Why Should I Use Linux

Hello overthere,

It may be a stupid question, but what could be a reason to quit windows and start using linux. And further do you need other vst’s or can you use the same as in windows.
Are there for instance linux versions of waves plugs available and wavelab?

thanks in advance :panic:

a couple of months ago,i considered using linux as my music OS,what made me consider it was that it is free,and that both reaper and renoise have linux versions,and that i had some problems with my windows at the time,but when i finally got linux installed i couldnt get my head around it.so now i use xp

but if you will try out linux,i can recommend the dynebolic version,it is a version for audio,and comes with some nice music software

My few simple but top pro’s:
-Much more routing facilities (JACK, MIDI)
-Less latencies in audio and MIDI signals

The few cons:
-Not much native Linux VST’s and buggy ports of existing Win editions (VST on Linux is still a bit in its initial state)
-You can run Win VST plugs, but you need WINE, FST and LASH and plugins can only be controlled through routing so you may experience problems with presets that are not saved along your song etc.

Last but not least:
If you are an absolute Linux beginner, you may run up against various installation problems and dependency troubles if you want to achieve a certain situation that suit your needs.
Not that you won’t find answers on the web and forums, but if you are used to a comprehensive setup and install environment like Windows where everything is regulated and done under the hood for you, you have to get used to the Linux situation where you have to read a lot and share your problems with a community to get a solution more often than you usually have to do.

Many thanks,

I know enough, I rather make music . :drummer:

:drummer:

AVLinux
http://www.bandshed.net

How to test one of the best Live Linux Distro for making music…

• go there --> http://www.bandshed.net/iso/

• download the “avlinux2r2-lxde-xfce-i386-en.iso” file. (not the last version as it is not really stable)

• burn the .iso on a DVD

• Reboot on the DVD

• Test it live without any installation (many sound softwares and the great LinuxDSP plugins)

• Install it if you want a great LXDE/XFCE Linux Sound Distro ready to use, based on Debian/Lenny, with a RT-Kernel installed.

(it just needs some few tweaks for making it really really powerfull with jack server, but it works great out of the box)

Ardour - Jack - LinuDSP - Wine - RTKernel - LXDE or XFCE - Ladspa plugins - and many more sound softs!!!

:panic:

I have a very old PIII 667 mhz laying around, could I install linux on such a system and be able to run the latest Renoise? What distro would you advice for such an old pc?

Also, what about drivers for the hardware installed, can linux automatically run on anything? :)

AVLinux does indeed look good - will have to give it a try.

If you would like to give Fedora a try, go for Fedora 12 and the Planet CCRMA repos (hosted by Stanford University’s Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics. I posted a reply on another thread that describes this environment here.

All told, no matter which distribution you go with, Linux gives you great routing capabilities via JACK and low-latency via the real-time kernel. As mentioned before, some native VSTs work well and some don’t; I personally have Native Instruments’ Kontakt and Kore players (free) running beautifully and pipe their output into a line-in device in Renoise. It’s as simple as tweaking my sound in Kontakt/Kore and then recording a sample.

Check out my post in the link above for more details.

I use linux at least part of the time on my music computer, it’s nice to get away from windows and all the little things you have to do to get a solid windows machine, and branch out into linux (which does have its own setup requirements)

I recommend trying the ArtistX distro: http://www.artistx.org/site2/

easy to try on liveDVD, and it like mentioned it has nearly all the mulitamedia software aval on linux included and installed.

it doesn’t have renoise install FYI cause it’s payware but its very simple to install.

I have also used PlanetCCRMA, which i also recommend.

for netbooks, i found that the pure:dyne distro gave me the best performance.

My vote goes to …

Sidux

^_^

Why try Linux?
Oh, mwu-ah-hahahh-haaaa…

Ever thought about having an unbreakable, deadly stable machine for live setup? Well, its Linux that allows to get rid of all window GUI’s and other unncessary garbage and just boot up Renoise, pure and distilled.

Ah saw dat, and dat wuz pretty, uh, badass.

That would be a one rock solid reason to try Linux, if you ask me.

I’m working in Linux so… it was only natural to seek making music in Linux
too. Since Renoise has a very solid native port (and Reaper runs in wineasio
well) it’s just easy.

The only things I’ve lost switching completely to Linux were games. However I
don’t have much time for them now, nor interest doing so. Anyway I prefer some
old-school arcade style action if I’m really bored. ;)

Q) Why Should I Use Linux?
A) If you have to ask, you probably shouldn’t.