X-fi Will Change The Face Of Computer Music...

Splajm - see the Emu range of soundcards - the onboard DSP effects are controllable as VST effects.
The X-Fi will be the same only MUCH more powerful (i.e. more effects than anybody will need, probably, all produced by the X-Fi chip).
EAX won’t require more CPU time with X-Fi, it will require less. The X-Fi chip is 24 times more powerful than the EMU10K1. That’s pretty powerful!

I can’t understand why people are knocking this so much - what other company is producing an AFFORDABLE DSP based series of cards?

BionicFX was a very interesting idea, but it’s not here, and I wonder if it would prove to be more powerful than the X-Fi chip anyway?
In a few months’ time we may have a successor to the 0404 using the X-Fi chip, with the 0404’s great sound quality (for those that care, I don’t), and for the same price. That’s got to be good!

Thanks for that link, Wen, very interesting. I wonder if you aren’t using sample rate conversion, if the 70.7% of power will be available for other tasks? (I’m sure a lot of people won’t need to convert sample rates, will they?)

See my previous reply - the Emu cards allow you to access their onboard effects via VST.

xg2004:
Are you working for Creative?

well, if it’s good it’s good… we’ll eventually see that.
until that day it’s just pure marketing… I thought my old Audigy was good
for too long. Im now M-powered- Still not totally satisfied but compared to
the Audigy it’s worlds apart. and… the rest of the companies won’t stop
developing/producing their systems so X-Fi will prolly just be one horse among
the others…

cya

Of course not! I just think the X-Fi chip is a very impressive piece of silicon, and that it’s going to really give a boost to the PC audio market.

Well, if M-Audio are anything to go by, the other companies already have stopped developing their systems. (The Emu 0404’s better…)
What other company produces a card under £100 that has hardware accelerated effects, or anything like the power of the X-Fi?

As I said before - you’ll see. Just watch this space. X-Fi isn’t limited only to Creative cards, Emu will no doubt be using it, and many other companies (even motherboards!). It’s going to be the chip of choice for audio users.

I wonder what so special about the db range. I guess it has been measured as usual:

D 2 A 110 dB

A 2 D it will be something like 100 dB

That means in no way better than my 6 year old pulsar.