2 Suggestions For Renoise That Would Help Workflow.

Hi Taktik,

Long time no chat. :)

Currently I use Sonar X1 with Renoise rewired and it works beautifully! In fact, I can control Sonar X1 from the Renoise interface and vice verse without any issues (brilliantly I might add)

Two issue though that have arisen over the years that I would like to address which hopefully we can see in the next version of Renoise.

A Count-In first of all. Most modern day sequencers have a count-in built into the software. What currently happens is my 4 tick count-in within Sonar X1 is Renoise start playing automatically without waiting for the count-in to be over. I do know about PreClick in the tools section, but first off it does not work properly under rewire. After it ticks 4 times both renoise and Sonar stop playing. Also if I am recording from Sonar X1, I would not have access to the PreClick function at all times even if it was working as intended. Also it would be nice to have a option to have the metronome on for recording and off on playback.

The other feature I hope youll consider is creating a option to turn on and off the right side CTRL/SHIFT behavior as it is now. I do come from the Soundtracker days on the amiga back in 1994 and I also do know that the early addictions of trackers have always used CTRL and playback and SHIFT to record. In 2011, we have adapted to more modern key configurations of which I hope Renoise can follow. The issue for me personally is I am a left handed composer so I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts. Since I use Sonar X1 and Renoise as a dual composing system, Id like to be able to map the same keys in both software packages. (RIGHT CTRL-Numpad RIGHT CTRL drag copy in matrix, etc). Thats how I do it in every other software package on the market and would really help on my workflow.

Best,

O preclick is great idea, miss it all the times. Its kinda you know…its just preclick. Why it isnt there yet? :D Hope some1 making some list of small things what to add to 2.62

Or 2.7, more like. Whatever. Great ideas, anyway!

Pre-click has been suggested many times and currently we can only hope.

You can clear Right modifier keys but will that do what you want? I’m guessing you actually want them to behave as normal (Left) modifier keys so you can use either, correct? If so then remapping via Scirpting should be possible, although a built-in option may not be a bad idea (Normal, Reversed and Off mode maybe?)

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

"Pre-click has been suggested many times and currently we can only hope.

It really is a much needed feature. Renoise is a excellent DAW on its own, but allot of end-users use it rewired to have tracker based fine tuning sequencing. Its relevant that both the host and slave can have the basic playback functionally working as intended.

You can clear Right modifier keys but will that do what you want? I’m guessing you actually want them to behave as normal (Left) modifier keys so you can use either, correct? If so then remapping via Scirpting should be possible, although a built-in option may not be a bad idea (Normal, Reversed and Off mode maybe?)"

Excatly the behavior I was after. Wanted to basically have RIGHT CTRL functions clone the LEFT CTRL. If this is possible to do in a script Im all ears. :dribble:

Best,

Not 100% sure, hopefully a scripter will answer soon. I am sure I remember a conversation about a script taking keyboard input and re-translating the keyboard presses to be a different key. But now I have a nagging voice in the back on my head saying it was later mentioned that the script window needs focus to work, not working Globally, thus making it actually petty much useless.

Sorry I can’t be of more help but if my niggle is correct maybe an API suggestion for Global Key Captures (and thus translation) may be feasible??

I don’t understand yet what the issue is with the left ctrl/shift shortcuts.
you can assign them to what you want (right?)
count in sure would be nice, a record grid for tiplets too.

Sure you can assign them as you want but you can’t make the Right hand ones work as normal modifier keys, as they do in all other programs.

Open Word (or whatever text editor of your choice) and (assuming Windows here) try Left Shift plus letters (gives CAPITALS) Right Shift and letters (gives CAPITALS) Left Ctrl + S (Offers to Save) Right Ctrl + S (Offers to Save.) You get it yet?

aah ok,
Yes i do now :D

there is a preclick script, also with a keybinding option.
Perhaps not fully perfect, but it does the job…

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/preclick

Does preclick script work with Rewire (it looks like it doesn’t)?

That’s one of the not fully perfect features ;)

Thanks for the responses.

Hi vV :walkman:

“That’s one of the not fully perfect features”

Indeed. I only use Renoise in a rewired environment thus PreClick is not an option I’m afraid. Even if it did not stop the audio engine during playback as it does after 4 clicks in rewire mode, it still is not accessible to turn on from the host while Renoise is rewired as a slave. As it stands. when you have a host and Renoise rewired as a slave, Renoise just starts playing without waiting for the hosts count-in to be complete.

What Id like to see for a Renoise 2.7 is more options for the metronome. Something on the lines of.

Having a state for metronome on while recording and off for playback. A Count-in option and or the ability to wait for the hosts count in within a rewired state.

Otherwise Renoise works brilliantly for this type of setup. Its absolutely fantastic to have tracker based precision sequencing merged into Sonar or any of the other hosts for that matter. Coming from soundtracker 1.0 on the Amiga 1000/500/2000T days (SIDs before that, haha I think I just exposed my age), after working years in the demoscene I could never really let “go” of the type of writing style and always found it to be a powerhorse state of workflow. Now I have the best of both worlds, just hope we can get them playing right in the next release.

I don’t understand yet what the issue is with the left ctrl/shift shortcuts.
you can assign them to what you want (right?)

Normally all windows/mac programs allow the right side CTRL as a modifier to do tasks like hold CTRL-drag to copy, CTRL-S save, CTRL- for a shortcut. Currently only this behavior is allowed on the left side CTRL thus making left handed workflow a bit more tedious. Hopefully we can have a toggle option to switch behaviors to suite the end-users needs.

Best,

Hi All,

One other thing I would like to throw in the rewire requests.

I’d like to see the host software be able to see Renoise instruments (they obviously dont have to attach to a track) but just having midi trigger access in the host would be very nice. I maybe missing something in a setup, correct me if Im wrong?

Usually though on a rewired slave you can point midi tracks to control instruments within the slave sequencer.

Best,

You can’t point MIDI at a Renoise Instrument full stop! A MIDI device can only ever control currently selected Instrument. Something many of us hope will be seen to in a soon to come update. Although it would also really require also being able to tie Instruments to Tracks, as say you had a live performance with one keyboard on pads, another on lead (or a split) you would not want them both going through the same DSP chains in most likelihood.

Hi Kazakore,

In its current state I do see a midiout to renoise rewired within the host, but it does nothing. No playback at all no matter what instrument you have selected in Renoise.

Also within the rewire architecture, you are allowed to point midi to multiple devices within a software package that is not sequencer related. To me it seems that at least as a basic, you would be able to have multiple midi tracks pointing to all the instruments tracks within reason for play access. (Yes I know you would be stuck with whatever dps effects of the current tracks your cursor has active within renoise. Thats fine as long as the list of samples are present.)

Best,