Can't target all parameters in a plugin when automating

Hey, everyone.

Before I even start, let me say that I used the search function and didn’t find any threads on this subject.

Now, allow me.

I’ve been facing a small (but annoying) issue when automating plugin parameters in Renoise.

The thing is: Renoise doesn’t let me automate all of them in the pattern sequencer. It’s like there’s a limitation of how many I can “reach” with right mouse click.

One example is Devious Machines Infiltrator, which has about 10 different submodules in sequential order.
Each of these submodules has its own parameters: On/Off; Dry/Wet; Stereo Width; etc.

Renoise can only automate up to 4 different of these submodules in the pattern sequencer. After a certain number of parameters, the “right click to insert automation in the tracker” function simply doesn’t work. This means the other 6 remaining submodules cannot be automated this way (unless I change their order and replace one of the first 4).

Now, silly question time:
Is this a MIDI or Hexadecimal limitation?
I’m aware MIDI can only reach 0-127 and hex 0-255. Still… I’m not sure why I can’t target some of the knobs.

Is there a workaround? Anyone else facing this?

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

:thinking: The only limit I’m encountering is that of the 8 columns… so if you want to maintain a certain cleanliness and a certain order of things, you can’t automate more than 8 parameters per instrument, in reality if you can fit more parameters into the same column, I don’t see any parameter limits but simply a step limit on which to write the automations.

That’s not what I meant!

If you expand any device and scroll enough, you’ll notice the later parameters are not mappeable. Of course this only happens when the plugin has a LOT of params - the case with Infiltrator, where only the first 4 module parameters are mappeable. The other ones… nothing happens when I right click them.

1 Like

Letters and numbers are limited in general, so probably yes.

Graphical automation.

Uh?

I see. I hope there’s another way around. Graphical automation is too clunky with all the snapping between patterns. It’s a pain to edit more complex shapes.

PS: I’ll make a video showing the issue soon enough.

Yes, graphical automation is a little cumbersome in case of complex stuff, but it always works.
Btw, have you also tried the drawing tool yet?

I was talking about the limited number of symbols. :laughing:
0-9 = 10
A-Z = 26
The number of possible combinations of these 36 symbols on a 4 digit space in the pattern editor should be large enough to cover any function in any device/plugin imho. I guess for some reason some combinations aren’t possible.