Multiple Redux Instances Introduce Playback Lag (Logic X and Reaper)

Sigh. I am going to bump this thread yet again…

Having exact same issue. Reaper 6 Win10 x64

Demoing and checking for updates since the vst was released. And yes - thats the only reason i don’t want to buy it. Sigh

1 Like

Thank you for posting that you’re experiencing the same problem. I don’t know why the developers haven’t entered this thread at all. :frowning:

Thank you for bumping this. I am moving some of my projects to Logic X myself. I was about to buy Redux (have not tested it yet), as many parts of the projects simply can’t be reproduced without it.

Please let us know your findings once you test with the demo.

Yep, I have the same experience in Reaper. Multiple instances will progressively introduce more delay on playback starting, no matter if they have zero samples or phrases loaded. I can actually enable ‘Flush FX on stop’ in Reaper settings to introduce the same exact lag/delay on playback stop.

It’s not a dealbreaker for me as I mainly use Redux for programming drums or breaks + bouncing sequences to audio, so rarely have more than one or two instances per project, but I can see it being absolutely intolerable for anyone who wants to use lots of Renoise instruments in one project.

It’s plausible to me that the lag/delay is some necessary part of having phrases work properly or sync up with the host, but it happens even without using phrases.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting that you also experience this problem. As you suggested, it’s intolerable for me when using many instances of the plugin, as I must with several projects.

The developers still don’t seem to be interested :frowning::man_shrugging:t4:

I’m really sorry for the very late reply. I never have seen this thread until now. Probably I’ve set the watch status to disabled by accident. Haven’t ignored this thread on purpose.

Regarding the issue:
Redux only reports latency to the host, when it actually does introduce some. And it only introduces some, when using DSP FX in the instrument which introduce latency: for example when oversampling is enabled in the devices or in the compressors. So this definitely should not happen when not using any FX.

Could you upload a little Logic or Reaper (preferred) song where this still happens for you? I’ll then test this in detail…

4 Likes

Here’s a quick Reaper (6.25) project file, I just threw Redux onto 15 tracks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rVprjuRaFdyLT3yHeP120FScs9ubDCEc/view?usp=sharing

Troubleshooting this on my end it looks like unticking ‘Hard reset on playback start’ in the VST compatibility settings (from the + button in Reaper’s VST wrapper) solves things.

Something else I noticed before fiddling with the VST compatibility settings: under Preferences/Plug-Ins/VST, turning on ‘Don’t flush synthesizer plug-ins on stop/reset’ eliminated the latency, but likely not a setting anyone wants to leave on lol

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I linked to a Logic example in my earlier posting:

I don’t have Reaper, sorry.

Thanks. That exactly seems to be the problem - not the latency. Flushing all internal buffers takes quite a while in Redux. I’ll try to optimize this as much as possible to get rid of the lag.

4 Likes

Isn’t it possible to flush it on stop?

The host decides when to flush the buffers. This is not controlled by the plugins.

4 Likes

Will be fixed with the next update. Sorry again for the really long delay here.

8 Likes

Thanks so much for addressing this! I am looking forward to the next release.

when is the next update. Because redux really seems to make reaper constantly processing which introduces lag.

I just saw there’s a bug fix for this issue listed in the new version’s change-log, and will be checking it out. Thanks to the developers for the notification email. Hopefully I’ll be buying Redux shortly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.