Why The Jump From 2.1 To 2.5

That is what i actually more or less explained or perhaps we just misunderstand eachother, the information you refer to can be found here:
http://www.renoise.com/help/registrationfaq/#updates
and again specially here:

All this information is linked from within the order page.
If people read this stuff, there won’t be any of this kind of confusion at all. Ofcourse we have no problems confirming this from our side if asked, but suggesting things that are already there either makes clear that the way this information is provided, is being presented wrong or people don’t want to read any further.

Hello,

After like half a year or so of break in composing stuff I decided to download the latest Renoise I am eligible for, which is 2.3 or something.
Well… where is it? I can’t see the link in backstage.

Don’t tell me they jumped from 2.1 to 2.5… WTF? Have I been ripped from 2 upgrades or what?
That really doesn’t make me want to upgrade, you know?
Unless I just can’t find the link to 2.2/2.3…

Heh?

Edit:

One more - how do you get rid of the freaking photo in the avatar? Where did it come from? Disqus or what?

Discussed to death. Read here:

Click here…

(beaten to the punch by Conner!)

Ooo fanboys here.
And there - OK, I’ll continue on the other thread.

OK so I’m finally here.
Pointless? No, not really… about 4/5 of posts in this thread talking about some BS examples from somewhere in space are pointless.

First of all, to all those fanboys having so much laugh at people who ask questions (to paraphrase you: “how can they ask questions! ha! they bought something they should sh… the f… up!” - right? buahaha…):
it’s not a matter of 60 euros - and you shouldn’t judge people like “oh, it’s so little” - for you it might be little, for people from Kazakhstan it may be a 3-month wage (I’m not from Kazakhstan).

Like someone said - it’s a matter of Terms of service. If you can’t assure people they’ll have every update like 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 then DON’T offer this. To say more, if you have a change like once a year between 2.0 and 2.1 and you try to justify the switch from 2.1 to 2.5 with that - DON’T make changes once a year. It’s simple - it’s just a question of behaving towards customers.

Commenting like “they should go 2.1.14 - 2.1.15” is just childish, really… chill, kids.

I am not interested in Cubase and other software. We are on a Renoise forum and stick to the topic. The main idea is why they jumped from 2.1 to 2.5 making people lose half or 1/3 of their promised “milestones” (because when you sell something then it’s a deal - not a “small upgrade” - learn how to separate facts from opinions, again).
You can always write “you will get upgrades from your version until 5.0” and then upgrade the version every week… do you think that would be fair? It’s just another extreme.
It’s like GM or something offered cars “in any color you want as long as it’s black…”

Generally I’m a bit pissed at what you did. You know, you should’ve made upgrades more often if you can’t afford people buying just once every 3-4 years. It looks like you just needed money so wise guys sat down with beer and someone said “hey, let’s switch from 2.1 to 2.5 then ten thousand suckers will have to upgrade! ha!.”

Playing according to rules is precious nowadays. Stick to them, people.

Look at the download page, it is clear Renoise had ever had .1 increments and has never promised to do so.

http://www.renoise.com/download/renoise/

1.8.x

Try reading some of the release notes that come out with each version. The changes between 2.1 and 2.5 were huge! Especially under the hood changes with masses of work done on the whole of the way the software handles audio and timing. The Developers have never promised to release at .1 changes each time and if they feel the amount of work they have put in warrants an extra point or two I say that’s fair enough. You have still had new versions available to download for free for far longer than almost any other professional software out there, at a far lower price than most of them.

Re-reading your opening post in your old thread I see that maths, and possibly even counting, isn’t your strong point so there’s probably very little point in trying to make you see sense and understand your purchase is still as valuable as it ever was, no promises have been broken, nobody has lied and you have not been ripped off.

To quote Daft Punk, one more time!

Have a look a the release notes:

1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.5 -> 1.8 -> 1.9 -> 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 2.5 -> 2.6

The next version, already announced is 2.7.

There have been version jumps in the past, there will be jumps in the future. It’s not a new thing.

If you were good until 2.3, as you say, then you have received 6+ years of upgrades and thousands of new features (not just big fixes like other software) Also, if you bought renoise 6+ years ago you paid much less.

But yeah, don’t upgrade, stick it to the man! Show those minimum wage developers doing something for love, robbing you of 6 years of good times.

This thread, about possibility of changes license method, may also be of good reading to you if you really care and don’t just want to complain as you feel strangely cheated for getting free updates for so many years.

Maybe they did… But; if you can be bothered to search back through very old threads you will see that it was announced that there would be a massive overhaul of a large section of the code and next release would be 2.5 quite shortly after 2.1 came out. They never pretended otherwise and have always been more than honest with us. Especially if you compare to most other programming houses. Sure they wont generally make promises of what will make it into the next release, or often even what they are working on as it may give people wrong expectations, but if you can not appreciate the effort and the honesty the Renoise development team work with then I pity you. Maybe if you actually got involved in the community, rather than made false assumptions and accusations, you would understand and not feel so embittered about the need to upgrade your awesome choice in a DAW.

All I can say to the Renoise Gods is: Don’t listen to the haters, keep doing what you do.

Threads merged.

People… it’s about rules of business. I am not interested in size of changes.
Please, focus on facts. I don’t care about opinions.
I don’t want to hear that updates were made like once every two years or something - I already explained it to you.

If you write “buy with 1.3, get until 2.3” and then you jump from 2.1 to 2.5 then is it sticking to rules or not? IS IT? Come ooon, IS IT? People, please - some basic logics.

Make it hiper extra totally awesome music-everything-and-blowjob-maker… and having 3.0 make it 4.0. With the rule “you buy 2.3 - you get until 3.3” …would it be breaking rules? It WOULD. No matter what changes, no matter what fanboys write and what they laugh at… it’s NOT serious business.

My piece of advice, on the other hand is, DO care about customers.

That’s everything from me. No other comments, everything said.

replying to this so hopefully the disgruntled poster actually notices this…this point was made b4 and poster’s response did not indicate he did any research into this topic and how it has been discussed ad infinitum

a comment to this effect was made directly after the poster’s initial post and no acknowledgement.

pls…heed these suggestions b4 posting further…

edit…just read response(writing this response while you were posting), i do get where u are coming from…the thing is what rules are you refering to and where are they written.

The only rules of business I know are to honor agreements, verbal or written(which in this case they have).

Legal obligations(the only ones that matter in business) are to honor that which is expressed in writing.

There was no express promise outlined anywhere which mentioned update frequency, better said you were never promised a specific number of updates.

That being said, being as you the buyer agreed to those things as they were the ones outlined, they are fully in the clear.

The onus is on the consumer to fully understand terms and conditions before entering into an agreement.

Had you fulfilled your obligation to yourself you would have realised that what you believe where the rules of business were not the ones you agreed to.

At fullscreen we have now a clock and i think this is good for a full version number, but for any reason the devs count in an other way … ^_^

this is basic logic!
i´ve never seen anything like “buy with 1.3, get until 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3”

please show me where you´ve seen this !

btw, buy cubase or logic and pay vor every update 200+ € :D

and yes, i´m a fanboy :panic:

You’re lucky they decided to only do a 0.4 jump for such a massive rewrite of code. Many softwares would of gone with a full version jump with that work, no matter if they had just passed a x.0 or not.

Just to pluck one of the most well known softwares but stepping outside the audio realm let’s have a look at Avid’s release versions and see if they go in 0.1 step increments. (Even thought I don’t think they even let you do small upgrades for free from what I remember, we run an almost ancient version at work.)

1.0 - 1.5 - 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.5 - 2.6 - 2.7 - 2.8 - 3.0 - 3.1 - 3.5 - 4.0 - 5.0

But noooo, it’s only Renoise that does this because the Devs are money grabbing liers aren’t they. :rolleyes:

It’s normal practice and software companies are perfectly within their right to advance version numbers by an amount which they feel is respective of the amount of work gone in, both legally and morally, (and by any amount whatsoever legally I guess.)

As I’ve already said Renoise has been more than fair and honest with us at all times, get over yourself, you’re not going to make any friends around here causing a fuss and throwing your toys out of the pram over matters which have been discussed to hell and back.

You haven’t read anything of our upgrading policy because that is really clear in your reaction.
First start reading these rules and then analyze the 99% bullshit ratio in your current post. It would have saved you a lot of time to spend on more interesting activities to execute.

Version numbers are names, not numbers. You cannot apply maths to them.