Any way to change the size of fonts?

I have a new laptop and the resolution is a bit of a problem with renoise, it’s really hard to read the file and plugin browser text. I have already increased the font for the pattern editor but is there any way to increase the font size for the browsers and menus?

Using on linux if that makes any difference.

I think on renoise side not much can be done so far. I recall vaguely settings for fonts exist, but those could break the interface i.e. swallow words or so and make the design ugly?

For linux you could consider using the “compiz” window manager. It features a plugin to zoom in/out the whole desktop (and then align a window to the new zoom level), and an experimental plugin that also seems to enable you to zoom in/out individual windows. It works by using the 3d graphics chip to display windows etc. Though I haven’t tested it myself yet. Might soon try it for the opposite effect, to make renoise usable on a 1024*600 netbook.

I might give that a try but I was hope there would be a solution less drastic. Renoise seems to completely ignore any DPI or scaling settings.

Well, I’ve just discovered that kwin has a zoom feature which is handy and works quite well. It’s not perfect because the zoom follows the mouse but it might be a useful option, I will have to play around. I’m really surprised renoise has no DPI recognition, my display doesn’t have a very high resolution so I could just about use it without any tricks but I can’t imagine how this could work on a much higher resolution.

Hi Meef Chaloin

Yes, there is a way to increase the fonts a little, and relieve only a little sight.Process (in Windows x64):

1. Run Renoise.
    1. Menu: Edit / Preferences / GUI / Pattern Editor. Change the V-Spacing value to your best visual preference.Then you can not change the value.
    1. Close Renoise.
    1. C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Skin\Fonts
    1. Copy Config.xml archive in Windows desktop.Make another backup of this file (one file to edit and one to keep the original).
    1. Edit Config.xml with Notepad:

ORIGINAL TEXT:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FontEngine doc_version="0">
  <Standard>
    <Size>10,10</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf</FileName>
    <AntiAlias>YES</AntiAlias>
  </Standard>
  <StandardBig>
    <Size>12,12</Size>
  </StandardBig>
  <Bold>
    <Size>10,10</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf</FileName>
  </Bold>
  <Italic>
    <Size>10,10</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf</FileName>
  </Italic>
  <Monospaced>
    <Size>10,10</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf</FileName>
  </Monospaced>
</FontEngine>

CHANGE TEXT (look at numbers):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FontEngine doc_version="0">
  <Standard>
    <Size>12,12</Size>
  </Standard>
  <StandardBig>
    <Size>13,13</Size>
  </StandardBig>
  <Bold>
    <Size>12.8,12.8</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf</FileName>
  </Bold>
  <Italic>
    <Size>12,12</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf</FileName>
  </Italic>
  <Monospaced>
    <Size>12,12</Size>
    <FileName>Fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf</FileName>
  </Monospaced>
</FontEngine>
    1. Copy the modified Config.xml archive in C:\Program Files\Renoise 3.1.0\Resources\Skin\Fonts. Replace the original with administrator permission.
    1. Run Renoise.
    1. There it is. The fonts will be larger! :unsure:

You can try other numbers, 12 or 11 , respecting the order and the comma… As you will see, 10 is the default value.A value >12 shatters the boxes. You will see the fonts somewhat disengaged and not very attractive, but it will alleviate the view. The size 11 is not completely disengaged. Test the values by following the steps.

Yes, Renoise’s team must review all this. But it will not do so in the short term, nor in the middle.In the meantime, you have to get annoyed with what there is.

Renoise has been with the same GUI since birth.Changing it will be complicated. It is not a priority at all for Renoise Team, like many other things… This topic has already been discussed on various occasions in the forums.

Yes, the Renoise GUI is one of its main problems. It is corseted, not suitable for high resolutions.Someday you will have to go through the hoop and upgrade.Unfortunately, it will be very distant. :wacko:

One last step:

1. Menu: Edit / Preferences / GUI / Pattern Editor / V-Spacing value.Then, you will see what happens, and how the Renoise GUI is built: the boxes are of fixed size.

I hope this will lighten your eyesight…

1 Like

Thank you Raul (ulneiz), that works fantastically and certainly makes less of a strain to view. Hopefully one day we will get proper scaling but for now this will do the job. Thank you so much for taking the time to post and explain this, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.