Wobble Control Method (Dubstep Etc)

I haven’t tried this so it’s just an idea.

I saw a thread about someone having problem with experimenting with precise LFO values for wobble bass manipulation and this idea just ocurred to me.

If you render VSTi down to renoise instruments, you could render, for example, 4 lots of the same instrument each with different LFO value for the wobble. That way you could write your bassline notes and then experiment with different each of the 4 wobble rates just by chaning the instrument number of different notes.

Basic but simple to use, doesn’t require programming effect values in patterns or using complex effect chains (although those things are fun!!)

You can also duplicate 4 instances of the same VSTi instrument (ctrl drag in instrument list). And set their LFO’s accordingly.

Yep that’d do it too. My version came out of thinking about CPU limitations on my low-spec machine, but the principle is the same.

You could also render (for example) 4 different wobbles (like 1/4, 1/8, 1/8t and 1/16) of a VST and then map them to different velocity values in the sample keyzones editor.
But personally I like to Instr. Automation -> Parameter of VST I like to wobble -> (renoise native) LFO. This is pretty easy with the Macro controls in NI Massive.
Other way: If you just want to wobble for wobbles sake (so an easy volume-wobble instead of ultra complex LFO chains), I make the bass or midrange noise / sound
with the VST and then wobble with Gainer -> VST.

H~

wobble is the simplest effect in the world.

LFO the Filter. No need any extra thing. Wobble bass sound is based on a square/triangle waveform, then LFO - DESTORTION - FILTER - EQ - COMP/LIMITER the LFO only manimpulate the FILTER CUTOFF, u need to set to ticks in the effect bytes and reset the lfo where u want ,.

this is not a complex effect chain, but if yes here is the simplest
LFO - FILTER
the lfo set to ticks, and controll the cutoff
is it hard, NO
is it lost sync, NO
can u create lots of version of the wobble speed , YES

peace

grab a notepad, write down what percentage the MIDI CC of the filter cutoff and just use the points in the automation.

I don’t really understand what your problem is normally - you can automate any parameter right???
here’s an idea i just made for native wobb (main audible part not sub) that does not ‘lose sync’

What if I want to wobble on different notes, with different sounds? Sample them all?

The solution to this is pretty simple. Of course an LFO runs out of sync, when you do a LFO frequency sweep. It does so for you and it does the same for every pro. The only thing you have to do, when the speed sweep arrives at its target frequency, is to reset the LFO to the propper phase position. That’s what Skrillex has to do and that’s what everyone else, too.

So, if you change the LFO frequency from pattern line 00 to 32, you should reset the LFO on 00 and on 32 from within the pattern. This goes BTW for ANY LFO frequency change, also from within the Pattern. Just to make sure things always sound the same, even if you change a thing here and there. Imagine these resets like needles, used to fix a line.

Some explanation to resetting the LFO:
No matter how many points you’ve defined, if it’s just 2 or 512. The whole range of the LFO waveform is split up in 256 positions you can reset to. If you for example defined a linear ramp with 2 points and the whole LFO consists of 2 points only, then a reset to 128 (80 hex) hits exactly the middle between these two points. Important to know. If you now imagine a sine wave (for the wobble), then you have the following reset points:

00 hits axis and goes up
40 curve hits top and goes down
80 hits axis and goes down
C0 hits bottom and goes up

With knowing about these 4 reset points you can do nearly anything.

A curved ramp up: range from reset point C0 to 40 (running through the loop)
A curved ramp down: range from reset point 40 to C0
A half circle up: range from reset point 00 to 80
A half circle down: range from reset point 80 to 00

… and so on. You get the idea. All you have to do, to make the curve fit your needs, is to adjust LFO amplitude and offset, if needed. And of course the frequency.

Don’t just play with some sliders. Use your head, while you do and you will find the wonderland of the obvious things. ;)