We Need Colors!

+1 from me on this one. It’s clear, doesn’t take up any extra space, etc. I dig it.

we could also have the colour run down the actual track in the pattern in a very light shade if needed.

some cool ideas, i was thinking this way it only will look good (yeps matter of taste) on dark or light theme’s with few colors ? theme’s such as ‘modulr subtructive’ and ‘default broken 2’…

else you risk it still gets ugly as in to many colors that do not go well with the theme that a user uhm uses.

how would the color picking work ? random ? pick one ? or even use a background color from the current used theme and generate various shades of slightly lighter colors than the background color. then the user can choose from those and will still have a good looking theme that doesn’t distract to much…

I like these colour ideas. I initially thought that putting the colours in the tracks was a good idea. But I’m changing my mind.

Vadarfone’s idea of having block colour could actually be a better option. Perhaps the block only needs to be half as high.

1. Double clicking the blocks would minimise/maximise the group.
  2. Clicking the right mouse button will give group-related options.
  3. Shift selecting groups allows you the assign/unassign.

Perhaps we could apply DSP chains to groups, but, not really an urgent thing.

I guess as an alternative you make a select across tracks and “Assign” group as part of the selection options. But I like the idea of being able to quickly minimise and maximise tracks.

+1 for coloured track scope lines

Its all good man. I guess it is hard to guage peoples feelings through text. I was just a bit miffed that I had spent the time knocking up a picture. I dont expect anyone to do anything I say of course (I am not a thought-nazi!) but I guess it started to feel less like an idea pool, and more a superiority struggle. All good though!

So, thanks for all the feed back. I think it is a good idea for colour coding still, and I think that a combination between my idea and your idea would be great.

Lets keep the colours off of the ACTUAL tracks, and limit them to the top. Obviously our mock ups are very crude and in reality would need to be rifined a hell of a lot more.

I am not sure if I made it clear on my example, but I have also included extra thick lines between the patterns, to make it easy when scanning across a pattern. This would make it feel like each highlighted section was its own little group…

I am not sure how this would be implemented in reality; maybe an option in the right click menu on a pattern to add a thick line left or right of the pattern in question.

As for the colouring technique, yeah it could get messy without some sort of control… This is why maybe text input in the spaces above the tracks in my diagram should be available.

Ideas?