New Tool (2.8): Dj Tools: Crossfader

Hello,
today I wrote a tool which name says all: Crossfader. I just wanted to be able to crossfade between (send) tracks.
With ASIO and multiple outputs, it is also possible to determine additional send tracks for cueing/prelistening the mixing with headphones. To achieve that, you have to set four send devices: two master and two prelistening sends. Then set per track two send devices: First the prelistening Send with “Keep source” enabled, and then as master with “Mute source” enabled.

3752 crossfaderbig_v13.png

The sliders can be controlled via midi.
I guess the rest of the tool is quite self-explanatory, anyhow any comments, bug reports, ideas welcome. :)/>/>

Download (1.3):
from Tools page

v1.3:

• added keybinding to start the tool via custom key combination (Preferences->Keys->Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader)
  • added “Left”, “Center”, “Right” buttons: sets the master crossfader directly to the left, center or right without fading.
  • added “Ignore” button: if activated, moving the master crossfader sends no values (helpful for controlling the crossfader with midi).

PS: I know there is e.g. the hydra device to crossfade, but the problem is, that on the most left and most right of the crossfader, the volume is higher than in the middle (what is no real crossfade behaviour)

I forgot to handle the midi events, assigning to a midi controller did not have any effect. Fixed in 1.1, should work now.

excellent!!! thanks for this =)

Thanks! :)
I have uploaded it to the tools page.

http://www.renoise.com/tools/dj-tools-crossfader

Very cool. Nice work!

Oh god, mad fun.

Interestingly, I like the behaviour of operating on the PRE-mix volume (instead of post-mix as I expected) as it ends up working as an ‘intensity’ slider on my compressed and distorted tracks/sends :D

Looks like a fun tool, but why did you decide to use the really fiddly vb:minislider instead of the full size vb:slider? I’m guessing because vb:slider also has the value changer positioned to the left of it, and that looked a bit weird?

Well, how about this… You can actually provide a height for the vb:minislider to make it a bit easier to grab onto :)

3273 cie-dj-slider.png

Nice :)

Exactly :)

Oh thanks, I did not knew this, this is great! I will include this in the next version. :)

Version 1.2 added to toolspage.

new:

• increased the height of the sliders (thanks to dblue)
  • added Blockloop section to control blockloop value via midi button

With the blockloop buttons you can switch directly between different blockloop ranges. Useful for making some repeater like breaks.
I needed it for my setup, maybe it is useful for someone else.

3605 crossfader12.png

FR:
Could a definable keyboard shortcut be added, to make the crossfader instantly fade between A and B, I don’t always have a midi controller available and would like to use this tool for referencing. I’m currently using a hydra with gainers to do this as the slider to switch is always available in the mixer view, using this tool I would need to open the tool every time to do the same.

Actually just keybind to show the gui would be better.

Good idea, please see the first post for a new version which lets you define a keybinding (Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader) to show the gui.
I put it on Alt+C

Nice one, Thanks. When saving this tool as part of a song template on reloading the crossfade routing is lost, anyway to fix this or is it not possible?

It’s possible to write to the pattern using tools, so with a bit of math it could be programmed.

By someone more competent than me, at least ;)

There is a new update on the tools page:

v1.3:

• added keybinding to start the tool via custom key combination (Preferences->Keys->Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader)
  • added “Left”, “Center”, “Right” buttons: sets the master crossfader directly to the left, center or right without fading.
  • added “Ignore” button: if activated, moving the master crossfader sends no values (helpful for controlling the crossfader with midi).

Thank you.
I think currently this is not possible to save settings of a tool with songs. We have to wait until the api provides such a features.

Edit: problem solved - the problem was with the Renoise song l was using, it had complex routing.

Hi HeadphoneCue, nice you got it solved, thanks for feedback. :slight_smile:

Blockloop button doesn’t seem to do anything here?

(3.1 issue maybe? I’m new to the tool)

Also: I really like this, it’s potentially very useful live, but not really until the routing and MIDI mapping can be saved with the song.

BUMP – is there any chance that it’s now possible to save crossfader routings/mapping with songs?? …maybe?