Mutant Breaks #9

EDITS:

• 2016-12-12 08:34 AM EST : Deadline reached. I will spend day working on vote pack and post a link as soon as possible.
  • 2016-12-12 12:19 PM EST: Grace period, please help me sanity check.
  • 2016-12-12 02:47 PM EST: Grace period over. Uploading vote pack.
  • 2016-12-12 03:02 PM EST: Votepack.
  • 2016-12-18 08:25 AM EST: Vote results.
  • 2016-12-22 08:09 PM EST: Results.

-=-=-

Renoise’s most unorganized music competition since 2008 presents:

Mutant Breaks #9

Theme: Unfurnished Apartment

Deadline:

Sunday, December 11th, 2016.

Genres:

Breakbeats / Breakcore / Jungle / Drum & Bass / Dubstep / Electronic / Experimental / Noise

Prizes:

• Winner: $100 (CAN, via PayPal)
  • Runner up: $20 (CAN, via PayPal)
  • Most Improved: $5 (CAN, via PayPal)
  • Renoise Stickers (via danoise)

Rules:

No rules!

A bunch of rules.

One entry per contestant.

Participants must post their track in this thread. No private emails. Use Soundcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or whatever works for you. Important! Track must be downloadable!

After December 11th, participants reply in this thread with votes for their favourite 3 tracks. No private votes. No voting for yourself. Participants have 5 days to vote for their top 3. Participants who don’t vote in this thread before December 17th are disqualified.

Bonus votes:

• If a participant shares an XRNS, then the votes they received from other participants are _ multiplied x3 _.
  • If a participant writes a mini-review for their top 3, then they get _ 1 bonus vote _.
  • If a participant writes a mini-review for every track in the compo, then they get _ 3 bonus votes _.

The top ~8 tracks (give or take) will be subject to some elaborate voting ceremony posted on YouTube as a video a few days later. Winners chosen at random from the top ~8.

Don’t know what Mutant Breaks is? Don’t understand the rules? Well then, too bad! Nah, just kidding. Maybe. Check the links from the last 8 years (!) for some ideas:

http://www.trotch.com/mbc/

Cool! Before we start on something, just to be sure, no samplepack provided to work from? Xrns size / song length can be anything? Bonuspoints for keeping it 100% native? :slight_smile:

Nice choice for a theme. I just moved to a new furnished apartment.

I understand the business and logistics viewpoint of furnished apartments, but creatively, I think empty is the way to go.

More induction than deduction or in musical terms, additive synthesis vs. subtractive synthesis.

I’d much rather sleep in an empty room, heck, maybe turn in into a pinhole room (google images link)

Although I’m a little wary sleeping on wooden floors, due to breathing in unknown types of vanishings.

Zang. Might even get something together for this one.

Cool! Before we start on something, just to be sure, no samplepack provided to work from? Xrns size / song length can be anything? Bonuspoints for keeping it 100% native? :slight_smile:

Ok, we can multiply x1!

Sorry, the rules have been set. It’s a return to the smorgasbord of chaos system…

If entrants can upload the songs to their Soundcloud and then post them in this thread, I’ll create an official playlist on the deadline. The song order will be picked randomly.

Just … awesome!!

EDIT: btw: i really like “life restarts at 40” on your website!!

The paradox is that i try to fil this room with mutants, but then it’s not empty anymore. What to do? How do i solve this…think! Now i got it! I’ll use inaudible sounds.

The paradox is that i try to fil this room with mutants, but then it’s not empty anymore. What to do? How do i solve this…think! Now i got it! I’ll use inaudible sounds.

TIL Mutants = Furnishings

tumblr_nem9vdQJZP1t298peo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nem9vdQJZP1t298peo1_500.jpg

Make that a cellular with some extra payphone.

I’m in baby!

Why not upload to Youtube instead?!

Soundcloud has an upload limit which prevents users from adding new tracks to keep the old tracks.

Eventually will have to delete the track from soundcloud…

We can’t download the track from YouTube so you would have to duplicate somewhere else to be eligible for MBC? Use what you want though. Soundcoud was just a suggestion. Achenar was just pointing out that it fits nicely with existing MBC playlists:

@see:https://soundcloud.com/renoise

Unless I have a legit video, I don’t want to present my track on YT.

(Rant deleted, even though Conner_Bw liked it, thx man! :smashed:)

Q: Why not YT?
A: Nothing wrong with YT in general, but it’s a video platform.

I kinda hate so “see” a track on YT, when there is no video, no matter how good or relevant it is. Unless I have a legit video, I don’t want to present my track on YT. It may be ok for oldschool tracks which are really important for our musical history, and there’s no video available, because back in the days they didn’t know of the forthcoming web, let alone YT. But it’s not 1986 anymore, it’s 2016 now. We know about the web, videos, YT. There is no excuse for publishing a new track with some stupid video FX on YT in 2016.

(Hey Monstercat, make real videos, or GTFO)

A lot of people do listen to music using YouTube, it’s one of the most user-friendly services. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 has 5,750,522 views as for now (all the video consists of static cover images). It’s not really wise to not share your musical output there.

That being said, in our situation SC is a better fit indeed. More musicians using it, they’ll be able to repost the playlist, also will look better as forum embedding.

Really want stickers now! hehe.

Glitched your image @Conner_Bw. Track soon…

A lot of people do listen to music using YouTube, it’s one of the most user-friendly services. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 has 5,750,522 views as for now (all the video consists of static cover images). It’s not really wise to not share your musical output there.

True. Actually I “watch” a lot of music there, too.

Sorry I was in a harsh mood last night, ranting…

WOO! I’m in it for the stickers

Sounds like some fieldrecorded reverb experiments would fit perfectly…too good none of my hipster friends owns any furniture.

(Also, “Life restarts at 40” reminds me of “Immortality begins at forty”, some text it’s pretty fun to wrap one’s head a http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2016/04/28/immortality-begins-at-forty/ )

Attempt #1 didn’t really turn out the way I wanted. Not really bad, just really meh, and completely different style from what I wanted. But is almost a complete song.

Attempt #2: exactly what I wanted to do so far. But I’m stuck now and not sure where to take the track from here.

Attempt #1 didn’t really turn out the way I wanted. Not really bad, just really meh, and completely different style from what I wanted. But is almost a complete song.

Attempt #2: exactly what I wanted to do so far. But I’m stuck now and not sure where to take the track from here.

Being I was given a pack of Oblique strategies recently, thought i would draw a card for you. Not sure if this may help but the card reads:

Destroy

• Nothing

• The most important thing

Ps. I was considering sharing xrns, though my track has quite a few plugins and will most probably sound entirely different without them. The file size is also approx 400MB. Is it pointless to share with this in repsect?