible, thanks again you all, just be happy that I can go on composing later on,

Richard

Gotta learn how to reply properly looks kinda weird when i leave reply´s sorry !

The XML structure of the song data does also change at times between versions so it may be useful to have word from one of the Devs (Taktik?) that the Rocket Propelled Grenade (sorry, I mean the Renoise Phrase Generator) still works with version 2.5

It sounds like that plugin only allows one output to be used, no matter if instantiating another one. If that is true, you cannot dedicate each instance to a track.
Some plugins also have this as a limitation when they are used in Trial mode: You either cannot instantiate another plugin or each instance shares the same audio-bus of the others.

Another thing is:If you pick an alias of the same plugin and it is a synth plugin: 99% they share the only audio out there is, you can’t split an alias from the original plugin unless it supports different audio outputs (which you have to set internally) and there aren’t that much synth plugins that support multi-output channeling.

Try this and we will see.

It works !!! I`m really happy, thanks to you all. The problem really lies in the instrument-alignment in rpg. I have chosen the four green slides 00, 01,02,03, turned each for the dedicated track to 100 and the rest down and now I have four tracks with the instrument/slot numbers for example 400, 401, 402 and 403 and the instruments from the selected sample-slots are playing :-)))))). For the moment thats all I need, I think I will try out if it is possible to get more track if I change the Instrument number above the sliders, but if it not works no problem, 4 tracks are fine at the moment, thanks again for all your help, this is really a nice and kind forum,

Kind regards to you all,

Richard

Glad you’ve got it working.

The 4 in those examples above are nothing to do with the instrument but are the octave of the note being played.

Just like Renoise - small, responsive, stable and unique :ph34r: