Yamaha Ry 30

Anyone familiar with the yamaha ry 30 ??
Been planning on buying one for cheap .

Hey Gentleclockdivider. Yeah, I used to have one. Its pretty much a synth that happens to be a drum machine. What would you like to know?

a synth? doesn’t it use PCM sounds out of a little ROM containing 96 samples?

What does it matter if it does? Never heard of Sample & Synthesis (S&S) synths? The Renoise Synth Experiments are using sampled, single-cycle waveforms are they not?

Although I believe the R stands for Rhythm and this is actually a drum machine… Actually seems it’s a bit of both.

Wel , I can buy one for 100 euro , including 2 cards .
Since my laptop died ( a month ago ) I’m taking the stricktly hardware route for a while , Is it possible to send midi cc’s per step via midi out , a bit like the machinedrum parameter locks , but midi .
How deep does the synthesis go , I know it is sample based so apart from the standard pitch , filtyer envellope …;is there anything else …like ring mod or something ?
Considering the machine is almost 20 years old how do the filters sound ?
I know the engine is ’ awm2 ’ , I have an a 4000 sampler , also with an awm2 soundchip , and really like its filters ,its hard to imagine they use the same algorhitms for 20 years , donno

kazakore, refering to the industry’s way of name scheming, you’re certainly right.
then every sound-generating device that is not producing its sound acoustically is actually a synth.

to my (personal) understanding, there are samplers, romplers and there are synths. samplers and romplers may have synth-alike features, but afterall they are just sample record and/or playback machines and don’t really deserve the name “synthesizer”.

My old Yamaha CS1X for example uses the mentioned “Sample & Synthesis” technology, but no matter how the marketing dept. of yamaha calls it (they even named it a “performance synthesizer”), it’s just a rompler with synth-a-like features - and so is the RY 30.

Just because you give a machine the ability to loop samples, apply filters, LFOs and envelopes it does not become a synthesizer, which usually produces sound by generating electric signals in variable frequencies.

so that makes every “amiga chiptune” a song made by a synthesizer, just because you looped a very small potion of a sample?
doesn’t make too much sense.

No, but by your above description it should be called the “Renoise Rompler Experiment” which I personally disagree with.

Some would quite possibly argue that anything subtractive synthesis isn’t really synthesis as you are starting with a complex sound and taking away from it, no matter if this sound is generated by analogue electronics or digital samples. Building up a sample from its constituent sine waves (additive synthesis) is then argued as the only form of building a sound out of synthesis methods.

All just semantics at the end of the day…

Wrong, Renoise obviously isn’t a ROMpler but a Sampler. Hence it should’ve been called “Renoise Sampler Experiment”.

Subtractive or addidive… both synthesises rely on VCOs whose frequencies are generated by their corresponding amount of voltage, be it analogue or emulated by virtually analogue equipment. so both methods totally qualify to be called a “synthesis”, because neither of them rely on recorded (sampled) sonic events originating from the “real world” or a “real synthesizer”.

Renoise is already a sampler, as you say, so that’s not much of an experiment. The experiment is treating it in a matter similar to what you term a Rompler.

“In general, the noun synthesis (from the ancient Greek σύνθεσις, σύν “with” and θέσις “placing”) refers to a combination of two or more entities that together form something new.

That may be what people mean in audio with synthesis but it is not technically synthesising anything (going on actual meaning of the word.) Therefore I consider S&S to be synthesis just as much as Subtractive Synthesis is, as with Romplers/sampled waveforms you can often add together/layer, like you can with a multi oscillator subtractive system. (Admitedly not always the case but you also get single oscillator “synthesisers.”)

Wavetable Synthesis is very much more synthesis than either (by the above description) and it also generally works on very smalls ROMs of sampled waveforms! Using small samples does not stop something from being a synthesis method!