••xenobaba•• LIVE @ SACRED EARTH 2023

Hey all,
I’ll be playing a two-hour live set using renoise at SACRED EARTH, a psychedelic music festival in the US midwest in September. If anyone is in the area and is interested, the event details can be found here: https://www.chilluminati.events/event/sacred-earth-open-air-2022/

Should be good times! :melting_face: :metal:

9 Likes

How do you use renoise for this? I’ve been tinkering with my own live setup with renoise but haven’t gotten anything settled yet.

usually I use two instances of renoise, and bounce back and forth between them, mixing on the fly using space bar sync :upside_down_face:

I also set up a variety of control doofers mapped to a midi control surface to have control over various aspects of the sound and performance on a per track basis

this time around, I may do some things a bit differently, however. I believe I will render out rhythm/percussion bus and synth bus separately for each song (for control and live fx purposes) and sequence all of the songs together into a set within one instance of renoise. Should be a little more idiot proof that way. I may be playing in the middle of the night, so, looking to make things easier for myself, if possible

1 Like

Will it be streamed or otherwise recorded? Would be keen to watch it.

1 Like

Dunno!

But will post a link here if there is streaming, or after the fact if a recording is made available :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Off to the festival today! Wish me luck… Renoise represent! :metal:

9 Likes

Have fun!

IMG_20220904_110014945_HDR
IMG_20220904_020122018
IMG_20220903_174132566_HDR
IMG_20220903_074358840_HDR
IMG_20220902_221606644
IMG_20220902_203250269

Some pictures of the venue from the weekend. Good times!!!

I played 2nd stage and my set was well-received, despite the subwoofer’s generator dying on me. A producer who’s opinion I respect said my set was their favorite of the whole event, so that was really nice to hear. Also got some comments on how clean and crisp my production sounded, and for that, I thank renoise!

My personal highlights were the producer’s social hour hang and production chat, Xompax’s live set (check him out), Aes Dana’s set, Spycht’s set, all the new friends made, and the fuckin bomb-ass taco truck. Shout out to ragin’ Rach and her alien baby, Steve :alien:

Hoping to play this fest again next year, hopefully main stage :crossed_fingers:

Probably 300 people in attendance, but the venue was big & spread out

7 Likes

That looks great! Congratulations on things going well.

I’m inclined to call bullshit on that. Think it’s more your taste & talent for sound design rather than Renoise. Sure, Renoise may make it easy for you to do your thing. But I think that if you wanted to you could squeeze a similar clean and crisp sound out of any modern DAW. So no, as far as I’m concerned you don’t get to hide behind Renoise on this, and it is all because of you and your efforts. :metal:

1 Like

Hey, thanks man! I really appreciate that. But… A lot of people in the psy scene are using Ableton, vsts, and modular gear for synthesis, and it’s easy for things to get smeary and bleed together. Renoise, being sample-based, keeps the timing really tight and crisp, which makes a big difference at high BPMs. I suppose I can take some credit for the mixing, but renoise is a beast for fast music. Seems like a lot of breakcore producers favor it for that reason. Back when I was using reason for production, my tunes always sounded muffled and smeared, but working with samples just gives so much more control over the final sound, and everything sounds punchy and crisp :slight_smile: … Even at 200 bpm!

3 Likes

Playing a 3 hour set tonight at sacred Earth again live with renoise! Wish me luck! :v::alien::sparkles:

6 Likes

3 hours!? That’s not a short amount of time. Good luck MrZensphere! Help those dancing people reach different places.

And if a recording of a part of it exists afterwards, please post. Love to get an impression of the party.

2 Likes

good luck and hopefully you can share some footage?

2 Likes

hey all, thanks for the love. show went great, although the event could have used some more people and 3 hours is a long ass set! midwest psy parties tend to be kinda spread out with two stages in a big outdoor venue, but there were a decent number of attendees. Got some good positive feedback on my set and sound (thanks renoise!) and made some good connections with other producers. good times, and left with plenty of inspiration for new music. I’ll try to post a few pics at least, and maybe some video :v::alien:

2 Likes

Really pleased it went well for you mate, spreading the good word of PsyNoise!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I had a few people who saw my setup and were like, what the hell is that! Someone also thought my skins were pretty, lol. Definitely talked up renoise with a couple other producers as well

3 Likes

Happy to hear that went great! Looking forward to the pics and video. :alien:

I’m curious how you filled those 3 hours. Did you use all pre-programmed material (with your trademark randomization to keep things from growing stale)? Or are you remixing/recreating your stuff on the fly? Or how does that go for you?

1 Like

mostly I’m just bouncing back and forth between two instances of renoise, going through a set list of already complete tracks. I will usually map repeaters to my synth bus so I can do some live glitching and rhythmic variation, map HP and LP filters to my rhythm section bus for cuts and transitions, and maybe map a washout doofer to my master track for ambience/transition. there’s a ton more that could be done when playing directly from the daw, but I usually like to keep my live setups fairly simple since the music is already usually pretty dense

1 Like

here are a few pics from the event
woods stage approach

main stage from hammock

woods stage (this is where I performed)

woods stage up close (skuzzo performing - super nice dude)

smoke sign on mainstage close up

my phone camera is basically a potato, but this will give a bit of an idea of the scene. I’ll try to post some video too. Both sound systems sounded excellent, main stage being quite a bit bigger, but the woods stage was plenty loud. It’s always a treat to hear your music being blasted at volume and people enjoying it. Had a bunch of people come up during and after the set to share their appreciation, which is always nice :slight_smile:

electronic music production can be a fairly insular activity, so it’s always gratifying being able to actually share it with a community and witness how the music affects people. I always feel like I learn a lot when I perform out

4 Likes

Looks awesome mate, reminds me of some of the back rooms at raves over here in the UK 20 years ago. Cyber goths and hippies caning pills and dancing to hardcore. Id love to hear your stuff on a rig, bet those squelchy low basses physically move your organs.

2 Likes