Whats next for Renoise?

Well, let’s put itanother way then. The most likley typical scenariotoday:

But of course all my reasoning here presupposes that the Renoise team and the developers are actually interested in getting positive reviews andfeedback, increased sales, more users, etc. If they are not, then of course there is no point in making it easier for people to like the software.

giphy.gif

Well, let’s put itanother way then. The most likley typical scenariotoday:

1. Electronic music producer without tracker background reads about Renoise somewhere (magazine, blog, forums…)

2. Thinks let’s try something fresh and different. Decides to download and install the Renoise demo.

3. Fiddles around, gets intimidated , watches a few tutorial videos.

4. Concludes the tracker way of composing is too slow compared to the piano rolls and linear arrangershe’s used to.

5. Never reaches beyond the let’s try out sessions, never adopts Renoise and never develops tracker skills.

6. Communicates with others in negative terms about his Renoise experience (in magazines, blogs, forums…)

OK. So, my proposed scenario for tomorrow:

1. Electronic music producer without tracker background reads about Renoise somewhere (magazine, blog, forums…)

2. Thinks let’s try something fresh and different. Decides to download and install the Renoise demo.

3. Fiddles around, drag and drop audio loops into the familiar linear arranger, presses some preset buttons with tracker effects on the audio.

1. Ignores tracker functionality entirely, complains on forums that it’s not more like Ableton / Bitwig / Logic / whatever

:slight_smile:

I would love to have possibility use matrix editor like clip editor. Just turn the “row synchronization” off :slight_smile:
This is the main thing a miss from Ableton / Bitwig. Phrases arent enough for fast and random pattern switching.

I love the amount of activity on this forum when we’re discussing updates and the future for Renoise :slight_smile:

Beer button.

Audiotracks, a simple native synth module with all the basic waveforms, use the matrix like clip launcher (with possibliltiy for polyrythm, 3/4 over 4/4 etc.), change behaviour of vibrato and tremelo commands…

For the far future…android version, with gui resdesigned for touchscreen usage on the go (heresy).

1. Ignores tracker functionality entirely, complains on forums that it’s not more like Ableton / Bitwig / Logic / whatever

:slight_smile:

1. Pays for regular updates, is not a “Why you change this” merchant, and while he is on the forum complaining about lack of modern features, he is not starting a ton of threads second guessing the developers or trying to be Renoises Marketer by working out how to make tracking more popular.

I love the amount of activity on this forum when we’re discussing updates and the future for Renoise :slight_smile:

As in, very little ?

If the activity here is a gauge of interest in Renoise, it is time to pack your bags now, even Tracktion generates more activity/interest than Renoise, and that thing is just a rotating cash door.

Ive got tracktion and its absence of any good forum is annoying. Ive never got any good answer for anything more complicated. So i dont agree here. Renoise is big topic on glitchhop, chiptune, breakbeats and ableton forums. I can not say this about tracktion. It is good daw but there are not enough pro users imho, they usually go somewhere else

The other day I imagined what it would Renoise in the future. You already know, with all these advanced things:

• A revamped GUI that would fit the screen resolution, with various font sizes and icons.This should take priority over all other things, since everything depends on the GUI.
  • A section of advanced automation layered with audio tracks with sound waves of each track and a lot of controls to make it easier automation, and can superimpose layers. Basically, is to merge the audio tracks with the automation using layers, which can be disabled (seize the surface to the maximum).
  • A advanced pattern editor with a vertical pinanoroll optional for each track (each track supporting 120 columns note), you can undock in a floating window and turn 90° (vertical or horizontal).
  • Most advanced and easy instrument builder (keyzones) to deal with multiple samples…
  • Improve the matrix editor to differentiate groups of the tracks, and can collapse, greater vertical zoom, etc.
  • Better use of colors, which have utility.Classification of instruments by groups relationship colors of tracks and instruments, etc.
  • All detachable.
  • Things like that, the list could be endless. Definitely, Renoise that can be adjusted more to suit the consumer…

But all of this sounds too big. It seems that it is necessary that the Team Renoise grow considerably to advance this software, with more developers, or merging with another team.Most of these things have related with the GUI. A small team to strengthen the graphics would be great.

Apparently, after a year or more, we only see an update with bug fixes.This is great!However, nowadays everybody wants everything fast and soon. Other solutions meet this pace, fast and soon.

In general, it is possible that developments in recent years with programs to compose music (DAWs) has made us a dirty trick (for ignore the true potential of a tracker). Renoise possibly is not even half the way.The tracker with a great team and money back could become the best DAW of the history.Their full potential is enormous.Whoever does not see this, is that has not used a tracker thorough in your life.

On the other hand, for this breakthrough software, a larger marketing machine, which implies a dedicated department would be necessary.Most DAWs that you see, have more development (more team) and advertising varied (more team) and are therefore more expensive.And some thing else,with a superb marketing, even the worst shit can be sell massively.

Renoise 4.0, with all these things, by symbolic price of 99’99€. Doyou imagine it? ^^ ^^ :slight_smile:

I greatly enjoy Renoise 3.1.0, is a great evolution versus version 3.0.1.But at the same time, I droolevery time I think of a much more advanced Renoise (with all those things in the above list or similar).Dreaming is free!

Sure each of you has his way of thinking…

Akiz, Tracktiononly is known by Bungle and four cats more,with almost twice fame inGoogle. Nothing else. Do not worry! :unsure:

simultaneous audio/video editing

oversampled envelope

audiorate modulation (AM FM FILTERFM)

soft clipper

nonlinear waveshaper

audio/video editing

wavetable audio

pff this topic is NOT about what you wish… the topic is a quesion to the devteam.

pianoroll would be the worst nightmare :wacko:noo!! :panic:

1 Like

How would that be a nightmare?

pianoroll would be the worst nightmare :wacko:noo!! :panic:

Yeah… I just woke up in the middle of the night… sweat running down everywhere… starting to cry like a baby and shaking…

Man, whata horrible nightmare! :panic:

Now I’ve had many nightmares in the past, but NOTHING even compares to this particular horror nightmare.

I don’t even dare to utter the words… p… pia… piano…a roll of pianos.

They are coming to get you.

Anytime. Anywhere. Even inside Renoise!

(EDIT: But seriously, just place out an enable/disablecheckbox option in the preferences for a “limited tracker mode for conservatives” withoutany pianorollsand everythingshould be just fine, no?)

• All detachable.

I think I made this same post before, but why? I don’t want to design a GUI, I want GUI designers to do it for me. I want everything locked down and snapped into place. Renoise should be more like hardware rather than a cascade windows nightmare like Sonar or Cubase.

I think I made this same post before, but why?

dual monitor-setups.

I think I made this same post before, but why? I don’t want to design a GUI, I want GUI designers to do it for me. I want everything locked down and snapped into place. Renoise should be more like hardware rather than a cascade windows nightmare like Sonar or Cubase.

It refers to “Customizable GUI” for user or “Customizable Graphic User Interface”. You can use 2 or 3 monitors.But all detachable means not having umpteen cascading windows. I do not like cascading windows.The issue is not to use multiple windows, with 2 or 3 is sufficient, as it is now. R3 support until 3 detachable windows.The issue is to place the work areas to suit the composer. Areas which couple between them.

An example:

1. Window 1: Pattern Editor above + Piano Virtual below
  2. Window 2: Matrix Editor (all window)

…or

1. Window 1: Pattern Editor above + Piano Virtual below
  2. Window 2: Mixer + Automation

…orany distribution, can merge workspaces, maximize them, etc.

To clarify, I use two monitors 24" always (1920x1080 +1920x1080 px.), but 1080 pixels height are few for me.

Please understand that many features are OPTIONS, not use if you not like.

A example for Customizable GUI is the image editor program MIR (Multiple Image Resizer.NET) https://www.multipleimageresizer.net/features.aspx.You can drag and drop areas within the same window, according to distribution you prefer, or drag and convert into a new window.Would be wonderful!

Please install the program MIR and test the customizable GUI.Something similar to Renoise would be super!!!But first it is necessary to support the expansion of fonts and all GUI for higher resolutions 2K, 4K and following …

Here is the glod dust, the reason why Renoise development is so slow, and it is not very popular

User 1 - I want meh meh meh meh meh but no piano roll

User 2 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh whats wrong with piano roll

User 3 - No i want meh meh meh meh meh don’t care about piano roll

Rest of world - Its just a tracker

Renoise is just Renoise, it is just a tracker, there will be no piano roll anytime soon if ever (Have you even seen how old the piano roll thread is), there will be no audio tracks anytime soon if ever (audio tracks thread isn’t as old, but yeah check out how old that is too) they gave you Rewire and Redux specifically so that you could go and use a real DAW with audio tracks and piano roll, they have no interest in piano rolls and audio tracks hahahaha, its a tracker, it is geek software for geeks (Yes we are geeks, get over it)

The developers chose to invest their development time in geek features (Scripting and so on) not on usability features that would have drawn in new users, they cater for geeks, they don’t care about getting new users.

Take all that in to account and guess what the next version of Renoise will have, i will guess, its own DSP language for coding native plugins direct in the software, of which ten will get made in the first few months by the stalwart geeks round here, then it will never get used (Much like the current scripting) and another three years will have passed.

Bungle: CDP tool was a great advert for renoise. Like stepport or guru…