Y-command on track level?

lol got it now.

If I put every note at a 30ms delay it plays the track correctly but ofcourse you can’t do a delay command with a VST-instrument … sooo on every track with a VST playing I put the track’s delay at 30ms and it plays perfectly in synch with the on-and-off track. Cool.

The only kinda tedious thing you gotta do is put a 30ms delay on every sample note playing.

Yeah, obviously, abrupt automation changes need to have a tiny window to do some crossfading (to avoid zipper noises).

But the signal follower look-ahead affect transients too. Here’s a screenshot showing the difference between two possible settings:

signal_follower_lookahead.png?raw=1

The image is grabbed from the output of this example xrnx (again, based on the one supplied by OopsIFly, but stripped-down to the essentials)

A little known curiosity/oversight/bug/quirk that we can exploit quite nicely for this purpose…

The old Reverb device has no smoothing applied to its Dry Mix parameter, meaning that any volume changes you do there will be instantaneous.

So we can use a completely dry Reverb in place of a Gainer, and then automate its Dry Mix parameter to get instant volume changes that do not soften the transient attack of the sound due to the usual smoothing/ramping.

The obvious downside is that it may result in a noticeable click in some cases, but this may not be an issue depending on your song’s content.

So… Building on some of the ideas already shared earlier in this thread, here’s my own little take on it:

7865 dblue-2018-01-03-maybe-track-trigger.xrns

Uses a silent dummy ‘trigger’ instrument to program the maYbe notes into the pattern.

A key tracker follows the trigger notes, converting the note range C-4 to D#4 into 0% to 100%.

That drives the input of a Hydra which then controls the Reset parameter of four separate custom LFOs.

Each custom LFO is set up to either mute or un-mute one of the four tracks by controlling the Reverb Dry Mix parameter on that particular track.

No signal followers needed, no weird delays to compensate for, etc. Just good clean meta signals and a little bit of a device exploit :slight_smile:

As long as it works, it’s all good. :slight_smile:

It great to see it works at all.