What and why do you use for mastering in Renoise

Renoise_YbH1zmjwWT

2 Likes

Haha, all frequency bands maxed out all the time ! Sounds ā€œgoodā€ on every speakers or headphones !

1 Like

Make the song in Renoise, export to wav, master in Reaper with Ozone and stuff.

2 Likes

You Wa Shock !

Make it truck shine !

You Wa Shock ! is VST/Winamp effect for brighten up and maximize any truck you hand him.

Use: Though nothing can bring back the missing particle You Wa Shock ! strength is in the behind parts. Excrete excite sound for your trucks. Push harder for more excite sound. The knob will go up. You can operate You Wa Shock ! as early as possible in the truck or to be late. The 4 A B C D fixings create new crunch excrete. Listen for a happy sound.
He makes your truck illuminate with the impact of Wa ! Maximizer of multiple band. The impact of Wa ! Power can be given with the Maximus engine.

I instantly wanted to pay money for this plugin upon reading this :joy: (unironically)

1 Like

Sure, almost everything can be replicated in a DAW. But that says it already. Itā€™s replicated. And a lot of mastering is happening ITB these days. Somehow I get more happy when I had mastered a track on analogue outboard gear. Beaten in the case of matter of taste. And I think that there is a technical and/or sound advantage too.

Mastering by an dedicated engineer is not that expensive. And worth a lot indeed if you want to do more with your music.

With a bad mix you get a bad master. Mixing is key!

1 Like

you seem happy when taking analogue path, and thatā€™s totally fine, i have nothing against it, itā€™s rather cool, but still there is not single technical point in your replies, even tho you state that there is a differenceā€¦ for again - several times

technical advantage? room space? rack? cables? outbord gear? i do not think so
sound advantage? please point some proof

well, youā€™ve avoided on purpose any fact so far for several replies, so iā€™m off from this discussion.
Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, maybe I had to point it better. Iā€™m trying to avoid this discussion for analogue/digital always too. But sure. Digital is replication in many cases. Analogue is original. And despite Iā€™m loving both domains. Iā€™m convinced that analogue electronic do another job in many cases.

2 Likes

just believing without fact is an opinion, not a factā€¦ I also avoid these discussion, thatā€™s why i do not want to proceed debating without factsā€¦ itā€™s pointlessā€¦ You think A i think B and thatā€™s it :slight_smile:

i have nothing against outboard gear, i love it. But claiming something just because you ā€˜believe in itā€™ is for me plain wrongā€¦

1 Like

I totally agree with that.

2 Likes

Great to hear from the different approaches. Thanks all! Very interesting to see whats going on in this subject.

2 Likes

I compose with Airwindows Recurve and Safety Clipper on the master, then either of the following dependent on goal;

1. slap some Airwindows maximiser on it then render master.

2. render the master out without loudness ā†’ import into Reaper ā†’ use Toneboosters or TDR or some JS FX chain or Izotope Ozone or something.

3. render the master out without buss comp / loudness ā†’ import into Reason 11 ā†’ set up some boss rack chain with the master buss comp being triggered with a HPF and some maximiser thereafter or something etc etc.

4. render the master out without buss comp / loudness ā†’ send to Aria or a local mastering engineer for analogue mastering.

Iā€™m not a professional musician so havenā€™t needed to do 4 for a long time.

1 Like

The same for me. I used to use a lot of plugins on the mastering chain thinking it was improving the sound but it was actually just fixing my bad mixes at the mastering stage (more or less :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). I tried exciters, stereo-enhancers and other ā€œsoundgoodizersā€ but id did more harm than good.

Now with tracks properly mixed I tend to use just brickwalls filters (to remove unnecessary frequencies) and a limiter (Fabfilter L2). I try to have enough width and clarity in the mix already. I also tend to master less loud than before now that musics loudness is more and more normalized.

1 Like

I would suggest using a VU meter on your kick and adjust the volume to 0 VU. Afterwards adjust all the other instruments to your kick. This way your mix wonā€™t get too loud and everything is ā€œnormalizedā€. When you start your master thereā€™s not much left to do, itā€™s already good. Mastering to me means avoiding clipping and if necessary adjusting the signal before the threshold. And maybe adjusting all the frequencies just a little bit. :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure one can do everything on renoise when it comes to the mastering stage but to me its just aā€¦ pain. Takes me way longer than doing anything on Reaper.

1 Like

There are some cool templates about ā€¦im using a mid/side one for the time being.
Sort of remember some real good ones were posted here on the forum in the past few months.

Guess once a framework is set up as a startup song or a kind of a template song
that could be loaded at the start of a new track; then the burden becomes easier to bear.

But Iā€™m interested in picking up Reaper anyhow, been hearing nothing but good about it.

2 Likes

Fair, I havenā€™t tried using templates on Renoise yet, guess it would boost my workflow. And yes, Reaper is a beast, I normally say to people itā€™s a whole operational system. You can do things as fast as a bullet and can pretty much do anything every major DAW does, at least from my experience.

2 Likes