empty renoise song +masterscopes enabled ...cpu hog

With the pattern follow mode on?
Does it do the same with Pattern Follow mode off?

Just checked, and it does still do the same with pattern follow off.

Tested all this on a new AMD Phenom II X6 with all but the first core disabled and a old Pentium M: GFX updates with pattern follow are running pretty smooth here on both setups. Really have no clue why gentleclockdivider’s old machine performs so exceptional badly with Renoise 3.

gentleclock: which screen resolution and bit depth are you running on that old machine? If it’s running at 16bit, try running it with 32bit colors.
Please also check if changing the “More compatible GFX updates” option in Renoises GUI preferences makes a difference.
Please also check if using either ASIO or DirectSound makes a difference.

64bit OSX builds do indeed use a different low level graphics implementation on OSX. In 64bit builds we got forced to use the new CoreGraphics instead of the old deprecated QuickDraw. And CoreGraphics limits screen updates to ~60 FPS, so this is indeed the mac frame rate on OSX in 64bit builds. The old QuickDraw implementation was also a bit more efficient the way our API does all the screen and window refreshes. Definitely should not be as slow as 30 FPS, but more like 60 FPS.

@Carbonthief: Great song!

@taktik: Could you please test this issue, that it takes several seconds to add a new pattern in Carbonthief’s song? I’ve the same problem with his song on my i7 3770k. It seems there is something strange. Cpu usage of this song is about 15-20%. Vst’s are not needed to reproduce this problem.

Will take longer and longer when adding more and more patterns and/or tracks. This kinda is expected and has nothing to do with overall GUI performance, but of course may be worth “optimizing” a bit more too.

Ok, i thought it could be related. Indeed, would be great, when this will be optimized ;)

Just a minor annoyance anyways, certainly didn’t stop me from finishing the song. It was an experiment with smaller patterns than I usually use too so normally I wouldn’t have that many patterns. I did kind of like the flow of one pattern = one measure but I could go back to my normal 2.

Screen resolution , .pretty standard …out of my head .1240 …@ 1024 … not at my pc atm )
Colors32 bit .
Driver …asio …for edirol ua 25
Switching to direct doesn’t change anything .
More comp.gfx. doesn’t make any diference .

yes I get that
beta 6

In your screenshots, it shows that Renoise uses 56% CPU when you have renoise maximised and the spectrum stretched to its max size also.

I too get an increase of CPU when I do this. With spectrum stretch out in full screen, renoise uses 12% CPU on my quad core.

If I then start moving my cursor around the renoise window, the CPU usage jumps to around 20%.

This is expected though, right?

@taktik
Maybe this could be some valuable information notsure… ut when rendering a selection tosample, the screen update is also verryslow .;i amtalking about 2/3 frames per second…comparedtorenoise 2.8.
This o coursehas no influence on the rendered part …

Also, why not let us record when renoise is focused in mixer view ,or any other view but pattern view.
It might be a temporarily solution to the (my ) problem ,

is this being ignored ,will there be any future improvements ???