"WIP" (they annoy me)

When I see someone post a work in progress, who is looking for feedback it kinda gets under my skin. I feel like only listening to half the song, and giving them half a response.

I’m probably guilty of this in some way. Especially in the rare moment when I start to feel proud of myself during the song’s creation. I still can’t help prejudging whoever posts a half done song.

With so much amazing music to listen to in the world why should waste my time on something you couldn’t even finish. On the other hand…There is way too much garbage we’re forced to listen to at places like our job, or grocery shopping, or getting a haircut. I personally listen to way too much shitty music on a quest to find the next artist who’ll make my heart pump(like drugs, I’ve built tolerance over the years).

Please don’t ask for me to take the time to listen your ‘song’ with an open-mind, then afterwards reply with praise orcriticism to something you haven’t finished. It’s not fair to either of us.

I’m probably being a hypocrite, I know I’m guilty… The only excuse I have is when I need some advice, beginning to feel defeated or STRAIGHT KILLING IT!!!

What’s your take on the subject? Also, can you recall a single WIP that had any value in your life? How about sharing a WIP horror story? I’ve met a few musicians I probably should have told to quit while they were ahead and a couple more I should have told to cut their losses.

Well, it depends on the forum and the stage your song is at. I would have no problem posting a WIP here, if it was a fully arranged song and I asked for guideance regarding the mixing and asked listeners to criticize the hell out of it. Or if I was stuck some way and wanted to ask for advice.

Snippets I’d only show to close friends, if at all, if there were anything novel or fun with it.

I think these are good restrictions to set for yourself.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with WIP’s, they’re just something you do when you’re new and you’re too afraid to commit something to a final version. Everyone’s new at some point, eventually you build confidence and start committing. I don’t think think it shows a lack of effort, just a lack of confidence.

It’s about helping each other out.

It’s about helping each other out.

That’s my thought too. I have no problem with people asking for help, if you don’t want to help that’s ok too, but the more we help each other out the better the music will get.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with WIP’s, they’re just something you do when you’re new and you’re too afraid to commit something to a final version. Everyone’s new at some point, eventually you build confidence and start committing. I don’t think think it shows a lack of effort, just a lack of confidence.

Not only just new… I think more seasoned musicians does this as well. Like “Listen to this riff/phrase I made, what do you think? Can I use it or no?”

If one has the experience and insight to be able to know when someone should “quit while they were ahead” or “cut their losses” then one certainly has the experience and insight to help that same someone get better.

A lot of people have helped me in ways I cannot repay directly.

This culture of helping is important to me, so I try as best I can to chip in and help others.

I agree with all of you. I’ve just been in a hater mood recently. There is way too much mediocre music I gotta sift through these days to find a gem. It’s hard to adjust to how fast music is changing and the attitude people bring to it. I’m starting to resent just how easy it is for us to publish and create music.

I just wish more people would put their all into something before sharing it with the world. I hate lazy musicians looking for attention. I’m guilty of being lazy too, but I try to keep my lazy tracks to myself.

I’ve always tried to be helpful when replying to a WIP, but lately I’ve been avoiding amateur musicians.

I ask myself “Would I listen to this?” before making it available. I wonder how much better of a musician I’d be if I had a Whiplash’s J.K. Simmons pushing me. My piano teacher was hard on me and I still miss her.

All your responses have me thinking it’s time to adjust my attitude. I’ll probably go threw the Renoise Song Forum sometime soon and lend you guys my ears. I’ll probably be a bit more harsh than usual, but a lot more helpful too.

Thanks for letting me blow off steam and putting me back on track.

Well, crap music is crap music. No getting around that. We can either chose not to listen to it or help out. However, what’s crap music to you may be good music to someone else. :walkman:

Well, crap music is crap music. No getting around that. We can either chose not to listen to it or help out. However, what’s crap music to you may be good music to someone else. :walkman:

I’m sure most people wouldn’t even consider what I make “Music”, but nobody can say I don’t work hard on it. It seems like some guys on soundcloud spend more time promoting their music, then they do working on the music. If listening to the track takes almost as long as making the track it’s not gonna impress me.

Unless you’re this guy:

Although this is more of a demonstration

Not really a fan so much, though i don’t really mind others doing it. Their call.

I personally won’t publicize a work in progress. I feel there is something in just committing to finalizing a track. Could it be better with consultation? Quite possibly. But it is %100 yours, flaws and all. The more you complete, the more you progress.

A mentor can be quite helpful, though I don’t think it needs to be made public.

Also i think it can also misrepresent the artist and occasionally turn off or give the wrong impression to potential audience.

Getting engaged in those kind of discussions with a group of people can lead to a lot of insight about things you can do with your own projects that’ll improve them. I’ve learned a lot of tricks from off-hand comments by very talented mixers in those “critique my tracks” type of threads.

Indeed. It can be very beneficial.
I do however think it more advantageous to share with other artists/producers or engineers etc rather than publicly such as on soundcloud. First impressions can be very difficult to shake. I have experienced this first hand similarly sharing tracks when my production skills were still in early stages of development. Just my opinion :wink:

True. Having your mother listening to a track will most likely be returned with a “Honey, that’s a really really good song!” when another musician may have a different opinion on the matter and give you a more detailed review.

When my mother heard my music she just said she didn’t understand it.

That I was playing electric guitar with a vibrating dildo didn’t help.

When my mother heard my music she just said she didn’t understand it.

That I was playing electric guitar with a vibrating dildo didn’t help.

Is there another way to play the guitar? :badteeth:

My mother often pretends to be interested in my work and asks me where she can check out my stuff, which i’ve probably answered 50 times. Then a few months later she has still not even bothered to check my soundcloud or whatever because she hasn’t come around to it yet. Exactly what i do when i’m “very interested” in something…yeah right. <_<

Why do people lie about stuff like this? I seriously hate this kind of behaviour, do they really think this makes me feel better or is it just an egoistic way to avoid being confronted with the fact that they have no interest whatsoever?

I confronted my mom with the fact that she always says she wants to check out my stuff, but regardless of that never does. The answer was that she was definately gonna check it out this time. WTF? I don’t care whether she checks it out or not. What i have a problem with is that she’s lying about being interested in it. If you’re not interested that’s fine, but for fuck sake, stop pretending that you care when you obviously don’t.

My mother is an example to this type of behaviour, but she’s definately not alone, it seems like this is something most women do and some men too. Lying just to seem more polite.

it’s hard times, now, though. in the computer age, it isn’t a cool novelty anymore to encounter someone not from around you and you have to mentally deal with whole world full of stupid noob fucks everyday. not just bob and ann from mapelville and then darren from terrain county. omg. damn. wtf, though, right? at the block party dude is like ‘check out my new guitar, i made this riff, what ya think?’ you like ‘ok, cool?’ i guess i’m an amateur now, again. that’s cool, though. thank god? really, my point is, in arkansas and tennessee, it’s ‘through’ and not ‘threw’. strange world.

My mother often pretends to be interested in my work and asks me where she can check out my stuff, which i’ve probably answered 50 times. Then a few months later she has still not even bothered to check my soundcloud or whatever because she hasn’t come around to it yet. Exactly what i do when i’m “very interested” in something…yeah right. <_<

Why do people lie about stuff like this? I seriously hate this kind of behaviour, do they really think this makes me feel better or is it just an egoistic way to avoid being confronted with the fact that they have no interest whatsoever?

I confronted my mom with the fact that she always says she wants to check out my stuff, but regardless of that never does. The answer was that she was definately gonna check it out this time. WTF? I don’t care whether she checks it out or not. What i have a problem with is that she’s lying about being interested in it. If you’re not interested that’s fine, but for fuck sake, stop pretending that you care when you obviously don’t.

My mother is an example to this type of behaviour, but she’s definately not alone, it seems like this is something most women do and some men too. Lying just to seem more polite.

As far as your mother goes, i also experience something similar as I think many do. I think it comes from a caring place that wants to be supportive and encouraging. Unfortunately this means the truth is sometimes obscured.

From my experience, friends and family are rarely the best audience for constructive criticism. I think most will fear upsetting you and and as you said, will lie to remain polite. With this in mind, you will most likely never get an honest answer from them.

My parents really don’t have any idea what my music sounds like, i know they wouldn’t like it and to share it would be pointless.

I also sometimes share music with friends just to let them know what I am doing, not for criticism.

If i want criticism, i choose my audience and generally they are those that don’t really know me.

As far as your mother goes, i also experience something similar as I think many do. I think it comes from a caring place that wants to be supportive and encouraging. Unfortunately this means the truth is sometimes obscured.

From my experience, friends and family are rarely the best audience for constructive criticism. I think most will fear upsetting you and and as you said, will lie to remain polite. With this in mind, you will most likely never get an honest answer from them.

My parents really don’t have any idea what my music sounds like, i know they wouldn’t like it and to share it would be pointless.

I also sometimes share music with friends just to let them know what I am doing, not for criticism.

If i want criticism, i choose my audience and generally they are those that don’t really know me.

Of course it’s well meant, that’s why i used my mother as an example, she of course doesn’t say it to make me feel bad. It’s not that i get hurt by it or nothing, of course i know my music is nothing near what she’s listening to and i think that is for the best as i would take it as sign my music was super lame if my mom was digging it. :smiley:

I just find it annoying and i would much more appreciate if they say nothing or the truth instead of pretending to be interested.