Photo

Sononym - Sample Browser

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Poll: Renoise Group Discount (48 member(s) have cast votes)

This poll is closed (for group discount, see http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/51554-sononym-sample-browser/page-5#entry372038)

1. OK (9 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Understood (33 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 4Tey

4Tey

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 14:03

But, all ffx really wanted was the ability to delete/trash results from within Sononym itself - a very reasonable request  ^_^

Yes, I know.  I'm not out to attack people and their ideas.  I honestly never said otherwise :unsure:

Edited by 4Tey, 01 October 2018 - 14:18.

#177 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 18:32

OK, just to make sure I understood - you're saying that 

1. The order in which you open the programs is important
- opening e.g. Renoise before Sononym works, but not the other way around?
- so, it's not "just" a driver that doesn't like to be multi-client ? 

2. The problem can only be solved by manually selecting the audio device
- does that mean you have to do this every single time?
- what choice of audio device is actually working without crackling? 

Note that we are going to replace the audio framework used by Sononym with our own (currently using PortAudio).
Of course that won't magically fix any problems with drivers that aren't multi-client capable,
but it certainly will make sure that we better understand and are able to fix any problems that might arise.

No, as soon as Renoise is opened, no matter if loaded before or after, sononym will crackle with the default output settings. Also it is not samplerate related, doesn't matter if Renoise is 44,1 or 48khz. using any other audio app aside to Renoise, no crackle will appear. But if I set my audio device explicitly in the sononym's settings, the crackles are gone. I only setup the config one time in sononym. It's not a show stopper, only wanted to mention, because maybe people are confused about crackles.

Edited by ffx, 01 October 2018 - 18:33.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#178 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6988 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 01 October 2018 - 18:40

Thanks for the details!

But if I set my audio device explicitly in the sononym's settings, the crackles are gone.

Ah, OK. I thought you couldn't get playback to work without the crackles...
But indeed, the default settings are supposed to "just work". Hm!

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#179 kytdkut

kytdkut

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 22:30

The "Pitch" column in Sononym is actually offset 1 octave (lower) from the Renoise spectrum view. Why?

Renoise shows 440 Hz as A-5. What am I missing?

I'm just being curious, I don't really care.

----

I'm having a blast using Sononym & Renoise via Sonoymph tool... feels like the future

#180 robohymn

robohymn

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 19:07

Just testing out the demo.

Holy sh*t. Now I know what I want for Christmas this year. Very nice work.

#181 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:08

Indeed also how I'd imagined "copy path" to work with multi-selections!
The "real" ability to trash files should still be implemented, but this could be useful in other ways.

Maybe cool would be, if you could export a collection as CSV file, or delete it's files (after 3 security warnings) directly.

Another idea: export a collection as new sample collection into a new dir, so a folder structure in some way is created and samples are copied to it. So u could extract the samples u need into a separate dir structure, or sample creators having a big time.

Edited by ffx, 27 October 2018 - 09:09.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#182 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6988 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 15:38

@kytdkut: haha, good question - there is (AFAIK) no _hard_ standard for the octave assignments, only one for the absolute frequency a (MIDI) note number is supposed to represent.

And, I suppose (always been my assumption) that with Renoise, it's because it's tradition for trackers to have the octaves assigned like this. 

Another idea: export a collection as new sample collection into a new dir, so a folder structure in some way is created and samples are copied to it. So u could extract the samples u need into a separate dir structure, or sample creators having a big time.

If I understood you correctly, collections are already capable of this - you can create your own folder structure, and when you add files to the collection,

they are "synchronized" to whatever location you have picked for the collection. You can even rename files, without losing the connection to the source file(s). 

In addition, you can "Save copy as" from the export dialog, which will create a standalone snapshot of the collection - this is what you're looking for, I guess? 

(in fact, the automatic export is too smart for some peoples taste - it's been suggested that the this should be something that you could disable too). 

• ffx likes this

#183 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Music, music, music ...

Posted 12 November 2018 - 18:55

The windows version 1.0.3 of sononym is currently 1.0.3 beta2. The new update checker tells me, there is a new version online, but i only can download 1.0.3.

Edit: Nevermind, download link was fixed.

Edited by toimp, 12 November 2018 - 19:56.

#184 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6988 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 20:15

The windows version 1.0.3 of sononym is currently 1.0.3 beta2. The new update checker tells me, there is a new version online, but i only can download 1.0.3.

Edit: Nevermind, download link was fixed.

Yep. Update checker was immediately helpful  :lol:

#185 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 22:33

Yep. Update checker was immediately helpful  :lol:

:) I've tested the new version abit. It seems similarity search is not working for me, when its searching my whole sample lib. It starts searching with results, but when its finished, it shows me: "Failed to compute similarity: Source is too large - Similarity search: Error" Maybe 111.3K samples are too much? When i have a folder as additional filter, it works.

#186 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6988 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 17:19

"Failed to compute similarity: Source is too large - Similarity search: Error" 

Thanks for reporting this.

I couldn't reproduce the problem - but at least, now it's on the radar :-) 

Since we don't yet know what is causing it, I can't really say how you can avoid it. But I regularly use a collection of 200K samples myself, so it's definitely possible

(and the same was of course done during testing, with upwards to 500K samples .. at which point I would probably filter by subfolders anyway :-) 

#187 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 20:31

I try to figure out if something in the log will be shown. I deleted all log files, during sononym was running, did a similar search again and sononym crash about the Log.txt.

After this, i try it again but the log doesn't have more information:

2018-11-14T19:28:02.051Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT `filename`,`status`,`category_signature_VR`,`class_signature_VR`,`spectrum_signature_VVR`,`spectrum_features_VR`,`peak_VR`,`tristimulus_VVR`,`pitch_confidence_R`,`pitch_VR`,`rms_db_R` from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 109750

2018-11-14T19:28:02.592Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT `filename`,`status`,`category_signature_VR`,`class_signature_VR`,`spectrum_signature_VVR`,`spectrum_features_VR`,`peak_VR`,`tristimulus_VVR`,`pitch_confidence_R`,`pitch_VR`,`rms_db_R` from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110000
2018-11-14T19:28:03.037Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT `filename`,`status`,`category_signature_VR`,`class_signature_VR`,`spectrum_signature_VVR`,`spectrum_features_VR`,`peak_VR`,`tristimulus_VVR`,`pitch_confidence_R`,`pitch_VR`,`rms_db_R` from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110250
2018-11-14T19:28:03.600Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT `filename`,`status`,`category_signature_VR`,`class_signature_VR`,`spectrum_signature_VVR`,`spectrum_features_VR`,`peak_VR`,`tristimulus_VVR`,`pitch_confidence_R`,`pitch_VR`,`rms_db_R` from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110500
2018-11-14T19:28:04.175Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT `filename`,`status`,`category_signature_VR`,`class_signature_VR`,`spectrum_signature_VVR`,`spectrum_features_VR`,`peak_VR`,`tristimulus_VVR`,`pitch_confidence_R`,`pitch_VR`,`rms_db_R` from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110750
2018-11-14T19:28:04.694Z - error: [RENDERER] Failed to compute similarity:  Source is too large

#188 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6988 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 21:39

Thanks a lot, this could be helpful.

Do you mind sharing the OS you're using as well - Windows, MacOS, Linux? 

#189 toimp

toimp

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 22:27

I'm on windows 10.

• danoise likes this