Where do you usually find inspiration

Yessssss get out of your comfort zone.Works every time(almost):smiley:

1 Like

When my mind need to calm down I go to Renoise and decent things might happen, if I just go and sit down because I think I want to make music then itā€™s usually garbage unless I find an inspiring sound to build upon.

1 Like

I agree.Inspiration canā€™t be rushed.First sit down and have fun,worrie for composition later.

1 Like

IVmaj9, IV/V, iii7, vi, bVII
I, vm7, IV, ivā€¦

Thatā€™s my kind of inspiration, usually, but I get kind of stuck in it and donā€™t focus enough on the ā€˜beatsā€™.

2 Likes

Maybe a simple one pattern example would help to put those written chords in context so people can get an idea of what they sound like. Someone might get a little inspiration.

2 Likes

Just examples. You gotta play with it yourself. Inspiration seldom comes on a silver platter :wink:

Point being, finding ideas you havenā€™t tried before is always inspiring to me. Sometimes inspiration also just comes in a flash of a solid idea, that isnā€™t really special novelty wise. Just solid. But I tend to indulge in getting my inspiration while learning/trying new things.

The third way, and perhaps most important, is to get inspiration by transpiration. Something seemingly boring or simple can gradually become interesting and inspiring thru the very iterative process of creation.

1 Like

See, looking up how to read those chord progressions (or whatever you call them) is giving me inspiration. :wink:

Iā€™m incredibly lazy, but what I do is listen to a bunch of samples CDs Iā€™ve got until I find something that sounds old-school enough. Wish I could sample things myself but lately I have little to no exposure to media anymore, or at least sample-worthy kind of media.

1 Like

The internet is full of old school stuff to sample from,you just need time and patience.

Usually what inspires me is mainly listening to inspiring musics.

Depend of the musical genre but sometime reading books also help me the find some mood ideas, even illustrations books.

Visiting some events, art shows or concerts often give me some ideas too.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a neat trick for getting new ideas:

1 - Play some music in a genre you like

2 - Lower the volume until you can barely hear it

3 - Do something else while the music plays (so you can relax and not consciously try to make sense of the music)

When I do this, eventually my mind creatively ā€œmishearsā€ the barely audible music.

This can be a fertile source of ideas.

3 Likes

A few things that consistently work for me:
Downloading new Sample Packs or instruments to experiment with gets me going pretty well, oftentimes a single sound will inspire a whole song.
I also love reverse engineering songs by other artists, sometimes in different genres from my own - this leads to learning new techniques and ways to create sounds that I wouldnā€™t have considered otherwise.
And if all else fails, knocking out a few generic tracks can kickstart the ā€˜realā€™ creative process for me.

1 Like

Hi! When I have no clue what to do I usually try to build an instrument of some kind in renoise. Maybe smash up two samples or whatever. Kind of like a modular synth playground environment. Iā€™m a fan of bloopy sounds and stony soundscapes so it works good for me. Or Iā€™ll record some ambient sounds or talking and see if I can turn it into something weird. Usually gets the ball rolling. And if not I usually learn a cool trick for sound manipulation.
The other thing I do is play somewhere different (go outside change environment etc) and also switch up instruments(I know that doesnā€™t help too much within the renoise context but I tell ya if you feel roadblocked on your computer go strum a ukulele for an hour. Itā€™s a good head change and usually I do good stuff upon returning to the computer)

1 Like

Mostly I donā€™t need inspiration, music is always in my head. I would never run out of ideas. But there are two problems. First, there is not enough time to put everything into practice. Second, there are too many instruments, but not exactly the one Iā€™m searching for to get my idea into practice. So usually it ends up like this: Iā€™m searching for the instrument that I already have in my head, but with every single instrument I check new ideas are floating my head, and in the end Iā€™ve got a completely different song than expected. So I could say my inspiration is every single tone I hear. But of course I also get inspiration by the work of other artists. Or through a specific mood. It depends. Since years there are that many ideas that I only finish about 5% of my tracks, because I start creating something, new ideas are poppinā€™ up while searching for the right instruments, so I start another track and maybe also another one, but I only finish one of them, and meanwhile I started to create a couple of some more tracks and so on. Thatā€™s the problem. But I guess thatā€™s a good problem, not a bad one. But indeed itā€™s a problem. :wink:

1 Like