What made Renoise 'click' for you?

How’s the

Around 2003 I was looking for a tracker that ran on OSX (Macintosh) to replace Fast Tracker II (that ran under DOS)

In 2005 Renoise was released for Mac.

Somewhere in between I was a compo participant, a forum complainer asking for my mac version, and a beta tester.

Now, I use Linux and Windows 10.

How’s the environment on linux? what are the differences? Would I be able to use my Virus TI snow as a vsti on linux, or will I have to use it as hardware and record the output off the cable? Just thinking of switching to linux, because I can’t stand Windows at all. I need a clean machine running Renoise only.

How’s the environment on linux? what are the differences? Would I be able to use my Virus TI snow as a vsti on linux, or will I have to use it as hardware and record the output off the cable? Just thinking of switching to linux, because I can’t stand Windows at all. I need a clean machine running Renoise only.

Your mac plugins won’t work on Linux. You will have to use Linux compatible plugins instead.

It’s like a 2005 Mac but with better dev tools. :slight_smile:

The most important ‘click’ for me was the Pattern Sequencer. One vertical slim panel and that was it. This is the main ‘arranger’. So SEXY, compared to the horrible horizontal arrangers and ‘lanes’ in every other DAW from Reason to Cubase. I was looking for a way to sequence music just like in the MPC’s but in software and without being tied to MPC hardware neccesarily (I have MPC Element and MPC Studio with MPC Software as well). Also something that has a scratchpad for ideas sort of. Once I realized I could chain the patterns but not stop at that, but break mid way, change lengths ,change tempos, automate stuff, and use the pattern matrix - I just knew it that I found my lifelong love.

Second ‘click’ was with the Pattern Editor note entry. So damn suave and so fast and without the mouse. I fell in love instantly.

Third ‘click’ was the solid integration of VSTi for both FX and instruments which sealed the deal and I arranged for a marriage ceremony, complete with a priest and we took our vows as well. I am in honeymoon period since and I have many kids (projects) that are being made with Renoise.

To me she is a German beauty and I will be faithful to her for life.

To me she is a German beauty and I will be faithful to her for life.

Is Renoise made in Germany?

Is Renoise made in Germany?

Man do you have a sense of humour or what, you gonna question everything:0 !!!

AFAIK, its HQ is Berlin right? Beantiful city. Also the devs are all Berlin, I can imagine I can call it a German software?

Ich bin ein Renoiser :badteeth:

1 Like

i pretty much like the whole ui. especially the top down tracking nad the the whole “nerdy” hexnumber stuff. seems to me more close to a traditional composing approach than

all these wave-preview left to right scroller daws with its midi-rolls.

though renoise has its little pesky handicaps and meanwhile i have ableton and still bitwig1.X, i ALWAYS start renoise when sketching out stuff. my renoise fodler has easily the double to triple amount of

unfinished sktches or finished tracks than both other daws combined. i have bought redux too and still dont regret it^^.

i really hope for a bright future with renoise development, but if thats not happening? so what? its already a damn good workinghorse.

…ability to precisely sett the volume-velocity from-to values in batch.

I used MIDI Studio and XTracker (FT2 clone) in 1997 (what I could get my hands on), the went with Modplug Tracker in 1998, and still use it nowadays.
When I looked for new software in 2003 and after, I found Renoise, and saw a quite interesting demo of Renoise. However, at that time, I felt it lacked something.

2004 was the year I tried Fruity Loops. Loved the sound mixing quality compared to Modplug Tracker, but the app was hard to use.

2005, started using VSTs and VSTi in Modplug Tracker just before Olivier Lapicque stepped out and gave it to the community.
Used it extensively until I switched from Windows to Linux in 2008.
The app was still perfectly usable in Linux, but… Wine makes you not want to work with Windows apps. I don’t know how it does that.

During some period I did experiments with MadTracker, Buzz and Psycle (hated them) and BeRoTracker (a Modplug Tracker clone).
Nothing better than OpenMPT, which was improving during that time.
Fast forward to 2015 and Renoise 3.1 beta.
Tried the demo, expecting good progress from the last time I tried it. And boy what I found was excellent: good GUI, excellent sound,

built-in filters, automation, VST support (note that as 90% of the VSTs are made for Win and Mac, I have to use a VST bridge in Linux, which is a PITA),

and the “1 pattern per channel” paradigm where you can assemble and reuse existing channels in other patterns.
It really is not that far from a DAW, and no other soundtracker software can compare to it. By far. That’s what made me purchase the damn thing.

I learned to produce on Cubase but back in 2007 I couldn’t afford it. I wound up with Mackie Tracktion, than I got Ableton 5 on sale. I still thought very much I needed Cubase… I was trying everything out back then, “max, numerology, psycle, buzz.” I downloaded the Renoise demo sometime in 2008/2009 - could not figure it out. However, I soon joined these forums, and purchased my license…

Its funny… I can definitely afford Cubase nowadays - things in my life have changed quite a bit, and for the better.

but I feel like, Renoise is what I know now. I started with this program I was basically brand new to production, 1 year, 1.5 years into production. I do not know any other program as well as I know this thing. Even after a long break, and the last version I used was really 2.9 - even though I kept my license current and am currently registered to 4.1

I needed to buy a new computer recently. I had downloaded this a couple of times in the last few months but my office machine is not suitable for music production. However, I’ve been playing around with Renoise on the new machine I got and like I still know this thing. I can totally see all the new features, and know exactly where I’m at. How everything works. It feels so natural to me. I hope the program is available for a long time.

i can not really use a computer without a file manager like total commander
only recently it dawned on me that it with renoise and audio behave very similar

sJrgGig.png

every instrument is a sampler, simple as that!

Renoise has entered my body and eaten my soul, and i think it’s too late for exorsism.

BIK BOK BOK BOK BIK BOK BOK BOK

I’m a long time tracker user and the way Renoise presents its tracker in terms of workflow are just well suited to a numerically thinking person as myself.

The Sampler is what won me over with Renoise. It’s the best Sampler I’ve ever used – easiest to use, most fun to use, and incredible functionality with the modulation sets and FX chains. Using it feels creative and fun, after years of using software samplers that felt frustrating and confusing, etc.

The entire Renoise UI is a work of great beauty and incredible, streamlined functionality. I adore it. It looks fantastic, and once you’ve learned the program, everything feels like it’s exactly where it should be. It’s amazing how many DAWs never feel that way, no matter how well you know them.

It has my favorite Browser of any DAW, for real. It just works. No weird bloat, you get direct interfacing with your OS hard disk, no weird “scanning” of your files, and it’s easy to navigate, feels natural…again, this is a major failing of so many other DAWs.

It freaking rules.

I agree with the guy above and for me it’s largely because it’s so different from the rest of them and it doesn’t have a piano roll - I hate piano rolls, I hate everything about them - nothing kills creativity more for me than fiddly shitty piano rolls. Piano rolls suck. I own a few DAWs but for the most part they don’t get used. Not sure why I wasted money on crap like Tracktion or Studio one (luckily I got this cheap, fucking crash fest) I can write 5 songs in Renoise in the time it takes me to write one in any other software.

It was the first DAW I found that let me plonk LFO’s on everything and anything without being a programming language.

L F O

i used FL studio_s_ for a year or so, but it just wasn’t my thing. I hated the way the automation clips were too short, the values were unspoken of, the layout was so hidden and you had to memorize hotkeys for the mixer, playlist, sequencer, and more. plus, I couldn’t figure out any other way to get sound out of Edison without having to_export the sound_, and no way would I duplicate a file just for fadey bits.

Everything was slidey and gelatinous, and my overall musical sound kept on looping back to itself. it kept doing things I didn’t want it to; playing sounds for too long, lying about mixes, hiding automations, countless settings in presets that would take half an hour to get out with no defaults, etc.

but most detrimentally, the “swing bar” was just too tempting.

so I looked at one of my fav artists, venetian snares (i’m sure he gets brought up a lot), and downloaded a demo for 1.5.2.

now I’m scared of 3.1 and have a bit of a crisis.

good software stuff, feels so real!