Workflow: Renoise 3 vs 2.x

Browsing through the forum, I’ve noticed that when 3.0 came out a lot of people felt confused due to reorganized layout. How do you feel about it now, compared to the one in older versions?

If you truly knew where everything is in 2.8 you’ll learn 3.0 in a pinch, if you only had an idea of where to look at, it would take more time.

Love it. I’m a phrase junkie :yeah:

After 3.0 was released, I was still using 2.8 for next several months. However, after reinstalling Windows I decided to start using 3.0, and, well, I wasn’t dissapointed. It’s pretty, comfortable and there are a few new features.

It’s good but I still really don’t like the accordion menu in the sampler…

It’s good but I still really don’t like the accordion menu in the sampler…

The single most hated feature :frowning:

But if Redux has anything to say about the future of Renoise, accordions won’t make it into 3.1

I have 2.8 and 3.0 installed.

I think the 2-tiled Disk browser in 2.X versions of Renoise is much better, because you can navigate faster through folders and sample finding is more efficient. I usually use Renoise 2.8 to lay down ideas and loops and then switch to 3.0 in order to make the full tracks. The phrase feature has become bread and butter to me, can’t live without it.

2-tiled Disk browser in 2.X versions

You can reveal paths in the 3.x browser too, it’s just not obvious -

https://forum.renoise.com/t/search-file-box-item-disappears-bug-renoise-3-0-and-up/41021

keep in mind you’ll get more people complaining than praising it… that’s just how it goes. it doesn’t mean most people don’t like it - it means that the people who like it, are off making music :slight_smile:

re: the accordion - I like it! I just use the f-key shortcuts to switch between them and it works great.

I’m curious to see how they improve it with redux

re: the accordion - I like it! I just use the f-key shortcuts to switch between them and it works great.

I am really curious (as a web developer) what you like about the accordion that makes it better than tabs?

The accordion is hard to use with mouse as the links in the accordion goes up and down, it also takes up a lot more vertical space than a tab leaving less space for the content, and it’s inconsistent with the rest of the GUI which makes it somewhat confusing overall.

In my opinion you should only use accordion menus for stuff like FAQs.

I am almost certain that the idea about the accordion was cool before there was a unanimous call during beta to have a spectrum analyser in the instrument editor as well, so now, especially on a laptop, there’s very little space as the lower frame and piano roll can not be hidden… speaking of which… we need to fix that piano roll thing.

I am really curious (as a web developer) what you like about the accordion that makes it better than tabs?

The accordion is hard to use with mouse as the links in the accordion goes up and down, it also takes up a lot more vertical space than a tab leaving less space for the content, and it’s inconsistent with the rest of the GUI which makes it somewhat confusing overall.

I’m not sure that I like it better than tabs. I don’t even remember what the Renoise 2.x instrument editor was like, anymore.

As mentioned in my reply, I don’t use the mouse. I press a function key, and it shows me exactly what I want. Couldn’t be easier.

I’m sure the devs will be able to come up with something that makes accordion-haters happy, while keeping the generally-super-nifty instrument editing.

I like to use the keyboard as much as possible too, but hopefully they remove the accordion, anyway basically you are not proving it is worth more than 50% of the vote as your only reason is it works with keyboard, but nice for you that you dont have any problem with it.

By the way, your avatar looks like John Carmack, cool :smiley:

By the way, your avatar looks like John Carmack, cool :smiley:

Was thinking the same thing :smiley:

I like to use the keyboard as much as possible too, but hopefully they remove the accordion, anyway basically you are not proving it is worth more than 50% of the vote as your only reason is it works with keyboard, but nice for you that you dont have any problem with it.

I’m not trying to prove “it is worth more than 50% of the vote.”

I simply pointed out that:

a) I don’t have any problems with it

b) It’s mostly people who have problems who post. That’s the nature of the beast.

shrug best of luck to all of you.

well, fair enough, actually I didn’t mean you specifically meant to prove anything, it was just to illustrate that there is no benefits and only negatives as far as i see it… but RIP that shit haha

god i am drunk today… cheers!

hallelujah :stuck_out_tongue:

The single most hated feature :frowning:

But if Redux has anything to say about the future of Renoise, accordions won’t make it into 3.1

^Yes!!

…and piano roll can not be hidden… speaking of which… we need to fix that piano roll thing.

And it’s immume to color changes, which makes it almost too bright with dark themes.

Hey there folks,

I’m gonna play the Internet Miner and dig up an old thread (okay, it’s not that old).

As a long time user I had a set of strong habits related to the UI, so any major change is a big thing for me. I must admit that when 3.0 was released I was really annoyed by the interface changes simply because I had trouble finding stuff I could use with eyes closed earlier. But it is getting better, there are some things I really like. For example, new instrument tab is awesome. I remember that in 2.6 or 2.5 old instrument window disappeared and we were given a very small instrument bar at the bottom. I hated that. So I see this change as a good move. And new features that come with that! Effects tied to instrument, how I missed that the entire time! Great move.

But there are also some things I miss too. It was mentioned earlier - a two tab disk browser. I liked it more. But the new one is not half bad. What I really dislike though is that the switch between DSP and Automation on the bottom panel is hidden now. I know it’s just my old habit but I keep looking for the old switches.

Anyway, it’s okay. I just hope guys at dev team are happy with new design and won’t do any major changes just after I get used to new layout.

I sometimes use 3, but I just feel like my work space is all squished and i can only see 2 or 3 tracks effectively. my laptop screen is only 15.4". and so i end up using 2.8 because it fits nicely on my screen and i can see most of my work. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal because i can close the browser tab thing to the side to have a clear view of the tracks. I want to learn 3 but i don’t work as good in it, so i’ll continue to use 2.8 until i get a new laptop or desktop with a bigger screen/higher resolution