2 part beginner question

I have 2 particular issues in Renoise that I am having trouble finding the answer to, i am hoping you can give me your advice on the subject.

First it seems that I cannot keep my VST windows open, I go to plugin and external editor and it is fine, but if I want to go back to edit and play the pattern while tweaking mys sound, the GUI for my VST disappears. This is not consistent, sometimes it satys open, any advice on keeping it open until i close it manually?

Next i am having trouble wrapping my head around the tracker work flow. In particular I am used to Piano roll, where I play with the keyboard until i get something approximating what I want, then I manually tweak the note lengths and timing to get the rhythm and sound i want.

Any advice for a Typical DAW users who is used to piano roll workflow on adjusting note length, spacing etc.?

Hey Joshua,

keep my VST windows open

You can use the ‘pin’ button to affix the plugin window to the screen

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Plugin#Plugin_Instrument_Properties

adjusting note length, spacing

Tracker workflow is defined by the use of keyboard. So I would recommend taking a look at Preferences > Keys.

In you case I would highlight the following:

CTRL+SHIFT+Insert : Insert new row in column (push down)

CTRL+SHIFT+Delete : Delete row in column (move up)

CTRL+SHIFT+F3/F4/F5: Cut/Copy/Paste column

Notice how all these shortcuts are using the CTRL+SHIFT modifier. This indicates the column.

But the same approach can be extended to other areas of the pattern:

CTRL : Pattern

SHIFT : Track

For fine adjustments to the timing of notes you have the ‘nudge’ feature in the Advanced Edit panel

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Advanced_Edit

Also, here is a pretty cool editing idea implemented as a tool

https://forum.renoise.com/t/nudge-note-block-editing-tool/45609

Thanks Danoise, some of this is definitely useful. The whole work flow is a little alien to me, but I really like it and I am determined to learn it!

So nudge seems to be a good one, is there a way to nudge whole sections at a time?

Also in a piano roll editor with typical midi notes I can lay down a 1/4. 1/8 1/16 notes etc. For instance doing a snare roll start with 1/4 and gradually work your way up to a quick burst of 1/16th or 1/32nd notes, However in renoise i was able to at least space the notes closer and closer on the grid, but at current zoon, or pattern resolution by my calculations i am only putting down 1/16th notes?

I guess I am looking for some way to translate the Midi note length I am used to choosing over to renoise.

Also if I want a longer or shorter note not followed directly by another it seems i have to put a note off? is there any way to automatically do that Ala the 1/2 note or full bar note in a piano roll editor? basically to tellr enoise I am laying down a full note please have it automatically stop at the appropriate length?

Thanks Danoise, some of this is definitely useful. The whole work flow is a little alien to me, but I really like it and I am determined to learn it!

So nudge seems to be a good one, is there a way to nudge whole sections at a time?

Also in a piano roll editor with typical midi notes I can lay down a 1/4. 1/8 1/16 notes etc. For instance doing a snare roll start with 1/4 and gradually work your way up to a quick burst of 1/16th or 1/32nd notes, However in renoise i was able to at least space the notes closer and closer on the grid, but at current zoon, or pattern resolution by my calculations i am only putting down 1/16th notes?

I guess I am looking for some way to translate the Midi note length I am used to choosing over to renoise.

Also if I want a longer or shorter note not followed directly by another it seems i have to put a note off? is there any way to automatically do that Ala the 1/2 note or full bar note in a piano roll editor? basically to tellr enoise I am laying down a full note please have it automatically stop at the appropriate length?

Hi I’m a noobie also !

To get different note lengths I use the Cxx command on the volume column - so if you want a really short note you could maybe use a C05 - or if you don’t need it as abrupt sounding a C09 - depends on the sample really, it’s really handy

Hi I’m a noobie also !

To get different note lengths I use the Cxx command on the volume column - so if you want a really short note you could maybe use a C05 - or if you don’t need it as abrupt sounding a C09 - depends on the sample really, it’s really handy

Ok post fail !!

What I meant to say was…

Yes the grid by default is 16th notes

If you don’t have any room for a note off use the Cxx command - C1 < being almost inaudible - with C9 being the most useful I find