Why I personally hate the whole idea of remixing.

nice post Zer0 Fly

Creativity can not be forced, is similar to Buddhist Upadana in Reverse
Too lucky (to me) music is such an extensive Topic that it is still not bored

it works here without it

You can get rich today with a minimum Creativity and without DJ Skills

Davon abgesehen fande ich Paul Van Dyk schon immer scheisse

I’m sorry, “Big Super Grandmasta”, but I adamantly refuse to let anyone remix the compositions I make, not even for pay or money. Music, and the enjoyment of it, is more important than all the money in the world. I actually HATE money. The love of money is the root of all evil, and I certainly don’t like the idea of someone paying me to let them remix any of the works I compose.

This is the problem with the mainstream and the commercial, it’s all money-orientated, and it’s nothing but mass garbage. You lot don’t really understand the true meaning of the real music composer creating classic electronic music stemming back to the 90s, 80s, 70s, and even the mid 50s when Karlheinz Stockhausen created the first electronic masterpiece “Gesang Der Junglinge (Song of Youths)”, which is REAL ELECTRONIC MUSIC, serious electronic music, true electronic music, not all this garbage by the names of Bigroom House and Electro House and Trap and Dubstep and all this bunch of noise, copying other people’s music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCs6Muljmk

I’m sorry to have to say this, you who goes by the name of “Chief Above Chief Member”, but the comment that ‘You can get rich today with a minimum creativity and without DJ skills’ is highly discouraging to me and other artistic musicians. Creativity and fun are much more important and enjoyable than getting rich. Again I say, the love of money is the root of all evil. Getting rich has destroyed the lives of many e.g. Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, and Avicii. You can be come very creative today without the need of getting rich or making money. As for DJ skills, they can be put to use in venues beyond clubs and bars, and it’s better to present your own compositions rather than give in to other people’s demands. Rather that playing at clubs and bars, it’s better to present music at community centres, girl-guides, peace camps, scout camps, drop-in centres, sports complexes, and such like.

Working for the mass music market is not the way to go, as far as I’m concerned. You need to love making music that you love, provided that it is artistic music. You mustn’t do it to get into the charts or keep an A&R man happy. Just only make music that you really love, and hopefully someone’s going to like it, or even love it. That’s my advice to all you reposters in this post I made.

1 Like

Also its better to only write music which has references to jesus and make sure to include some messages about joining the army and about the importance of working hard in an office and paying the tax on time. Something like the mary poppins style of music, or the abba and always have a hairspray side parting or short back and sides hairstyle and be neat and tidy wearing the work clothes when appear on stage and try to appear as good example like the brady bunch or like the hanson style of perform.

1 Like

I love remixing, I think it’s really an interesting experience to assume someone else’s music.

Agree that there’s a lot of commercial stuff being put out that simply shoehorns a known and loved song into [insert flavor of the month], and often the remix is simply made to raise the remixers own profile/visibility. But I don’t mind that, because that’s just the world we live in. And somewhere, someone is going to love that remix anyway and discover the original track in this “backwards” way.

No, I’m talking about the more personal and intimate experience of actually remixing and how you get to, intimately, listen to and learn about another persons ideas.

To me, this is like listening really closely to music - something I can actually find hard because my mind tends to wander off. Within a remixing context, I get to actually concentrate on a specific task and that helps my ears to be more focused.

1 Like

Discovering Kruder and Dorfmeister’s excellent old double album of remixes got me interested in electronic music in the first place, waaay too many years ago now.

When you remix you use someone else fame for your own sake, this is widely used in hardcore for exemple.

there’s 3 types of remix (from the worst to the cooler)

1 - everybody know the sampled track, the producer put it in the break, don’t work so much on it then drop on something else… (this is really using fame)
2 -everybody know the sampled track but the producer destroyed it, with glitch and effect or make a double remix with another sample really unexpected
3 - nobody recognize the sampled track because nobody knows it or the producer destroyed it so much that the very essence of the original track totaly vanished : this is for me the true way of remixing track without using someone else fame.

ethic is personal :wink:

Personally i have no problems with remixes, but i understand the problem with taking credit for other people’s work. I don’t find remixing to be that easy at all, probably mostly because i always wanted to create my own thing and has not been much into remixes. So i wouldn’t say it is always the easy route, but that of course depends on the work put into it. If you just add a beat and calls it a wrap then i don’t find a point with it.

If i made a track and someone else got rich and famous for it without giving proper credits or pretending that it’s his own work i would probably get very pissed off and sue his/her ass with a large and akwardly shaped object. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So I do only one remix a year
this time i remixed 6 tracks in1

1 Like

Remixing isn’t creative?

I disagree, remixing has been a part of electronic dance music since the beginning. Sure, there are instances such as you describe, but remixing on the whole is an essential part of what makes a quality artist/scene/culture, plus it gives you the chance to collaborate and expand your skill set and network.

Please open your mind to it, such restrictive and reductive attitudes only serve to make you seem like a pompous ass. I hope your work justifies such a superior attitude young man.

2 Likes

Some of the best versions of tracks I’ve heard are remixes. Herbert did a run called Secondhand Sounds in early 2000s which is cracking. Also remember the Massive Attack No Protection remix album by Mad Professor? Quality. Sh*t I’m showing my age. If you are referring to some the tripe that just uses a base hook or chorus of a ‘well known tune’, and just adds a house pattern or break behind it with some weird cranky auto-tuned vocal, then yes, if it’s committed in a slovenly manner it will most likely fail badly on my first assessment.

My point is that remixing can be a powerful opening and creative experience: taking another artist’s work and reinterpreting it or taking it down a different avenue. It happens all the time; whether that being in design and film, literature, journalism, or music. So to say that wholesale remix work is bad is missing the point of it, and you might be closing yourself off to some of the best work out there.

In my ‘aesthetically’ personal opinion :slight_smile:

p.s. @Richard Bastard (1 post) - are you trolling? If not, good first post :wink:

1 Like

When I started making music with FT2 and then Renoise, I mostly sampled things and then played with and added to them. Anything I made from scratch was just horrible. Another thing I always enjoyed doing is adding speech samples, from movies or whatever. All that was just for fun, but then I began writing lyrics, some of which I really liked, so I started to rap… and ended up having a lot of beats based on a sample, and just about everything had speech in intro and outro.

But that’s not really tenable, so after a lot of hesitation and heartache I now started to mercilessly remove at least from my own site anything I don’t own, sample wise (I figure soundcloud and youtube can handle legal complaints on their own, and I don’t enable downloads on soundcloud so that should be cool-ish… I hope). All speech samples too, with very few exceptions. I kinda dreaded doing this, but it actually feels so liberating. Not just from a legal perspective, but I’m feeling more like I’m not using things other people made to “spice up” what I made without them even knowing. It just feels “more right”, if that makes sense. I don’t mind at all when others sample, but personally, it’s turned from crutch to serious limitation and I’m happy to throw it out. That is, turn off the respective note columns, until I’m filthy rich and can buy the rights, right?

That being said, I recently come across this, and like this much more than the original haha:

hey,
i personally love remix !! and i agree it needs creativity to remix music , not everyone’s cup of tea!!
I used this source for effective speed , Does Wonders to the Beats!!
regards!!

2 Likes