While waiting for Redux...

Are we talking about no “public” info or no info at all? I mean, you guys that signed up for beta testing have som infos right?

probably some unforeseen hurdles have delayed it / user feedback after the release of 3.0 have taken the devs back to the drawing board?

That is my guess, too. Renoise has many problems when it comes to the sampler part and 3.0 unfortunately added some more (while also fixing some others). To make all this interesting as a standalone product competing with other samplers probably takes time. But I actually think it is better to take more time and then have a proper sampler then just releasing quick with a lot missing. For Redux to compete it needs to rock right from the beginning I think.

Doubt it will compete now

In the low end you have TX16W, it is a bit rude to program, but still, it has more features than the sample engine in Renoise by an absolute mile, then you have One Small Clues new sampler, which is actually pretty cool for setting up strange stuff in.

Then in the high end you have Kontakt and Mach and nothing in Renoise competes with those.

So i would guess only Renoise users will buy it, and that leaves no market for soundware developers, which is the downward spiralling vicous circle

Doubt it will compete now
In the low end you have TX16W, it is a bit rude to program, but still, it has more features than the sample engine in Renoise by an absolute mile, then you have One Small Clues new sampler, which is actually pretty cool for setting up strange stuff in.
Then in the high end you have Kontakt and Mach and nothing in Renoise competes with those.
So i would guess only Renoise users will buy it, and that leaves no market for soundware developers, which is the downward spiralling vicous circle

That is why I strongly believe that Redux will be improved to have at least basic sampler features covered. On top of that, I think Redux can potentially be superior to some of the other candidates (e.g. phrases - and hence basic sequencing included; unifying sampling and VST hosting). But only if the basics are covered as well.

From the little we already know about Redux im sure it will be awesome. It might also be a good entry to get new ppl interested in Renoise.

I mostly agree, I think they’re banking on the phrase system mini-tracker as being the differentiator, it’s not realistic to think it will go toe to toe with kontakt. I’m wondering a bit about the dev time too. It seemed like the had designed the instrument in R3 with the explicit intention of making it separable as a module (I’m guessing doing a alot of refactoring work under the hood).

Given that they seemed to invest a lot of R3 dev time refactoring, it doesn’t seem like it should have taken this long to build a vst out of the instrument… unless there’s some second guessing BTS due to the R3 feedback.

Personally I have mixed feelings about redux. It’s probably a bit of a hail mary to expand a saturated user base, but I can’t imagine say, the median maschine or ableton user getting all that excited about it. If the price is reasonable, I’ll probably buy it anyway “just in case” I someday find a use case in in one of my other DAW workflows. So may end up being a cash infusion from renoise users willing to pay for a somewhat-redundant product. I’d rather see the dev time being put towards the next generation of renoise, but I undersand that’s probably not providing too much cash flow given the massive time gap between +1.0 version increments.

It’s not an easy time for self-distributed software. Seeing camel audio go out of business, audiomulch dev slowing down, things are probably getting tough…

That is why I strongly believe that Redux will be improved to have at least basic sampler features covered. On top of that, I think Redux can potentially be superior to some of the other candidates (e.g. phrases - and hence basic sequencing included; unifying sampling and VST hosting). But only if the basics are covered as well.

I’d rather see the dev time being put towards the next generation of renoise, but I undersand that’s probably not providing too much cash flow given the massive time gap between +1.0 version increments.

+1

This was my first thoughts when we heard about Redux. What we heard though was that Redux shouldn’t be eating up time from Renoise development. Wonder how that can be possible, not any new team members are there? Cheers

@revo11, Workflow (and not having to rewire) with other DAWs, Renoise instruments and phrases is exactly whats gonna be the bomb for me.

Personally I have mixed feelings about redux. It’s probably a bit of a hail mary to expand a saturated user base, but I can’t imagine say, the median maschine or ableton user getting all that excited about it. If the price is reasonable, I’ll probably buy it anyway “just in case” I someday find a use case in in one of my other DAW workflows. So may end up being a cash infusion from renoise users willing to pay for a somewhat-redundant product. I’d rather see the dev time being put towards the next generation of renoise, but I undersand that’s probably not providing too much cash flow given the massive time gap between +1.0 version increments.

It’s not an easy time for self-distributed software. Seeing camel audio go out of business, audiomulch dev slowing down, things are probably getting tough…

I won’t mind a 3.1 that don’t introduce any feature but provide (even) better workflow to all the potential powers of 3.0.

Speaking of Camel went out of business, it’ll probably be a good choice for Redux to implement sfz mapping, that will open up another potential base, especailly if Redux contains the awesome wave editor/keymap system of Renoise, import/exporting to “multiple wav + sfz map” will be an appropriate move for a modern sampler.

btw Alchemy presets are sfz related as well (at least for the trial Player version), they load fine into Plogue sforzando. (only map informations of course)

What i still don’t get is why they hold secrets on renoise development !

I know it has been discussed before on couple of reasons why they do that but like i said before we should be aware approximately of what is going on in the workshop back there.

Because lets be serious for one moment here, the last new we heard from the dev team was on December 21th, 2013 for renoise 3 beta release and a little bit later for the update.

Basicly what i want to say again is please renoise dev team, i am a huge fan of your work, and i very appreciate this ! What could be nice is to have news from you guys more than once a year. Even tho you don’t have nothing to show ! At least just say something Please :slight_smile:

What i still don’t get is why they hold secrets on renoise development !

maybe its because renoise get more popular, and it have more features than ever, and then there is group of people who say that everything is shit, and this is not ableton, so im guessing if devs give us some early info or some early beta release, devs would be eaten alive. i hope community here will not become similar to NI forums, because that is not good place to be

the last new we heard from the dev team was on December 21th, 2013

There has been a number of updates, most were basically saying “everything going as planned, it just takes time”. Another way of saying “please go with what you were doing”.
However, then there was a statement like the following one:

AFAIK the first Redux info will be released during mid/late January. That will of course be announced on the mailing list, and I guess, here.

This still holds true - we should see something surface before the end of the month.

It would be amazing if NAMM would experience Redux :slight_smile:

if the Devs can make a sample delay native plugin which can work both + & - in offset,

that would be cool. because then you can offset any sample in time, by the DSP

in the sampler just for the elements concerned. without having to rely on a 3rd party plug,

and without having to enter delay values in any pattern data.

This still holds true - we should see something surface before the end of the month.

Time is running :w00t:

I have no interest in Redux, at least not yet, but I guess I’m looking forward to the launch anyhow if that means there will be more focus on Renoise again? :badteethslayer:
moar, moar!

I have no interest in Redux, at least not yet, but I guess I’m looking forward to the launch anyhow if that means there will be more focus on Renoise again? :badteethslayer:
moar, moar!

Work on Redux IS work on Renoise. They’re not simply porting the existing sampler to a VST, it’s getting some major upgrades, not the least of which will be improved DSP devices. And Renoise will get all the upgrades Redux gets. So development time on Redux is not development time taken away from Renoise.

Time is running :w00t:

Yes, I got a wallclock for christmas which is now sitting in the kitchen looking down at me…

No stress!!

Work on Redux IS work on Renoise. They’re not simply porting the existing sampler to a VST, it’s getting some major upgrades, not the least of which will be improved DSP devices. And Renoise will get all the upgrades Redux gets. So development time on Redux is not development time taken away from Renoise.

?

I have to admit every time I have trouble loading the forums I get excited and consider checking the backstage.