[solved] Gain/headroom issue in Renoise V3.0.1

Suddenly, my whole project is 4 dB quieter, every channel outputs at a 4 dB less than it actually should. Great, extra headroom, right? Nope. When I compensate for it, the master bus starts clipping at around -4 dB.

I would use the template form to issue this report, but the form doesn’t really fit with my problem. I don’t know what causes this and what steps are necessary to recreate the conditions of my current predicament. It randomly happened fairly late into some preliminary gain staging (I’m still writing the track). It’s not an issue with my sound driver either since these settings are identical to the ones in other tracks I’m currently workig on.

Don’t know if this makes a difference but the plug-ins used in this project are:

Audio Damage Eos

Fabfilter Pro-Q

GVST Gmonobass

D16 Group Devastor 2

NI Massive

Sonic Charge Microtonic

BPB Filtercrusher

NI Guitar Rig

Audio Damage Dubstation

TAL Flanger

NI Driver

I use a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 audio interface and the supplied ASIO driver.

There is nothing on the master channel, except for a Maximizer with no boost and the threshhold at -0,020 dB. I have more than enough headroom left where the maximizer is not activated and it’s solely there to save my ears and monitors incase something like a gain spike or feedback loop is making a lot of noise.

did you remember to check that the POST-master fader also is set to 0? :slight_smile: i’ve made that mistake a few times in the past hehe.

did you remember to check that the POST-master fader also is set to 0? :slight_smile: i’ve made that mistake a few times in the past hehe.

Haha, I was prepared to hang my proverbial head in shame. But nah, that’s not the issue. It’s set to 0 dB. But thanks for your help!

Edit: oh god. this is the most embarrassing thing ever. I checked my Maximizer repeatedly and couldn’t find anything off with it… until now again. And for some reason the ceiling value is off, which is odd because I don’t tend to touch that part generally.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along, move along.