WTF: Font size with 2560x1440 and 4K ... Eye cancer

Oh. I thought this forum was about Renoise. AFAIK, there is absolutely no difference between the Renoise font rendering in Windows vs macos. At least apart from the splash screen.

Nothing to report about Renoise, so I changed the topic. Yes, looks exactly same. I wonder for the future, if it would be suitable ā€œsimplyā€ to make all elements in a 3x sized bitmap, instead vectorize everything? Never built a app GUI, so I have no clue.

ā€¦ Windows 10 seems to scale Renoise perfectly at 200% - meaning you can run double pixels at 4k to get very similar result as normal 1920x1080 ā€¦

If it looks approximately as in 1920x1080, then you do not gain space, you only get not to go blind. To get out of step with version 3.1 is fine, but not to take advantage of a 4K monitor or higher. It is assumed that if you have a 4K monitor, you want to gain space, more area in each panel, at the same time that you have a pleasant and clear, not forced reading.I would not buy a 4K monitor to see Renoise at 200%, compared to a HD (1920x1080). What I want to say is that for me they are two things, not one: having good reading and at the same time gaining space.

With 200% you have a happy reading, but you do not gain space.Itā€™s just a comment.

Raul,

Captain obvious :wink: Just out of curiousity. Are you expecting a high dpi compatible version of Renoise to scale only certain elements, but not others? Otherwise your concern of real estate makes no sense to me.

Raul,

Captain obvious :wink: Just out of curiousity. Are you expecting a high dpi compatible version of Renoise to scale only certain elements, but not others? Otherwise your concern of real estate makes no sense to me.

Iā€™m saying that you could control the overall scaling of the entire program, and at the same time have the ability to modify some elements that containing fonts, for a more personalized setting.So, you can configure panels with smaller scale with the general scale preference (more work area)and larger fonts with larger scale with elements scale preferences (less work area)ā€¦

What do you mean, with ā€œCaptain obviousā€?

I donā€™t really understand the problem you are talking aboutā€¦

I use 25" 2560x1440

It worksā€¦but any smaller finer dpi and renoise would become really hard to use. I remember when I got the screen as upgrade from a low res one I was already using renoise, and it took some time for me to adapt to everything being smaller than I was used to.

OK a linear DAW needs HDPI, big orchestral arrangements, huge layered rock mixes whatever, wtf are you guys doing that warrants a huge high resolution monitor for Renoise, get your big monitor, keep your old one, run Renoise at 1920x1080 because there is zero point having more real estate, and use your big monitor for whatever you really bought it for.

Shit, even multi monitors makes more sense with Renoises UI than one big HDPI monitor.

FFS its just a tracker, people were making full tunes in trackers when they had 4 note poly and a resolution of 320x240 or something hahahaha

Itā€™s just a tracker, donā€™t you get it hahaha

Listen to Bungle. Just keep a backwards compatible 1080p monitor on your desk for the sole purpose of running Renoise on it. Itā€™s just a tracker.

ā€¦

Nothing to report about Renoise, so I changed the topic. Yes, looks exactly same. I wonder for the future, if it would be suitable ā€œsimplyā€ to make all elements in a 3x sized bitmap, instead vectorize everything? Never built a app GUI, so I have no clue.

I am guessing that the dev process works something like this:

1. Make the app DPI aware under all operating systems - with respective scaling algorithms per default for all elements.
  2. Vectorize element by element, starting with font rendering (same thing cakewalk has done) and then moving onto viewbuilder objects, other specific objects, grid/background/areas gfx and other specific renderings.
  3. Done :stuck_out_tongue:

Most probably, the image rendering engine should support both vector (SVG?) and bitmaps of any resolution. SVG seems much more space efficient, and should have a better potential for eventual subpixel rendering.

Serious first world problemsā€¦ Not. Well, HighDPI gui already was confirmed, the question is when! :badteeth: I guess, all people who already using 4k will want to have support for it, because normal full hd really looks like eye cancer in comparison then.

If I had known that two years after I bought a 1440p display we still wouldnā€™t have high-dpi support in Renoise, I would have bought another 1080p monitor instead or gone right for 4k (but for gaming I figured a single 980ti wouldnā€™t really be idea for a 4k display and I couldnā€™t spend even more). :slight_smile: 27"/1440p really does not work well with Renoise at all, at least for me. I installed it on a 1080p laptop that I really donā€™t use much anymore (and that I would like to drop Linux on), but my interface and studio monitors are connected to the desktop, so it feels sub-optimal.

If Taktik waits a few more years, I suspect the problem will go away as most people will have 4k or better by then and can just use 200% without huge quality loss. :wink: Seriously, though, Iā€™m happy that work on high-dpi support had started already and that it will come at a future point in time.

I have this big fat juicy lumb on my eyeball .

[ā€¦]
Taktik has indeed made some progress moving towards true support for high DPI displays. Itā€™s an ongoing process that still requires a lot of work and testing, but it will eventually become a reality. You guys will just have to be patient until then.

How patient?

How patient?

VERY! ;D

the benefits of a hdpi version vs a 2x scaled version (accomplished by setting monitor resolution to 1920x1080):

• more space for pattern editor and pattern sequencer

I was trying to justify that the fixed dpi version of renoise is perfect but it sure would be better overview-wise to have a scalable ui :[

P.S.: Pattern editor is already scalable (itā€™s whatā€™s in the settings). So itā€™s only everything apart that needs to be made scalable :smashed:

ā€¦

P.S.: Pattern editor is already scalable (itā€™s whatā€™s in the settings). So itā€™s only everything apart that needs to be made scalable :smashed:

To be exact, the pattern editor is not entirely scalable, only the text font is scalable, you can even change the font type. Unfortunately, the complexity lies in all the graphically visible objects, such as icons, buttons, areas that limit spaces, etc.

Itā€™s a pretty big issue.

The interesting thing is to be able to use large screens in 4K or more, being able to easily read the content without going blind, and at the same time gain substantially a work surface.I have always thought that the main limitation for Renoise is the vertical space.If the design is maintained, the matrix editor will benefit most.

So is this NORMAL GUY an angry guy or what, hahahaha

So is this NORMAL GUY an angry guy or what, hahahaha

Stick around, youā€™ll find angry people hereā€¦or one person impersonating multiple angry people. Either way poor.