What Is Renoise's Internal Sample Resolution?

Hey guys,

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Renoise loads 32-bit samples just fine. I was wondering whether it converts them to 16bit upon save or not… Cos when I save the .rns file, its size is much smaller than the size of my 32-bit samples.

On this note, is there a way to tell Renoise not to put the samples inside the .rns file, but rather to remember their location and load them dynamically from the disk? Thus way, there is no need to duplicate the sample, and sample reusing could be very easy…

Thanks!

dobomode

From what I’ve seen, it converts them to 16 bit, but I could be wrong. I don’t think there’s a way to ‘link’ to samples that are outside the .rns file. Maybe this is on the to-do list for future rni innovation.

Why would Renoise convert them to 16 bit? That doesn’t make any sense.

If you save your 32bit sample back out of Renoise, you’ll see that it is still 32bit, and still the same filesize as your original sample. It’s the same data.

Renoise song files are simply compressed a bit, similar to ZIP I suppose.

I actually don’t like the “linking” samples from hard disk…
I want it the way it is now… If i save/copy the song somwhere then all the samples and data is aslo there in that song… That way it’s easy to make backups etc… And aslo that way you dont mess up samples in your libraries/folders with renoise sample editor…

Hard disk space is so cheap nowadays… you know :)

Can somebody please verify if Renoise converts to 16bit or not. Initially I thought so, but now I am not sure anymore…

only Taktik knows the answer ;)

I’ve already mentioned that you can easily test this yourself.

• Go into the DiskOp and load a 32bit sample into Renoise. (“mysample.wav” for example).

• Keep the DiskOp open, and in the filename slot change “mysample” to “mysample_test” or something like that.

• Press the save/disk icon to save the new “mysample_test.wav” to your hard drive.

• Compare your original “mysample.wav” and this new “mysample_test.wav” in your favourite sound editor, and you will see that the sample data is identical.

Some very minor details such as metadata stored in the original .wav seems to get removed by Renoise when saving the new sample, but that’s about the only difference that I can see.

If you are noticing differences in the way 32bit samples sound when you play them in Renoise, then the only thing I can think of is that it’s to do with your soundcard’s settings. If your card is only configured to play in 16bit or 24bit mode, then that’s probably what Renoise is using also. The 32bit sample is still a 32bit sample, but it might be getting played back at 16bit or 24bit, which might be causing some strange interpolationg or aliasing effects?

dblue, you missed a step if you want to be completely sure…

1. load 32-sample
  2. save song
  3. load song
  4. save mysample_test
  5. compare them

This way you also make sure that the sample is not converted to 16-bit when saving the song. However I don’t have time to try this out now…

Yeah I forgot to mention that here, but I have tried saving the song and restarting Renoise also (did this the other day when I made my other post), and it had no effect on the results.

Edit:

Just tried it again. Loaded Renoise. Loaded a 32bit sample. Saved the song. Closed Renoise. Loaded Renoise again. Loaded up the song. Saved the sample back out to a new .wav file. Compared the results in Soundforge. Looks and sounds identical.

I mean… obviously I still don’t know exactly what’s going on internally with Renoise or how the software is working, as Tom already said - only Taktik knows that one. But at least from testing and examining a sample going into Renoise, then coming back out again, the sample seems identical. It goes in 32bit, it comes out 32bit, it looks and sounds the same, it was not altered in any noticeable way, and the filesize is identical. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that nothing is happening to change the sample data.

SAMPLER: Integrated sampler and sample editor with full sample editing capabilities and high quality playback (32-bit floating point, interpolated).

HI-FI WAV RENDERER: 32-bit, 96 kHz, 2 quality modes (near perfect and perfect), with ability to render each track into separate file. Perfect for mastering.

(this 2 named 32bit features would be nearly senseless if Renoise would work with 16bit only)