empty renoise song +masterscopes enabled ...cpu hog

I’ll post some screenshots from process hacker later on …but don’t expect any miracles …
btw I’ve got an advanced task manager …didn’t bother to use b’cause it ain’t showing anything mysterious
Why would this mysterious process that stayed under the radar (if there is any ) mess with renois 3.0 performance all of a sudden ?
And not with …
-renoise 2.8
-reaper
-audiomulch
-reaktor
-pure data …

Dude look at my sig, 6 lines of info, perhaps not everything up to date regarding the drivers, (the hardware doesn’t change that often and when it changes, i also update my sig) but plenty enough of info to provide without requiring to write a whole essay about it.
On the other hand:toimp added a good suggestion to let Renoise simply register this data into the logfile if possible, in that case you could simply provide the logfile and no need to unscrew your system to figure it out.
The Cpu info, platform and audio devices are already are in there. GPU, memory, chipset and driver info could be an added bonus

@gentleclockdivider: :) Was this so hard? Now we have screenshot that proof that renoise will take much cpu. Dont want declare you as liar but your first screenshots wasn’t proof anything before. Process hacker screenshots are not needed, but if you’ll, screenshots of the running threads of renoise would give the devs more information what part of renoise is take much cpu.
We dont want to bother you. Simply try to see it in a point of view of a developer, who needs all informations. Without, they couldn’t do anything. Bugs which are rare and not reproducible are always hard to fix. It seems you are currently the only one with this issue.
Btw. it’s not always right to say: new version, higher cpu = fault of new version. There are so many factors, which can cause it, like antivirus and so on.
Hope the devs will find a solution for you. ;) Now its your turn renoise developers.

It fuckin doesn’t matter what type of motherboard I have .
Have you checked my links …?.
ffs

Dont forget “Help -> Show log files …” -> Log.txt -> anonymize it -> attached it here in the forum.

I was just giving you an example of how clear one can give their data.You gave enough in your previous reply, let me just clear that out for you then.
Usually these matters are always a combination of software (drivers, runtime libraries, platform patches, anti virus) and hardware.
If the devs are capable of getting the most of your hardware and drivers together, the chances of reproducing your issue gets higher and thus also a chance to the solution → I may perhaps sound like very annoying dick, but with the good intentions :)

@vV: It’s not your fault. First, its beta testing time. Renoise 3 is beta and not final. Everyone who’s testing it, should expect this kind of issues and simply create a report like the pinned “The Etiquette Of Submitting A Bug Report” described. gentleclockdivider is currently acting like an angry customer and not like a beta tester who wants to help renoise developers to create a stable, fast and feature rich renoise 3 release. Why is this thread not in the category bug reports?

I have never in my entire life seen anyone anywhere willing to work this hard to support modern software running on a decade old toaster oven computer. And then to see it so unappreciated.

I have used 2.8 on a Sempron 3000+, 7300gs (256mb), 1gb drr 400mhz, windows xp 32-bit. I have it 50km away from me, so it’s a long drive.
The input lagged if direct sound was used and cpu was almost at a constant 100%

Thanks for the details gentleclock. Will try to get my hands on an old single core AMD to test this a bit more in detail with your song, and will also check the lagged recording.

You’ve used a MIDI keyboard for the recording tests, didn’t you? The computer keyboard will indeed start lagging with the UI because it’s bound, running within the UI too.

The stars aligned and I had to visit the house with that Sempron.

I could not replicate the lag with an empty track.

I used the xrns and plugins of Gent.

It does lag more if the spectrum or the scope is active, and pattern follow added a large GUI and so computer keyboard input lag.

Using asio4all instead of direct sound did improve the situation.

But I’ve always had that on that Sempron, even with 2.8, and to some extent on others as well when using direct sound (even at identical estimated latencies).

But one thing didn’t seem right. The spectrum and the scope both seem to take the same CPU power to draw.

I have a feeling the issue is that the scopes and spectrum run in software or something on those systems, since increasing the size of upper frame increased CPU usage proportionally, not so on the modern systems I tried.

Will post video of test if requested.

dxdiag of the Sempron:

No taktik , computer keyboard was used.Midi keyboard died on me recentelijk .Still , Comp.keyboard playing in ren 3 should be the same as in 2.8 Ps. .to those thinking I am mad , yes a lil bit , but still I am doing my share in searching and reporting bugs , have found a few already and reported them’ .Some of the’ fixend, others not , Cheers

First of all , I don’t have this pc for 10 years , it belonged to my dad ( who died 8 years ago ) so , yeah it is a somewaht emotional binding I have with the pc.
On the other hand , you have obviously no Idea what one can achieve when he know’s his stuff inside out .
Reaktor on a 10 year old computer runs perfectly , ok I am not able to run 10 instances of diva or monark ., but in the end I treat my computer like a digital modular +editor for my nord modular …its a fuckin rock solid system …
Renoise , just as a tracker , has no deep synthesis methods , so it should be able to run on an old computer ( apart from the sample based instruments )
And no ,I am not a dirtcheap bastard , atm I have loads of cash …serious , I just want to squeeze every drop out of the current system…

mantra

less is more

and repeat

I never criticized you for using an old machine. My criticism is in your lack of understanding that this is not the norm and any support you get for it at all you should receive graciously, not demand furiously. If you want to continue using an older computer fine, but that’s your choice and you have to accept all the downsides that comes with that choice, one of which is lesser technical support. There is not a modern DAW developer in existence other than the Renoise team that would tell you anything else other than “buy a new computer, we can’t help you.” And instead of appreciating that and working with them and providing them the information they request, you just curse at them and abuse their kindness.

+1

It’s a beta. You get that, right?

Yeah something is going wrong here… I also experience performance dropdowns even my cpu is maybe 4 times faster than gentleclockdividers. I also read then a lot of explanations what’s wrong on my setup, but it isn’t. Renoise 2.8 32bit works quite good, logic, cubase etc. Rock solid… Maybe this is some kind of compiler settings problem or caused by bottlenecks in the architecture of renoise. I dont know. And talking about the gui, here it is never drawn with 60hz even if i set 100 fps or no fps. It’s more like 30hz (could be mac or snow leopard only, and other daws are not faster here, too). I don’t want to stress the renoise developers, I just wish they could take this a serious problem. I love Renoise, and I will use it even in this state.

Is this a feeling or fact, how can you objectively monitor the average rate, hard to do simply by eye? Renoise gui updating slows down here when a track uses up a lot of cpu power, like a videogame which framerate stutters when too much is going on in the screen, but normally it feels snappy.

For what it’s worth, I’m having this problem:

But only when a song I’m working on gets really long. And the more patterns I add the worse it gets. On that song at one point I could click add pattern 8 times and sit back and wait 30 seconds as they were slowly added one by one. Eventually I couldn’t do that because it’d pop an overload error after only inserting a couple, so I had to just click wait click wait.

Can you upload this song, so we can try this, too? Would be interesting if others have the same problem.

I can, but it uses quite a few vst’s. Also be warned it’s about 70 MB (not monolithic but not tiny either). I had some cpu issues just playing the song too, so I’ve been assuming that it’s just the result of too much VST, but I still found it rather odd that this would effect adding a new pattern.

Every VST I used except the choir soundfont is freeware so if you realllly feel like downloading all the VST’s you should be able to almost entirely match the song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr819tuusfe8op2/requiemformy2i2_3.xrns

VST’s used:
Drummica (Kontakt player)
Free Amp 3 Full
MCompressor part of a free pack

You can safely ignore the tuner plugin, and the only other VST I had was the choir font in ARIA player.

edit: My computer: