Why Is Renoise So Noisy?

I did what you suggested, cranked up the sound on my monitors to its maximum…

no noise.

Delta 44 over here.

hm … some time ago i had the same experience with the EWX 24/96 and full volume … there could be different reason for such ambient noises … mobo … line-ins … power supplies …

try to hook up your renoise to ground :P

keith, ever switched between ASIO and DS?
I also have noises when I start Renoise and it stops when the soundcard isn’t idling anymore but I blame my (truly) crappy sound card.
In your case I’m thinking of your ASIO or DS settings.
Because you say that the noise only appears in Renoise.
Let’s say you don’t have any other application that uses ASIO, then the driver could be the reason.
Or if you use DS and the noise appears only in Renoise, then it’s probably because of any special latency-settings in Renoise. It’s just a guess, however.
Hope I could help anyways.

thanks gilli.
sounds like a reasonable suggestion.
i’m currently at work and will check the directsound interface as soon as i’m back home.
although my feeling is, that it isn’t driver dependant because i’m running wavelab, for example, with ASIO as well… but we’ll see.

since the only piece of hardware that you didn’t change is your gfx card, it would make sense to be related with the noise you get.

after all graphic cards are know to produce much electrostatic junk. and who knows what obscure graphic routines renoise uses, and in what mood your graphic card gets through it.

does it happen in both windowed and fullscreen modes?

have you placed your soundcard in the last pci-slot, much away from the gfx board?

not quite sure about that, but the way the guy in the computer store explained it to me ,is that the last pci slot may share it’s ressources with an other, so it’s important not to put two bandwidth demanding cards in these two slots.

never heared about a connection between lower irq and lower latency… but that doesn’t mean anything of course.

of course 96khz give you a lower latency cause AFAIK the latency is set in samples, not in ms. But 96khz also means twice the amount of calculations needed per second, which means you need quite a fast cpu if you want to use many plugins.

personally, i don’t really understand that latency madness, i honestly don’t believe that anyone can spot a difference between 5ms and lower. and 5ms shouldn’t be a problem to reach for any modern soundcard+pc anyway.
AFAIK most hardware synths and sampler have a latency around 10ms, and people never had a problem with that.

:eek: you show-off! i have an Echo - Indigo DJ fully Asio2.0 compatible, and there is no noise while using renoise :D