When People Are Interested In Using Renoise

when a person on a forum you use at any given time, speaks of being interested in tracking but mostly is speaking of being interested in Renoise. what do you find is the best advice?

also, when someone asks for help what do you give them?

today, a person of a forum was mentioning being interested in renoise so i said it may be trick at first. and i posted my picture of a screenshot with renoise having the aura besh font ((spelt incorrent) alien looking star wars font)
i said it may look like this at first until it makes sense. and after that it’s very easy to use.

then i gave the person a permanent link to renoise.com/help & the youtube search query for renoise.

what i could have done is gave a link to an XRNS of mine, but like all song files this is like looking at the outside of an engine. one must inspect the song to understand the concepts. this mode of thinking i dont know how to explain.
i basically summed it up by saying if you need any help, we could help at the other forum but come here to this forum, the renoise people are very friendly and willing to be very helpful. and any question you have can be answered usually very easily.

I’d say the learningcurve is very low, especially if one is familiar in tracking from past years (even on Soundtracker twenty years back). I did my first testsong the next day I downloaded the Renoise-demo. Ok, so I wasn’t aware how vsts work or how automated effects are done(did volumeslides by hand, silly me :D ) but the basics was there.

If someone is used to other types of programs like Reason, or Rebirth, or ProTools, or Cakewalk, Renoise is just about the most foreign thing one could possibly think of and the learning curve is extraordinarily high. People who are used to those kinds of programs look at Renoise and think “Wow, it’s like programming music in Excel, with hexadecimal numbers–that’s too much to learn for me, I’m not a programmer.” unfortunately.

If someone has never used a music making tool on a computer before, the learning curve is moderate.

If someone has ever used a tracker before and knows the basic concept of it, the learning curve is very low. It all depends on where someone is coming from.

No amount of talking will do it.

People get into tracking when they see you, a peer, working on music that far exceeds their expectations.

At least that’s my experience.

People sitting next to you, seeing crazy numbers fly across the screen and hearing music they think is good, they start thinking ‘if he can do it, then why can’t i ?!’

It also helps if they have basic experience with sound design, but not too much. This opens the possibility for them to see that everything they are learning is wrong, and that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, and evidently the way you are doing it is faster and more creative as far as they can tell.

Too much experience and they get this martial arts beginner attitude problem i.e. my style is better than your style.

My experience too. However, I’m a firm believer that any audio sequencer can ‘exceed expectations’ if one is so inclined to learn it’s weaknesses and how to overcome them. For instance…a program only allows 8 dry tracks? Render out audio from another program with all of your intended effects in there and arrange them in the 8-tracker program. I mean, really…it comes down to workflow. If the workflow suits you, that’s what you should use. Everything else is just a matter of knowing where the ceiling’s at with the program and knowing how to sledgehammer through it. I used to be biased towards certain programs but in the end, if someone’s looking to get into making music on the computer, your bias does nothing to help them. You should be fostering their desire and showing them options, not showcasing how you beat the shit out of ReNoise’ pattern editor and what not.

That’s just how I see it though and from experience, you get to see someone go from nothing to making killer music and even if you wished they had used ReNoise, you can still appreciate the tune.

-HS

I’ve just got into Renoise after years of using Cubase, and it’s SO refereshing. It’s more like being Reborn than anything else. I feel like I did back at the start, in a really good way. Making a mess, not expecting too much of what I create, and having fun. It really opens everying up again.

The price tag is refreshing too!

Hello,

Me, I like to use “Renoise 2” but I don’t love it, sorry. Unlikely to “FastTracker 2” where I loved using it but I didn’t pay :frowning:

“Renoise 2” is interesting for the new generation of “Trackers future” for making musics with samples, instruments & VST Instruments :slight_smile: I used RealTracker 2, ModPlug Tracker, MadTracker 2 & NoiseTrekker 3.

For me, Renoise 2 is a professionnal tool for making musics in MP3 (free or commercial). FastTracker 2 was popular thanks to Demo Party in 90’ and for his popular format XM :slight_smile:

Greetings,

ViZiON