Wrong sound beginning of a rendered wav file.

If I listen to a song before I render it to disk, then there is a loud sound in the first few seconds of the rendered wav file. It sounds like all tracks play loud sustained sounds followed by a panic button (off off off etc).

It would be great if the renderer started by resetting all sound of each track before the actual rendering, because it sounds like the renderer needs a panik button and a delay in order for any longtailed reverbs to roll off.

The best way I know of to get rid of this sound from my rendered wav file is to restart Renoise, and then go straight to the Renderer, without playing music and export.

Best regards

Max

Can you post a simple example XRNS song which always clearly demonstrates this problem when rendering?

Then we can try to test it.

Hey dblue, also experienced this (was reported before). I think you missing to clean some buffer after playback or before playback start. If I play a song to the end/render and then play/render again, usually some audio of the end of the song is audible, even if the end has a proper fadeout section.

The second thing I experienced (maybe related to this) is the following: If I use a plugin the introduces lot of PDC, and then switch it off or change parameters/options in the plugin in a way that the PDC changes (don’t remember exactly, was the second scenario I believe), I also can sometimes hear some buffer from before that wasn’t played.

Greetz

This is no new behaviour, some VST seems like they’re just paused when pushing the panic button and when you play again, the release of the VST continues.
I wonder how you can have missed this dblue? For me it’s a routine thing to ‘empty’ the sound engine before rendering (though i keep forgetting to do it). I do this by playing an empty pattern untill it goes silent, then go render the track. I always wondered what the point with this was, but it hasn’t really bothered me that much. I can’t remember when this behaviour started, but it has been there for quite a while.

The second thing I experienced (maybe related to this) is the following: If I use a plugin the introduces lot of PDC, and then switch it off or change parameters/options in the plugin in a way that the PDC changes (don’t remember exactly, was the second scenario I believe), I also can sometimes hear some buffer from before that wasn’t played.

Greetz

PDC = ?
Pacific Disaster Center
Precision Dynamics Corporation
Professional Darts Corporation
Pyridinium dichromate
Professional Developers Conference
Personal decompression computer
Personal Digital Cellular
Programme Delivery Control
Peripheral DMA controller
Parking Distance Control
Plasmacytoid dendritic cell
Pyroclastic density current
Pulsed DC

So wtf are you talking about? :stuck_out_tongue:

Plugin Delay Compensation. Some VST/AU plugins will/can change their required processing delay (short PDC) on-the-fly, according to their settings. One example: Izotope final mix (btw. which eq sounds awesome, but the plugin completely sucks because it introduces a HUGE processing delay like 100ms or so…). I think I just disabled/enabled the whole plugin in the device chain (don’t remember exactly), then I can hear some buffer from the past sometimes.

Taktik,

and this one?

Should I make step-by-step?

Should I make step-by-step?

Yes, please - if you can. All very vague here - sometimes, maybe,PDC, plugins.

Hm, I cannot reproduce it anymore… Seems that final mix isotope demo has changed somehow…

I think you could hear the last buffer content from the plugin on new play/render… i think there was a delay vst with this problem, too. It was often some kind of piece of delay tail which was audible… But I guess it’s not renoise’s cup of tea then?

I can hear that “prob” now only if I start playing live again. I do the following steps:

1. install finalmix demo (or any plugin introducing pdc (not sure if pdc is important though))

2. rendering this pattern offline:Attachment 5921 not found.

3. then on next play i can hear some kind of crackle at the beginning of play, i guess the rest of the audio buffer inside final mix… Exactly this kind of crackle / last buffer content was audible in the renderings…

Maybe this could be prevented if on rendering start for the length of the pdc buffer all tracks would be flooded with 0 first? Or at the end of the rendering?

Maybe this could be prevented if on rendering start for the length of the pdc buffer all tracks would be flooded with 0 first? Or at the end of the rendering?

We’re already doing this, but can only do this for internal buffers. That’s why I wonder how this could happen.

For VST we can only request fushing their buffers. Some plugins may not have implemented that.

If anyone can replicate this with some specific VST or even without one, let me know please and I’ll have a look at this again.

I dont know if this has been solved in renoise 3.1 but this post is marked with [???]

In order to clear the buffers of vst instruments and vst fx during rendering in renoise, then why not add a 10sec empty sound to all vst instruments and vst fx before the renderer starts the actual rendering? I personally add an empty pattern before my songs start, where I send note-on´s and note-off´s to all tracks at zero volume.

When rendering a piece of music, then the sound of some tracks starts very loud. This happens only when sending the very first note-on to some vst instruments, so it can happen in the middle of a song too. You cannot hear this when listening in renoise. I have solved this with the following trick. Before the the first note-on that gives problem : Add an empty track part to the song position above the song position with the troublesome sound. Add a note-on to this empty track part and a little space and a note-off, with a velocity above zero and with a volume at zero, Make sure that the note-off is not too close to the note-on and make sure that there is enough space below the note-off in order to completely clear the sound from audiobuffer (even though the sound is not audible it WILL be when you afterward turn up the volume). Then turn up the volume to 0db (or where ever you want it) at the time when the vst instrument should be audible. I dont know if it is fixed in renoise 3.1, but yesterday it was there in renoise 3.0.1. (added : It only happens when listening the the rendered audiofiles, but it sounds 100% correct when listening to the audio in renoise while tracking.

That is the way I clear the buffer of those of my vst instruments that keeps old audio in the audiobuffer until I press play in renoise again.

However when I render I still close renoise and reopen and go directly to the renderer, because I dont want to add a 10sec pattern before the music actually starts, which I have to cut off in an audioeditor afterwards. The high sound and sometimes wrong sound on the very first note-on of some vst instruments can still happend even though there has not been played any sound (as in : the audiobuffer is truely empty). Perhaps that is a different issue.

The next time any of these two issues happen I promise that I will post more details with a renoise file and info about the vst instrument(s) involved, so you can recreate the problem.

Best regards

Max