Why Trackers

i don’t. and nuthing’s wrong, it’s just that, as somebody said, i feel everything i do is smth i’ve already done but in a slightly different way and i need a fresh perspective on music (just like it happened when i jumped from reason to cubase and then to live)

:blink: mind you, i first saw renoise (or any other tracker for that matter) 2 days ago, so i have no f****ing clue what ur talkin about.

this is all i managed to do:

and a bit off topic, are any of u making dnb with renoise?

Looks like you are on the right track…

:D

I use trackers because they are my roots.
Not just because i learned Noisetracker on Amiga back in 1991, but i used many digiroutines that had a similar interface on C64 like Rockmonitor or Music Assembler (Dutch USA team). This all prior to going to Amiga and the style of trackers in there.
If you ever have learned to compose music, note by note in an assembly editor like Turbo Assembler, trust me you feel very comfortable when going from that to a tracker.

The pros of a tracker is you have a very tight sequence at your fingertips, so for very rythmic songs a tracker is definately attractive to use.
And with the recording of note-delays, for your lead-instrumental additions, you don’t need to worry that this tightness forms the problem of you needing to be a piano and time virtuose either.
But various tempo’s (speed/bpm combinations) may not sync properly with different VST plugins as they may not support unrounded arbitrary ratios.

DnB… Connor BW is one of the musicians here i know into this stuff.

There is a site where they release home-made stuff (not specifically always sounding home-made!) and they have a contest now and then:
http://www.mtldnb.com/index.php?name=News&…e=article&sid=9
It’s a good place to start as well as to get the samples to get going around.

@dumi.

im doing some dnb with Renoise but also check this thread, amazing programming skills there : http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?act…da837a9c9170bb3

some wellknown artists use trackers for dnb and beatsmayhem,
Venetian Snares, www.vsnares.com

JonastheplugExpert is also freakin amazing,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic…fm?bandID=99763

all using Renoise one way or the other.

mlon

Be sure to check out the wiki if you want to learn all those cool effect codes : renoise wiki

For example you better quickly learn how to think in hexadecimal, e.g. half of 10 is 08 :o

I read a lot of articles by leading innovative producers and they are using really well known things from big companies (pro tools, logic, battery, cubase, NI, all the usuals). Why go and be another clone? Why be locked into the same limitations and same freedoms as the mainstream? Tracking presents possibilities that nothing else presents. You’ll get original sounds because the entire conceptual process is a seperate line of evolution. And alive and well.

Want to see the full extent of this? Go download some XM or IT files from around 2000-2001, by people like It-Alien or Hunz. The audio quality isn’t there, but the audio trickery and uniqueness is there. There are countless RNS files you can download from the songs section that show this off for Renoise.

If you ask me I would say Logic is a way better program than Renoise. But the sounds you can get out of Renoise are way way better… bla bla blah you get the point…

Yep, originality is the key.

why tracker and not … ummm … cubase?

cubase is cool because :
you ve sample stream support <_<
(damit, i know you devs are busy all the time, i just pray … and pray)

trackers are betters because:

its easier.

renoise for the win because:

its more exact. higher controll of everything. even the way renoise handles
the vst host is nothing against steinberg :blink: 100% controll over every knob?

“oh when i slue the knob with my mouse its turining every time i push play?”
yea but you dont get the controll down to a 1/128 or deeper.

“aaah mixermap, cool”
now spend cheeky time gettin this working and pray you wont chang it.

at the same time you dont have to handle xx submenues and exorbitant dialogs,
nor you need one year to understand what the heck steinberg was smoking
while they developed the workflow.

bottom line

trackers are solid and simple.
renoise hits the edge since you are able to do everthing a “professional”
composing software affords. … ok besides streamed samples lol

like everyone else; tracker history on the amiga + acquired tracking skills over the years + vst power in current trackers is the ultimate combo. yes

What I really like most about Trackers <=> Sequencer is that you really have control about the Stuff more accurate than ANY other tool can provide. There are so many effects which are very hard to do on Cubase. The other real pro for trackers is that they usually have a very low CPU-consumption (except you are using VST/i) and a high quality sound.

When it comes to sequencing, the newer trackers are MIDI-compatible and even can get Sysex-Data and dynamic keypress data. These are things that were very hard to do a while ago.

Sequencers and tracker come closer and closer now. You can import Midi in Renoise and through tools like midiyoke and stuff like this you even can export your RNS into midi.

I agree with dopefish

That’s where I step in. I’m sure you have found the right piece of software to produce DnB. Check the song page of this site to look for any DnB songs.

Enjoy one of my Breakbeat tracks:

breaks1

breaks2

Renoise Drum & Bass songs page

my advice is… don’t stick to one concept… use the best of both worlds to produce your music. for me it’s writing and composing in renoise and producing (post producing) in traditional sequencers

i love using renoise because of the closeness i have to my samples.
microedits are something trackers have always been able to do well.
ability to get the idea out of the mindframe and into a track should be the main goal of every music program, once you understand the very basic rules of tracking that becomes 2nd nature.

Try to download Keith303 and Kcirr3d 's songs. They are excellent quality and I don’t believe this could have been done in Reason or FL studio or queerbase. :o

There is nothing wrong with Abelton 5 (also software from Germany). It is used differently. With Renoise you can create drum-loop. Then maybe you can render to .wav and open the .wav in Abelton. Learn to use both tools.

If you just started with tracking this week, you will not be able to make great songs. But this is a good tool to learn and you’ll start making great loops (patterns) soon.

:D

I like trackers because they’re so much like the no-nonsense hardware sequencers I was brought up with…

Crossed with very sophisticated and easy to use sample editing…

I love the interface of Renoise, and the fact you can do so much with just keyboard shortcuts - Using the mouse is very fiddly, and really not what you want to be doing when trying to make music…

Also, the visual representation of music and pattern data is much more relevant to how you hear it… Piano rolls and arrange grids are an absolute nightmare for subjectivity - Cubase syndrome 'n all…

Ableton is my 2nd favorite - The interface is very nice - Looping aspect is wonderful - And of course the audio recording…

Renoise’s sound quality and summing is better than Ableton’s, as are the filters (significantly!), and add to that better envelopes, more useful fx and built-in sample editing…

I would love to be able to use Renoise as my main sequencer again, but unfortunately it seems it’ll not be a possibility while I’m working from my laptop…

1. Renoise simply won’t let me use ASIO with my emi 2/6 soundcard; (Win XP)

& 2) Renoise still has that “drunken” external MIDI timing;

So it’s with great dissapointment I can only ever use Renoise for creating, and exporting, the odd drum loop, as I’d love to be able to do everything within it…

that is really true too!

Using trackers, because there was nothing I could handle with when I was 12 years old and a friend of mine played some 4 channel mods to me through the pc speaker (modplay, I was so totally amazed), and he gave me the good old modedit-tracker (was it the first on pc?). Welll, this was in 1992.
After that I’ve got in touch with a lot of pc- and amiga-tracker dudes, and so my tracker story has begun… (and I love the evolution of the demoscene from that year till today).

It is because I’m a “Tracker” addicted from the beginning, and I need to make my music from up-to-down, not from right-to-left :). And it seems to me to be the bright better way to watch the notes flowing upside, than waiting for something coming from the right side of the screen - how do you read books?
Musc isn’t one sentence readable from left to right, music is the whole story from up to down :).

Btw: Just wanted to post directly after reading the topic, haven’t read the most posts above (listening to renoise-long-track right now:), sorrrry, guys :).

rrrrenoise

I had my first experience composing on computers in the early '80s on the
ZX Spectrum using WHAM! with a whopping 2-simulated channels…
(Actually, to be completely honest, my first musical endevours was by writing
Basic-code using the Beep-command on the Speccy! Horrid! We’ve come a long way!)
When I later got myself an Amiga I used Sonix for a while…
These two aint trackers. They used a score based system where you plotted
your notes onto a score-sheet… this was very fortunate for me because it
forced me to learn basic score-reading. (until this day Im not fluent in it, guess
I’ll never be, but Im not a live/studio musician so got no real use for it!)
Having to learn basic scale/chord/harmony theory helped quite a bit later on
when I, in around '86, was introduced to my first Tracker. SoundTracker v1.0.
The Mother of all trackers. after that I guess you can say I was hooked.
my tunes sucked big but I had found a way of creating something that
resembled the music I heard on radio and vinyl. Through the years Ive gone
through most of the Trackers, even helped developing one, and Ive also on
occasions tried different (read cubase-like) sequencers but they’ve all failed
to please… Im a Tracker in my heart of hearts and I will remain so until the
day I die or when Trackers are no more… and I guess that applies to all of us
that started out in the early days… The freedom, clarity, creative process,
tightness (and all other nice applicable words) a Tracker provides, once you’ve
learned the basic structure of it is unsurpassed in my view… and now with
Renoise it will only grow stronger and better…

shiit! what a rant! :D couldn’t help myself… could go on 4ever I guess… :P

cya