I've just started using Renoise recently, and I absolutely love it!
But there are a few things I've been struggling to work out. If anyone can answer any of these, that would be great. (If any of these things are not possible, I will add them to my list of feature suggestions!)
1. What key do you hold down to make the song play temporarily while the key is held down?
2. What key do you press to toggle looping of the current pattern?
3. How to change scroll wheel speed so it only moves one line at a time? I find it really irritating how it jumps over lines!
4. When you enter notes in the editor, it always uses the currently selected instrument. How can you make it so it just changes the note, not the instrument?
5. I'm using a MIDI keyboard. When I use the keyboard to enter individual notes, it's a pain having to press the down cursor key every time I want a rest. Is there any way to assign one of the keys on my keyboard as a rest? That would be really useful!
6. How can you select part of a pattern and play it in a continuous loop?
7. In the mixer screen, is there a way to adjust the relative volume of all tracks at the same time? I thought that holding shift while dragging a slider would do it, but that doesn't work. (This might have to be a feature request?)
8. When looking through folders of samples and previewing them, how do you move between samples (other than using the mouse)? I would have expected the cursor keys to do it, but they don't? Ideally it would be good to use the mouse wheel to move through the samples - that way I can whizz through all the different noises as rapidly as I like.
9. Previewing samples is a little slow on my computer. I want it to be instant but there are delays. I wonder, does Renoise use an index of sample "thumbnails" so that they can all be previewed quickly? (If not this may be a suggestion I'll have to make.)
10. Important: Is there any way to create a 'library' of samples? I hate having to browse through folders to find my samples - switching between folders is very cumbersome and can easily take a dozen clicks just to get to the next folder you want. What I'd like is a library of all my samples, which I can assign tags to (eg "keyboard", "organ", "favourites" etc). That way I can see all my samples at once, and simply click on the tags to filter the results, like you can in other types of programs.
11. Is there any quick and easy way to toggle on/off all effects for a track?
12.Is there a way in Renoise to filter the reverb - eg remove high or low frequencies? (In Audacity's reverb dialog, you get two sliders to control high and low frequencies.)
13. How can you do a multitap reverb in time with the beat? The control only allows you to set a delay in miliseconds which isn't very helpful for the way I use it.
14. How to show the EQ full-screen? To me, EQ is one of the most essential parts of producing music and I want as much control as possible - so the small box is really not helpful in my opinion.
15. Let's say I have three effects on a track and I want to treat them as a group and automate them as one. How can I do that?
16. Is there any way to quickly create an automation across the entire song, without having to create points for every single pattern? I would expect it to work like this: you create a point, and that point now runs across the entire song, until you add more points. To me it seems quite irritating to have to set up automation for every single block. I don't really understand why it's like that?
17. Important: This is a major problem I'm having: how do you see the main editor window AND the mixing controls at the same time? I always want to be able to see what effects are applied to every track, and adjust the panning, without having to go away from the editor. It seems crazy having to switch to the mixer every time I want to do these basic things.
18. Is there a general way to customise the position of all the panels? I would have them in a totally different configuration if I could. For example, I would maximise the height of the editor so that there is nothing above or below it. I'd have the editor on the right and everything else on the left. etc.
19. For the list of patterns, I would much prefer a 'left to right' configuration. I really don't like them running down vertically. Is there any way to change it to horizontal?
20. I also think it's an unnecessary waste of space having two separate panels for patterns and automation - can they be combined somehow? (I'm guessing not so this will probably go on my list of requests.)
21. I hate not having a title bar - I like things to have clear titles at the top, and especially to see at a glance the name of the file I'm looking at. Can this be changed somehow?
Themes and colours
22. I've been playing around with the theme editor to get a color pallette I like. I have a big problem though - when I make the background a mid grey, I am unable to see the pattern numbers on the left! Is there any way to change the colour of that text?
23. I also can't find a way to make the main body back lighter, as well as certain light-coloured background areas. (This might have to go on my request list.)
24. Also in the theme editor, there is an element called "alternate main back and font" - what is this? I can't seem to see any difference when I change it.
25. For track colours, is there any simple way to return all the tracks to the default colours?
26. Is there any way to quickly toggle between two different themes? I'd like to have a 'day' and 'night' theme (I don't want a dark screen in the day, or a bright screen at night).
27. I find the interface to be too small. Is there any way to make the whole interface bigger (including tooltips which are tiny)? Everything looks so small and I'm forced to lean in closer towards the screen. And bear in mind that I only have a low-res monitor so this should not be the case for me! It must look even worse on a 1920x1080 monitor - and I dread to think how it would look at 4k.
28. Is there any way to change the font size/spacing on the main tracker? It's all a little too vertically squashed for my tastes.
29. Do VSTs work with Renoise?
30. I've been using trackers most of my life - I have a bunch of old Protracker files (.pt3) and various types of Amiga files (the type found at www.exotica.org.uk) - is there any way to get these into Renoise?
I know that's a lot of questions. If you see anything you can answer then that would be very helpful, cheers
Edited by Lee B. James, 23 October 2017 - 13:50.