Milkytracker Is The Dope

nice pics Raina!

avb:
vsts are compiled for pc are x86 architechure.
vsts compiled for osx are ppc architechure.
afaik there is not any vsts compiled for strongarm or xscale architechures.

the only thing even close to plugins on a pda is some packages that Mda of smartelectronix made. in which you would have to use his suite*

yep yep, tracking with milkytracker on my ppc is great fun but i feel much more comfy when im sitting in front of my regular pc (ok, laptop is enough too : ) btw. sharp zaurus version looks even more limited to me ; )

anyway my dream of composing “on the go” finally came true with milkytracker!

woah! pic looks cool yeah…

but be honest, isn’t this a waist of money?

uh you talkin to me?
if you were then no, i bought the zaurus like at least 2 years ago for like 175 usd, i had set out to buy a pda just for ebooks, but then after lots of research i found the zaurus,& at the time i was very interested in network security an it is a linux machine in the palm of my hand, i used it to learn linux quite a bit, since it has all the functionality of a desktop box.
all of the emulators work on it, but i dont play games much. i’m using it now to learn ruby, by fiddleing with writing ruby scripts.

i just recently realized after chatting with Peter that i shouldnt use the keypad for inputting notes, theres 2 slots on it for sd/mmc & cf an i have them filled with gig cards, so 2 gigs at the moment of storage, lots of mods an samples.
once the 8gig microdrives an cf cards are cheap i’ll get one of them, but mainly jsut wating on the very high storage in the sd, that one i use mostly. eventually i will be going to something newer but im not goinng to pay more than 175usd for anything less than 3 times the abilities as the zaurus.

the only thing bad about the zaurus right now is the damn battery, when i bought it the batteries were like 10usd now they are 60-70usd, an its really 50/50 on if they are good.

i donated over half the price of the zaurus to milkytracker an i still think it was worth it. i guess its all in your perspective.
i walk aroudn with it in my pocket, even tho the battery only last like 30minutes atm on full display brightness, adter that i just need to find a power source.

oh yeah, one more thing, after using it for a bit you start feeling very futuristic!

cuz you got the oldschool sound just chilling there in your hands.
makes you kinda feel like you back at that time but in the future.
you kinda start feeling like the japanese kid in the film goonies. xD

been dribbling over these things for the last two days. The ds thing looks cute but a milkytracker on palm? Sold sold sold. Have just sold my mpc/asr combination and the idea of getting a better sequencer/sampler solution for live stuff that fits in my hand… well… :)

So a little question. If I was foolish enough to want to buy a pocket pc just for on the go tracking… what would be a good choice of machine? Could anyone point me in the direction of a current discussion/list on what might be a good palm pc buy for this use at the end of 2007? i wonder how much id have to spend.

Heresy!

;)

yes was taking a peek at that too kaneel… thought id try them both and see what suits best and is most stable.

Might be a while though its looking a like its going to take some time to work out what hardware to buy… there is a LOT around. If the ipaq in the piccies here runs it ok then i could really buy something cheapo off ebay :)

But theres something rather beautifuly basic about emulating effects too…
With a semi decent pocket pc wave editor and very slightly better instruments i could happily devote myself to becoming a ipaq tracking monk :)

Kaneel have you (or has anyone else) used chibitracker on pocket pc?
I have sod all idea of how to install it on the third hand ipaq ive just got hold of.

Milkytracker works though. On the pc its too mousey but here… feels lovely to use. I think id prefer chibi due to its slightly better instruments.

Posted on the forum… dont hold out much hope… the place is more raggedly lonely than a cluster of 4 pigeons fighting over some 3 am vomit.

It’s not about the effetcts.

It’s about the melodies and composition… effect boy :P

Ive had a weeks play with milkytracker on an ipaq (which is currently being exchanged for one that holds some bloody charge)

Works very well indeed! Lots of thought has gone into making it usable on the tiny screen.

Its not perfect of course. No instrument filters (though you can filter samples in the wave editor). No effects which nah isnt a prob its quite fun to emulate and anyway i can happily do stuff like that later after moving it to the desktop. Oh and it has a bit of latency from its little keyboard… but id ahave been a dong not to expect that.

I kind of hope there end up being a few more trackers or sequencers in general on pocket pc. I cant believe no ones made some kind of monome emulation. The touch screen and wireless on these things is screaming for that!

cellphones.
-once google gets its platform solid standing.

yes, the infamous Android. I`m wating for this platform too.

p.s. Tried Nitro Tr on DS and Milly on Audiovox PocketPC. Seems Milky is better.

While we’re on the topic of milky tracker, the folks over at #milkytracker (one of our sister-channels on irc.esper.net) were inquiring as to what renoise users prefer in the renoise UI over that of milky tracker… and perhaps anything that may also pertain to the .XM format… no VST stuff though. Any ideas what insight milky could gain from the Renoise camp?

Renoise just about working on my Asus Eee (dual-booting Windows and Xubuntu). Screen res is 800x480, so most of the GUI is chopped. It’s clocked at around 700mhz currently, but I’ll put that up to 900 (still won’t be enough for Renoise - I just wanted to try running it:) ). RAM is 512DDR, but that’s going up to 2GB when it arrives. I took the photo from far back so you can see the relative size of the Eee, compared to some headphones and a keyboard etc. Sorry for the phone-quality pics, but my proper camera’s not very good either…

And Milky, which runs beautifully in either Linux or XP on the Eee, with custom screen-res and fullscreen etc:

I had some flac loading problems when I fired up one of the tutorials in Renoise - it mentioned device space (of which there is a considerable amount free) so I’m putting it down to the general instability of XP with such a small amount of RAM and no paging file (too heavy on the SSD!). Hopefully the 2GB will give it a kick up the arse.

And to respond to BYTE, as I did in the channel, Milky needs to consolidate its wonderful waveform generation features with a ‘Render to sample’ feature, a la Renoise:D

UPDATE: It’s now playing some of the other tutorials quite happily… Maybe after clocking it back to stock speed (900) and putting the RAM in, this will be a good live playout machine for really minimal control - like, say, every track bounced to wav/flac and just one or two VST effects controllable with my Novation X-Station… All that’s missing from that pretty picture is a sequence manager in Renoise for on-the-fly order changing and looping:D

ANOTHER UPDATE: Oh, and yes, Milkytracker on PDA is great too - I’ve been kickin’ it for a couple of years now, but now that I’ve got the Eee I’ll probably not look back. I drive around a lot, rather than using bus/metro, so I don’t get the opportunity for much commuter composition, but it’s perfect for people who do.

Nice pics light. Trackers are going to keep cropping up on phones, handhelds, pdas and tiny laptops and i find it quite fun to follow.

Ive got a gp2x f200 on the way… i cracked… Will run milky and piggy tracker and just live with the AA batts.

Milky needs the render to new sample feature. On the pc its made renoise a staggering app for sound design but on a handheld where space and memory are more important itd make even more difference. Mixing samples and resampling emulated effects would be useful.
It should also nick the tweaks to the renoise pattern arranger.
Oh and i may have missed the setting to change but i couldnt find any audition function in its own browser.

Boy, this is great information
I have a pocket PC since a year and dind’nt even know there was a tracker for it !!

Thanks for the info
Just installed it and it runs on my Acer n50 pocket PC

k

I’m kind of interested in getting a pocket pc now so I can track whilst on the bus and such… then import my songs into Renoise to ubarize them at a later time