What Key Is This? [Music Theroy]

c,d,d#,f,f#,g,a

many thanks in advance…

CoMPACT

Just of the top of my head, looks like C minor to me!!

BTW: In case you didn’t know, the word is spelled T-H-E-O-R-Y… I don’t know if english is your first language, or if it was a mistake or what…I just thought I should tell you! :)

Edit: On second thought…looking at the notes again…it looks like a C minor blues scale with an added major second(D) and major sixth(a) as opposed to minor 7th(a#) C minor blues c,d#,f,f#,g,a#…hence why i say added major second…where did you find this scale?

c - natural minor would be this:

C, D, D#, F, G, G#, A#

and yes music thory was a mistake :rolleyes:

i´m from germany…w(h)ich is another good excuse :blink:

cheerz

CoMPACT

Ha ha!! You responded too quickly for me…take a look at my reply again…you are very right, the scale you posted is not c natural minor…i had tried to edit my post before you responded!!! :D

Edit: I will just cut and paste my edit here!!

Edit: On second thought…looking at the notes again…it looks like a C minor blues scale with an added major second(D) and major sixth(a) as opposed to minor 7th(a#) C minor blues c,d#,f,f#,g,a#…hence why i say added major second…where did you find this scale?

itZ no thang…i donT kno too much about music theory. i made a beat last night, which really catched me emotionally - the notes just came along and i tried to pick some others which fit, so i can hear if it fitZ musically but i donT kno the right term for the scale…that´s why i´ve asked around…

it seems to be something c-minor maybe a kind of blues scale with one variation, like you´ve said…the f, f#, g seems to be a typical blues thang…i really ainT got no clue-lol

thanks for your quick and in depth replies!

cheerZ

C

i struggle on music therorry sience first grade

Please! Its my pleasure, I don’t pay attention to music theory as much as I used to, so I enjoyed the brain riddle!

Don’t even worry about not knowing music theory(i m not saying u do), its even better that you are using your emotions to guide you instead of your brain! Look, you have come up with your “own” scale!

Your scale is very interesting as it mostly minor sounding, however, the last part ends as C MAJOR blues(a-c{octave})!
Maybe post your song when you finish, would love to hear it! :)

http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fcompact71%2Fmusic-in-an-unkown-key-work-in-progress[/embed]

C D Eb F G Ab Bb

You can’t use flats in Renoise… but in the context of a key, a raised 5th is not the same thing as a flattened 6th.

In response to the original question, there’s no “key” with that collection of pitches, but I agree with the guy that said it was C minor with a passing tone thrown in.

I really like the sounds and emotional content of the piece! I can see why you were so moved by it!

My opinions are that the piece could be improved with the addition of a second theme, a “chorus” if you will.

I also think you could make the drums sound a little more fluid, as the theme is really emotional, a looser drum line would serve to contain the emotion rather than just underpin it.

These are just my opinions though, you have got something nice on your hands though…maybe flesh it out a bit!! :walkman:

[center]dood! that shit was chillin’ … KEEP IT UP BRO!

…::niNja pWn3d::…
[/center]

I would add that unless you follow the rules of classic harmony the notes from the scale are not the thing that define the key of your composition. These days people invent new scales all the time and use them in any context. What matters is the root note, which you select yourself. The notes you mentioned start with a C. If you make it clear in your composition that C is the root that it will also be the key of C.

If you’re really asking what scale is the one you mentioned, I’d say it’s some variation of a c blues scale.

yes, thats what i figured a variation of a blues scale…actually:

C D Eb(D#) F Gb(F#) G A(Bbb) C = Cdim7 with the exception of that G.

cheerz & thanks for the input!

CoMPACT

p.s. the track is still in progress…will upload a new version soon.