#1 TanookiMonk

TanookiMonk

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, Music, VideoGames

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:00

Just found a way to make a Manual Pwm. I made this for making chiptune sounds but you can use this technique to do all sort of sample switching you might like.

https://www.dropbox....Pwm Manual.xrni

#2 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:19

Hm, it seems to have only hard steps of different PWM settings. Imo in this way it's useless or too complicated. Nevertheless thank you for your effort!

I think you can just take a saw on one oscillator and a reverse saw on the second. Now you can simply control the PWM modulation by slightly pitching oscillator 2:

Renoise 3 simple PWM using reverse saw

Edited by Jurek, 26 January 2014 - 18:35.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#3 TanookiMonk

TanookiMonk

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, Music, VideoGames

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:48

Hm, it seems to have only hard steps of different PWM settings. Imo in this way it's useless or too complicated. Nevertheless thank you for your effort!

I think you can just take a saw on one oscillator and a reverse saw on the second. Now you can simply control the PWM modulation by slightly pitching oscillator 2.

For sure i would like to have a smoothier way, but this method give you the possibility to chose between 80% 70% 60% and 50% pulse width wich was intended for chiptune needs like i said earlier. So for me it is very usefull, plus, the technique of the reverse saw imply that lower notes will have a slower rate than the higher note and does not give you an accurate square wave form for chiptuning.

But if you want you could add multiple waveform to perfom a smoothier result (Even tho it will never be as smooth as a synth). My goal in sharing this instrument was more for showing a sample switching method that you could use for any sound you might like !
  • spacecult likes this

#4 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:56

That's true. You could implement a pwm start offset also like this:

It's just the start offset, no manual modulation.

Renoise 3 simple PWM using reverse saw with start offset

But you will hear now some pitching on higher values.

What's really missing in the sampler modulation is a play/loop position offset.

If you also believe that the sampler modulation should be able to target the sample position/loop position,
>>> then please vote for this feature request! <<<

Edited by Jurek, 26 January 2014 - 22:32.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes