Windows: Kontakt VST + Write protected VST folders

Hi everyone

1. I am trying to use Kontakt and Reaktor with Renoise. I have .dll files. When I search for it, Renoise doesn’t find those files. It finds all the folders leading up to where I have placed the .dll file, but when I get to the specific folder, it has nothing in it on Renoise.

2. I went into preferences to change where Renoise browses for VSTs/plugins. I get this error now when I start up:

"The plugin folder ‘C:\Users\extra\Desktop’ is write protected.

To avoid compatibility problems with many old plugins, make sure that your current user and thus also Renoise has write access to the plugin folder and all its sub folders.

To do so, verify the security settings of the folder and give yourself the permission to write files and modify folders, or use a folder outside of the ‘Program Files’ system folder for plugins. Then rescan for plugins in Renoise please."

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Renoise can’t write to the Desktop unless you give it permissions to do so. You can muck about with permissions but it is easier to set up your VST folder somewhere that isn’t write-protected.

Try installing your VSTs to a folder like C:\VST\ or C:\Users\extra\VST\

Renoise can’t write to the Desktop unless you give it permissions to do so. You can muck about with permissions but it is easier to set up your VST folder somewhere that isn’t write-protected.

Try installing your VSTs to a folder like C:\VST\ or C:\Users\extra\VST\

Thanks Ihaastdaiz

I tried to copy my Native Instruments VST folders (there are two: Vst32 and Vst64) into my documents. That didn’t work. I also tried what you recommended.

Interestingly, the VSTs for Reaktor show up. I still need to see the ones for Massive and Kontakt.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

I’m not familiar with Massive or Kontakt, so I’m afraid I won’t be of much help.

Perhaps you need to reinstall them? I guess there could be registry settings, or something similar, that are not configured properly, or are pointing to the wrong location.

I’m not familiar with Massive or Kontakt, so I’m afraid I won’t be of much help.

Perhaps you need to reinstall them? I guess there could be registry settings, or something similar, that are not configured properly, or are pointing to the wrong location.

I can try that. Thanks!

It does seem that the “invisible VST” issue is a common one. I have tried to go through all the forums and follow all the troubleshooting advice, but none of it is working. Hopefully I’ll find a solution soon! I contacted support so that might help.

Hey all –

I fixed this issue. I uninstalled and then reinstalled my VSTs to a new VST folder (C:/VST).

Thanks for your help!